Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Daverz on October 13, 2014, 02:41:19 PM
Very creative use of scrolling tag.  Don't try this at home, kids.

I note that conspicuous by their absence are:

Klemperer/EMI
Keilberth/Berlin
Muti/Berlin/EMI
Celibidache/Munich/EMI
Leitner/SWR (principal claim to fame on RMCR as the coupling for Leitner's recording of KA Hartmann's Symphony No. 6)
Also missing he hinted darkly is Paternostro/Membran.
There is no Mehta recording, so there's a limit to how embarassing this can prove.  ;D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 13, 2014, 03:31:56 PM
FALSE!!!  :'(  I am even more upset over that one being gone, than with the DG.  Waaahhh!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  Cato also, is probably pretty upset.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Oh, I apologize, Ray:(

Quote from: Brian on October 13, 2014, 03:59:11 PM
Greg said one unlikely contender is still in the race. That could be Venzago, van Zweden, or Marek Janowski. Barenboim/Chicago, Haitink/RCO, and Heinz Rogner are still out there.

EDIT: My SAG (Stupid Ass Guess) as to the final four: Celibidache, Klemperer, Leitner, and Haitink. You couldn't do it without Klemps or Celi. I think maybe Greg means Leitner is the improbable entry. Keilberth and Muti can't both be in, since he said 4 different orchestras. There's a chance Janowski is there. Rogner is eccentric enough that some philistine would have voted it out of the competition by now.   >:D

Oh boy, more spoilers.
Well I guess I'll join...don't forget Davis, Inbal, Eschenbach with Houston, Nezet-Seguin, Furtwängler (mvts 2-4), Andreae, Mehta, Bernstein, Boulez, and Masur.

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 13, 2014, 04:12:27 PM
Well I guess I'll join...don't forget Davis, Inbal, Eschenbach with Houston, Nezet-Seguin, Furtwängler (mvts 2-4), Andreae, Mehta, Bernstein, Boulez, and Masur.

There's a BERNSTEIN???!

Confirmed on Bruckner discography, there IS a Bernstein.

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on October 13, 2014, 04:40:44 PM
There's a BERNSTEIN???!

He only performed 6 and 9, AFAIK.   I found the valedictory DVD of 9 with the VPO quite moving, but could not abide the NYP brass in 6.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on October 13, 2014, 04:40:44 PM

There's a BERNSTEIN???!

Apparently, but don't go searching for all the names i mentioned, they may or may not have recorded the 6th.  :-X  :)

amw

Yes, I'm also curious as to what Greg's mysterious dark horse recording is.

Masur/Gewandhaus? Bolton/Mozarteum? Kempe/Tonhalle? Nezet-Seguin/Montreal? Bosch/Aachen? Svetlanov/USSRSO? Abravanel/Utah? Furtwängler live in Bratislava 1937? Nanut/Ljubljana? Savall/Concert des Nations???

Ok, probably none of those, but it's fun to imagine.

edit: Hmm, when I posted this we were on the previous page. So in sequence this now makes no sense. Whatever.

edit 2: Ok, while Svetlanov is pure fiction, there is a Rozhdestvensky 6th out there. Günter Wand's RCA 6th is also unaccounted for.

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 13, 2014, 05:13:29 PM
Apparently, but don't go searching for all the names i mentioned, they may or may not have recorded the 6th.  :-X  :)

Giulini didn't record the 6th, did he?  ???  He seems to have a great touch with AB's music.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 13, 2014, 06:06:42 PM
Giulini didn't record the 6th, did he?  ???  He seems to have a great touch with AB's music.

I don't think so, Ray. Or at least I've never seen it. The only Giulini I've heard is the 9th, and it's beautiful.

kishnevi

Also absent from the casualties is Colin Davis/LSO Live.
Hopefully, that merely means Our Moderator had the good sense not to include him.
(Let us just say that was the recording I chose to become acquainted with B6 and it was very bad choice indeeed.)

amw

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 13, 2014, 07:11:48 PM
Also absent from the casualties is Colin Davis/LSO Live.
Hopefully, that merely means Our Moderator had the good sense not to include him.
(Let us just say that was the recording I chose to become acquainted with B6 and it was very bad choice indeeed.)
He and Mehta are the finalists along with Boulez and Cantieri/Süddeutsche Philharmonie.

To be honest though, I'm not sure what else we expected after eliminating Karajan, Jochum twice, Haitink, Stein etc. ;)

kishnevi

Quote from: amw on October 13, 2014, 07:16:05 PM
He and Mehta are the finalists along with Boulez and Cantieri/Süddeutsche Philharmonie.

To be honest though, I'm not sure what else we expected after eliminating Karajan, Jochum twice, Haitink, Stein etc. ;)
Not being part of this BC, I can claim innocence in this outburst of  bad taste.  If pressed I would probably pick Karajan as my go-to recording.
Meanwhile I need to buckle down and finish my duties as a Schubert BC juror.

Moonfish

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 13, 2014, 07:22:10 PM
Not being part of this BC, I can claim innocence in this outburst of  bad taste.  If pressed I would probably pick Karajan as my go-to recording.
Meanwhile I need to buckle down and finish my duties as a Schubert BC juror.

I need to remember not to join these comparisons so I can flap my criticism around as much as I want to, eh? Why don't you join in the finals so we can get some good individual taste as part of the winning selection since all participants have failed so far?   >:D
Frankly, I think the outcome has to do with listening to movements rather than complete symphonies plus the factor of groups that each will gear towards specific aspects (each group possibly unique in which aspects that are preferred). I think the whole exercise truly proves that music appreciation is a very subjective endeavor. If we ran the exercise over we would have a different outcome.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

aukhawk

Perhaps there's a little-known recording by Simone Young out there  >:D

Quote from: Moonfish on October 13, 2014, 03:27:09 PM
Perhaps these comparisons really should include the whole symphony (which of course is time consuming), but how can one judge a symphony by listening to just one movement?

My theory: if listening to a recording, then the 1st movement makes or breaks it.  After all, you can always stop listening, so the 1st movement has to hook you.
In the concert hall, it's the last movement which is the most important.  You are a captive audience anyway, and it takes time for the musicians to warm to their task.

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on October 13, 2014, 08:33:56 PM
I need to remember not to join these comparisons so I can flap my criticism around as much as I want to, eh?

Isn't there some rule about imitating Canadians?

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Uploading final links...

There will be 4 folders, F1, F2, F3 and F4 each containing 4 files. Seriously, did I need to explain that?  ::)  ;D
Here's an example of how each track will look inside their respective "F" file , the only difference will be the F marking.

01 F1 - 1. Maestoso.m4a
02 F1 - 2. Adagio.m4a
03 F1 - 3. Scherzo.m4a
04 F1 - 4. Finale.m4a

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 14, 2014, 06:52:36 AM
Uploading final links...

There will be 4 folders, F1, F2, F3 and F4 each containing 4 files. Seriously, did I need to explain that?  ::)  ;D

Consider it Fair Disclosure 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 13, 2014, 07:22:10 PM

Then you definitely need to hear more Bruckner Sixths. That's the weak link in his otherwise great cycle. I'm not surprised he got the boot.

Quote from: Ken B on October 13, 2014, 04:04:48 PM
Also missing he hinted darkly is Paternostro/Membran.
There is no Mehta recording, so there's a limit to how embarassing this can prove.  ;D

There is no embarrassment here. Two of the last four are celebrated Brucknerians. The third is a darling of the critics whose Sixth is venerated by both Hurwitz ("...this Sixth remains the best version of that work yet committed to disc...") and the British critical establishment...a rare miracle of agreement there  ;D  The fourth finalist I have not identified but I trust that my fellow blind "comparitors" have chosen wisely  8)
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 14, 2014, 08:27:27 AM
Then you definitely need to hear more Bruckner Sixths. That's the weak link in his otherwise great cycle. I'm not surprised he got the boot.

There is no embarrassment here. Two of the last four are celebrated Brucknerians. The third is a darling of the critics whose Sixth is venerated by both Hurwitz ("...this Sixth remains the best version of that work yet committed to disc...") and the British critical establishment...a rare miracle of agreement there  ;D  The fourth finalist I have not identified but I trust that my fellow blind "comparitors" have chosen wisely  8)

Sage* words. The peanut gallery needs to stuff it and let this BC wind to its natural conclusion.

*Interchangeable with "Sarge", obviously.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

TheGSMoeller

"LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!" - The Monkey King

Links have been sent, if you didn't receive them and want them, PM me or leave a post here. Let's try at least the end of October for a deadline, I know it's 16 movements so I will be reasonable and allow the time needed.

And PLEASE no spoilers!  $:) <---BPD (Bruckner Police Dept)