Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Moonfish

I also need to get my act together and get my vote in!  :-[    I have been swamped with things lately ranging from work, kids and taking care of my wife (that just had major surgery). Still, I have become fascinated with Bruckner through this long-term listening exercise. I HAVE to finish the finals after having been through the previous rounds. It is a true Bruckner marathon.   :P
Gotta....reach.....the... finish....line....  arrrrggggghhhhh......

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on October 31, 2014, 10:13:11 AM
I also need to get my act together and get my vote in!  :-[    I have been swamped with things lately ranging from work, kids and taking care of my wife (that just had major surgery). Still, I have become fascinated with Bruckner through this long-term listening exercise. I HAVE to finish the finals after having been through the previous rounds. It is a true Bruckner marathon.   :P
Gotta....reach.....the... finish....line....  arrrrggggghhhhh......

Hope your wife is OK.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on October 31, 2014, 10:15:07 AM
Hope your wife is OK.

Yes, she is doing much better. :) She (we) just had a rough 18 months, but it is reaching a positive resolution. She went through hip replacement surgery earlier this month and is scheduled for another one in January (and she is only 44). It has been quite a journey.
Thanks for asking!   0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on October 31, 2014, 10:21:08 AM
Yes, she is doing much better. :) She (we) just had a rough 18 months, but it is reaching a positive resolution. She went through hip replacement surgery earlier this month and is scheduled for another one in January (and she is only 44). It has been quite a journey.
Thanks for asking!   0:)
That is young for that. I have had a couple friends in their early 50s had it done, and it turned out well for both.

North Star

I, too, hope the surgery and recovery go well. Mom's cousin (who happens to be a surgeon :D) had a knee replacement a couple of years ago, he managed to wear it off cycling with a faulty technique, and he was around 40 at the time. No trouble with the surgery.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

Oh my! Some things are more important than listening to some music. I hope she has an ideal recovery.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Moonfish

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 31, 2014, 12:51:21 PM
Oh my! Some things are more important than listening to some music. I hope she has an ideal recovery.

Yes, I guess I had to choose my spouse over Bruckner this month!  ;)    She is doing really well, but it was pretty awful during the first week earlier this month. Now she asks me to put on Mozart, Telemann or Baroque music which has to be a good sign of recovery!
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on October 31, 2014, 01:04:55 PM
Yes, I guess I had to choose my spouse over Bruckner this month!  ;)    She is doing really well, but it was pretty awful during the first week earlier this month. Now she asks me to put on Mozart, Telemann or Baroque music which has to be a good sign of recovery!
Fear the request for Webern.

Cato

Quote from: Moonfish on October 31, 2014, 01:04:55 PM
Yes, I guess I had to choose my spouse over Bruckner this month;)   

Difficult choice, but I see that next month will be different!  $:)   And the headline for you will be:

"Bruckner Beats Wife!"   :o :o :o

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Moonfish

Quote from: Cato on October 31, 2014, 04:34:36 PM
Difficult choice, but I see that next month will be different!  $:)   And the headline for you will be:

"Bruckner Beats Wife!"   :o :o :o

???   :laugh:
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Soooooo, Ken and Moon, you guys want to push Mehta to the victory line participate?

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 04, 2014, 05:57:48 AM
Soooooo, Ken and Moon, you guys want to push Mehta to the victory line participate?

Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 04, 2014, 05:57:48 AM

No, thanks. Having dodged two chances to embarass myself by dissing Jochum I think I should play it safe.  8)

TheGSMoeller

Well thank you all for being patient. I would like to still let Ray have a crack at the final round when he returns. One more score could shake the order up a bit.

Interesting fact for the final round: There is an almost 50 year span between the oldest recording to the newest recorudng that made it to the final.

aukhawk

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 05, 2014, 02:18:55 AM
Interesting fact for the final round: There is an almost 50 year span between the oldest recording to the newest recorudng that made it to the final 1st and last rounds in this blind.

;)

(looking forward to more lurking)

Sergeant Rock

QuoteThere is an almost 50 year span between the 1st and last rounds in this blind

Seems like it  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

I know this. Still waiting for Ray, hopefully by this weekend he will be back. Otherwise I will possibly reveal the winner of the Golden Bruckner Boot. Or if anyone else has a better trophy idea.

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 06, 2014, 03:52:56 AM
I know this. Still waiting for Ray, hopefully by this weekend he will be back. Otherwise I will possibly reveal the winner of the Golden Bruckner Boot. Or if anyone else has a better trophy idea.
I'm thinking a frosted mug of beer.

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)