Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Oh my goodness this is too good!  :laugh:

3 scores in so far with 3 different first place votes. This is the type of contrast I was hoping for the final round.

kishnevi

(In reply to Neil)
And to further the fun, both of those I placed equally in middle of the pack.

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 20, 2014, 07:19:03 PM
(In reply to Neil)
Well, as I said, not only could I easily imagine awarding F1, F3, and F4 first place, I could also easily imagine MYSELF awarding any of those first place, based purely on mood at the time. F4's propulsive rhythms and electric charge make it probably the most immediately gripping...maybe?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 20, 2014, 07:19:03 PM
(In reply to Neil)
If you have some time to add a few comments about what you liked or disliked about each (whenever you have the time), that would be of interest to me (and probably others).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Daverz

I happened to listen to F1 just before taking up the comparison, so I don't have "unbiased" notes for that one.

Here are my original notes on F2-F4.  I tend to judge recordings of the 6th based on the build up to the end of the first movement and whether the finale seems like a real finale rather than an appendage.

F2: Beautiful string playing.  Lot of personality in winds.  Flowing tempi (not Jochum-like, though).  Not a huge dynamic range.  Closing of movement I not as cosmic or goose-bump inducing as I like.  No complaint in II: as warm and tender as one could want.  III dances nicely, but perhaps a little deliberate.  IV also seems a bit stiff.

F3: First movement opens very deliberately.  But end is pretty well judged.  Majestic, but perhaps not as cosmic as I like.  II is moderate (NB: had not checked timings!)  but not rushed.  III is good, but I would like more swing.  IV is perfect.

F4: Strings too recessed.  End of first movement very earthbound and we get there much too fast.  II & III: Meh.  Seems to wake up a bit in IV.

Some comments on F1:

Beautifully played and recorded.  I'd rate this as near perfect in I, III and IV, but II is going to be the sticking point for most folks.  I haven't decided yet whether the Adagio is stretched beyond the breaking point or not.  Even though the Adagio of F3 is swift by the clock, this interpretation may wear better.  Otherwise I rate them as

F1
F3
F2
F4

with the caveat that F1 is my top recording only for this round, as I haven't participated in the others.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 21, 2014, 01:44:25 AM
You have mail.

Sarge
Thanks, Sarge. I'll probably get to them over the weekend (not before then, anyway).

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 21, 2014, 02:53:22 AM
Sorry , Karlo. I failed, I apologize.  :(
No need to worry, your squad leader cleaned up your mess.   8)

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on October 21, 2014, 03:17:46 AM
No need to worry, your squad leader cleaned up your mess.   8)

Let's just hope he doesn't have to use the bazooka.

Sergeant Rock

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will not be able to post comments (unless the comparison lasts beyond Wednesday) but I do want to get my vote in:

1 - F3 (of course)
2 - F1
3 - F2
4 - F4

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 25, 2014, 01:40:34 PM
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will not be able to post comments (unless the comparison lasts beyond Wednesday) but I do want to get my vote in:

1 - F3 (of course)
2 - F1
3 - F2
4 - F4

Sarge

Thank you, Sarge! It will still be going by Wednesday, unless the other 5-6 voters get done by then.

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Here's the score after Brian and Neal's votes.  ;D

F1 - 5
F2 - 5
F3 - 5
F4 - 5

Total scores, allowing a half point for Jeffrey's F2/F3 tie.

F1 - 13
F2 - 11.5
F3 - 14.5
F4 - 11

Quote from: Moonfish on October 25, 2014, 01:42:34 PM
When are our votes due? Wednesday night?

We could shoot for Wednesday night. But like I said, there are about 5 voters still out there, this race is too close, I would love to get the rest of them in so I would allow more time.

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 25, 2014, 01:40:34 PM

I'd be interested in your comments whenever they are posted. Especially curious why you're not fond of ____. I assume because of the speed and the relentless focus on surface drama?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on October 25, 2014, 03:20:40 PM
I assume because of the speed and the relentless focus on surface drama?
As opposed to the version where they cannot even keep the beat?  >:D
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 25, 2014, 03:28:06 PM
As opposed to the version where they cannot even keep the beat?  >:D
Hey, I AM fond of ____.

TheGSMoeller

amw

Started my listening with F4 just to be contrary. I don't have time & energy right now to listen to more, so my notes, to start with:

The conductor likes to drive right through all of Bruckner's tempo changes (rits, accels etc) and dynamic terracing (lots of places where Bruckner abruptly reduces to pp from p/mp he doesn't bother to get quieter in). He's evidently not a details kinda guy. Sadly that negatively impacts this performance, not only in terms of meaning but in terms of the orchestral playing as well: the string sections are not in perfect unison through most of the Adagio, the very difficult horn and trumpet parts are "belted" with little concern for intonation or tone (partly due to the unremitting fast tempi), the orchestra almost never achieves a real pianissimo when it's called for. The finale is quite exciting, probably more so than anyone but Super Fast Clarinet Trills Guy from last round (& Norrington)—the very end is great—but it doesn't make up for all the smudged passages, ignored fermatas and ritardandi, etc, etc, which divest the music of most of its mystery or spirituality or whatever in favour of pure adrenaline. Probably my last place finisher unless one of the others is even worse.