Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 13, 2014, 02:16:32 PM
These were respectively, my number 1 and 2 ranked in first round Group A.  :'(

And both very good records, Ray. I thought Haitink could have been a dark horse to win this comparison, and Stein's is a classic.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Ken B on October 13, 2014, 02:17:23 PM
Well if you and Sarge had both placed it one slot higher ... You could have overcome amw's  semming dictatorial power >:D

Yes, indeed Ken!  :D   amw is a force to be reckoned with.  ;D

Collusion is in order for the final round.   ;)

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 13, 2014, 02:19:42 PM
And both very good records, Ray. I thought Haitink could have been a dark horse to win this comparison, and Stein's is a classic.

For me, in the first round, Haitink's had the best brass sound, while I found Stein's to have the best string sound.  Will be an interesting final round!!  :)

TheGSMoeller

:( Let's begin the parade of the eliminated  :(....

Daverz

Very creative use of scrolling tag.  Don't try this at home, kids.

I note that conspicuous by their absence are:

Klemperer/EMI
Keilberth/Berlin
Muti/Berlin/EMI
Celibidache/Munich/EMI
Leitner/SWR (principal claim to fame on RMCR as the coupling for Leitner's recording of KA Hartmann's Symphony No. 6)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Daverz on October 13, 2014, 02:41:19 PM

Klemperer/EMI
Keilberth/Berlin
Muti/Berlin/EMI
Celibidache/Munich/EMI
Leitner/SWR (principal claim to fame on RMCR as the coupling for Leitner's recording of KA Hartmann's Symphony No. 6)

You seem interested in who gets eliminated and who is possibly still alive, perhaps you would like to participate.

Brahmsian

20 are gone, and how many are left, Greg:)

amw

Hmm, Decca has a lot of recordings of this symphony.

Also, Horst Stein seems to be the only 'old school' recording I actually liked, while being 'meh' about Haitink, Dohnanyi and the Dresden Jochum. Third place in round 1 after the revisionists only due to the horns, and revisiting it, it still holds up quite well. Doesn't seem to be on any streaming service though, and I'm not sure I liked it enough to buy, so can't see if their finale (and the scherzo, which I have not listened to yet—it'll be the last variable for the final round I guess) holds up.

Klemperer/EMI
Keilberth/Berlin
Muti/Berlin/EMI
Celibidache/Munich/EMI
Spoilers!

(Admittedly I think I can guess which one was Celibidache/Munich in round 2)

Moonfish

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 13, 2014, 02:58:25 PM
20 are gone, and how many are left, Greg:)

Perhaps Greg will add some of his own favorites to the elected four at this point in time (that would be funny)!!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Daverz

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 13, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
You seem interested in who gets eliminated and who is possibly still alive, perhaps you would like to participate.

I have to beg off with the excuse that I should be doing work.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Moonfish on October 13, 2014, 03:02:34 PM
Perhaps Greg will add some of his own favorites to the elected four at this point in time (that would be funny)!!

;D Oh I like this plan. But I have been faithful to the scoring (at least up to this point  :-X ) and have been sad to see a few of my favorites go.

And... STOP WITH THE SPOILERS!  :)

Daverz

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 13, 2014, 03:09:47 PM
;D Oh I like this plan. But I have been faithful to the scoring (at least up to this point  :-X ) and have been sad to see a few of my favorites go.

Spoilers?  I'm just reading listings off abruckner.com.

http://www.abruckner.com/discography/symphonyno6inamajo/

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 13, 2014, 03:09:47 PM

I thought Jochum's DG recording would win for sure...   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

*still hasn't recovered from the shock*

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Daverz on October 13, 2014, 03:12:41 PM
Spoilers?  I'm just reading listings off abruckner.com.

http://www.abruckner.com/discography/symphonyno6inamajo/

That is a great site. Been there many times for info, especially when comparing recordings of Bruckner's 3rd and all its editions.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Moonfish on October 13, 2014, 03:12:53 PM
I thought Jochum's DG recording would win for sure...   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Nobody seems too upset over the Jochum/Dresden recording going bye-bye.

Daverz

Quote from: Moonfish on October 13, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

I blame it on a cabal of Jochum haters within the committee.  It's the BENGHAZI! of the Bruckner set, I tells ya.

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2014, 04:42:26 PM
Group X - Round 3 Eliminations

B1/C4 – X3 - ESCHENBACH/LONDON PHILHARMONIC - with an Adagio that scored the most points in Round 2...

One reviewer on Amazon stated :"Beautifully executed performance let down by unexciting fourth movement"

Perhaps these comparisons really should include the whole symphony (which of course is time consuming), but how can one judge a symphony by listening to just one movement? In our first round we probably lost a few recordings that had a subpar first movement. Perhaps those recordings had stellar performances in the remaining three movements?  In a sense we are voting for the performances that held up the sequence of doing well in the 1st, 2nd and 4th movements. What if we listened to the movements in a 2nd/4th/1st sequence instead? Of course, this suggestion completely ignores our own subjective mindset as listeners.  >:D >:D >:D
Anna Lappé

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 13, 2014, 03:15:26 PM
Nobody seems too upset over the Jochum/Dresden recording going bye-bye.

FALSE!!!  :'(  I am even more upset over that one being gone, than with the DG.  Waaahhh!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  Cato also, is probably pretty upset.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Cato

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2014, 02:46:47 PM
Or DG Jochum..... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

AMEN!!! 

0:)
Quote from: ChamberNut on October 13, 2014, 03:31:56 PM
FALSE!!!  :'(  I am even more upset over that one being gone, than with the DG.  Waaahhh!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  Cato also, is probably pretty upset.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Oh yes!  But...now the question of "who will be the winner?" is equivalent to asking "who is better than Saint Eugen Jochum?"  8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brian

Klemperer/EMI
Keilberth/Berlin
Muti/Berlin/EMI
Celibidache/Munich/EMI

Greg said one unlikely contender is still in the race. That could be Venzago, van Zweden, or Marek Janowski. Barenboim/Chicago, Haitink/RCO, and Heinz Rogner are still out there.

EDIT: My SAG (Stupid Ass Guess) as to the final four: Celibidache, Klemperer, Leitner, and Haitink. You couldn't do it without Klemps or Celi. I think maybe Greg means Leitner is the improbable entry. Keilberth and Muti can't both be in, since he said 4 different orchestras. There's a chance Janowski is there. Rogner is eccentric enough that some philistine would have voted it out of the competition by now.   >:D