Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Although we have a thread dedicated to HIP music, Mozart's output was so great that I think that a thread dedicated to HIP recordings of his works is necessary.  So, I am honored to start the new Mozart HIP thread. ;D

Here are a few of the great HIP Mozart recordings that I love:
Andrew Manze and the English Concert: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
René Jacobs: Le Nozze di Figaro
Jos van Immerseel: Complete Solo Clavier-Concerte
Bilson Gardiner: Complete Piano Concertos
Tafelmusik: Symphonies 40 & 41

SonicMan46

Just bought the Ronald Brautigam Piano Sonatas set a few months ago, and have the Piano Concertos w/ Bilson & Gardiner in the mail - should arrive early next week, if not sooner.

But, looking forward to other recommendations -  :D

Bunny

I've just listed this article in the Beethoven thread, but I think is should be listed here as well:

Robert Levin wrote a very informative and interesting paper as the keynote address at a conference at Cornell University on the 28th of March, 2003 about Mozart and the Keyboard Culture of  his Time that I would love to recommend to all the hipsters here.  In it he discusses the nature of keyboard performance, improvisation and variation; how Mozart helped his sister "fake" improvisation by composing modulating preludes and other pseudo-improvisations, which she evidently memorized and performed as if she were spontaneously inventing them. (Levin, p.4); as well as discussing the construction of the fortepianos of the day and how that affected the music composed for them.

Have fun reading!

http://www.biu.ac.il/hu/mu/min-ad04/LevinMOZART.pdf

lukeottevanger

Quote from: James on April 12, 2007, 02:16:39 PM
another vote for bilson/gardiner, heard a few of these, quite nice...

Am I wrong to find this positivity confusing, in the light of what you've ben saying re. the misguidedness of HIP keyboard in Mozart and Haydn on the Haydn thread?  ;) :)

Que

Some choral music recommendations.
This set with 10 of the masses has marvelous performances.
Beautiful fleet performances, not the more "Haydnesque", accented approach like Harnoncourt.
Vocal contributions by the likes of Schlick, Frimmer, Prégardien and Mertens.
He gives in the C minor Hogwood a run for his money. Maybe not a set not to replace all favourites of the major pieces but ideal to "fill the gaps" on the other masses in a superb, most satisfying way.
BTW sound ('88-'91) is excellent

Recommended! (buget price)                             For the requiem my absolute favourite is Bruno Weil:

click picture for link

And this one - excellent fun! :D

Q

Bunny

Que, I see that the Mozart Requiem now has a new cover!  As it's also still available in its older artwork, for those interested in purchasing this could you let us know whether it has also been remastered?  Below are the older and new covers for the Requiem:

Bunny

Here is the quartet version of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - K. 525 (by the Salomon Quartet with Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music) on period instruments:

The Gran Partita by both Hogwood and Harnoncourt (although the 4 cd set pictured is oop, individual

Que

Quote from: Bunny on April 13, 2007, 05:38:20 AM
Que, I see that the Mozart Requiem now has a new cover!  As it's also still available in its older artwork, for those interested in purchasing this could you let us know whether it has also been remastered?  Below are the older and new covers for the Requiem:

The second is a (temporal) promotional issue - I pictured that version because of its availability and attractive price... :D I have the one with the first cover myself.

BTW I forgot to mention my favourite recording of the Mass in C minor:

Q

Bunny

Yes!  I agree with that.

I almost forgot, but I have finally found a copy of the 6 Symphonies after Serenades for sale. Sometimes things are closer at hand than you can imagine. :D

Que

Quote from: Bunny on April 13, 2007, 10:20:10 AM
Yes!  I agree with that.

I almost forgot, but I have finally found a copy of the 6 Symphonies after Serenades for sale. Sometimes things are closer at hand than you can imagine. :D

Good news Bunny:D
One has to be lucky once in a while..

Q

Bunny

Quote from: Que on April 13, 2007, 10:49:30 AM
Good news Bunny:D
One has to be lucky once in a while..

Q

Too bad the bill is coming when I also have my taxes to pay. :(

Bogey

You just sentenced Gurn to an "informal" thesis Bunny. :) 8)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Time to call in Gurn's favourite: L'Archibudelli... :D
I've gathered these till now - all no less than splendid!

Q

Bunny

OMG!!! You found Ein musikalischer Spaß!  That's the only one that I still am looking for.  Eventually it will turn up (I hope).

Bunny

I recently picked up this as well, but haven't had a chance to give it a spin.  It's strange to see such a glaring error in grammar on an album cover.  It's a reminder that not every record company is English speaking.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bunny on April 13, 2007, 01:50:26 PM
I recently picked up this as well, but haven't had a chance to give it a spin.  It's strange to see such a glaring error in grammar on an album cover.  It's a reminder that not every record company is English speaking.

;D  Yes, that IS amusing. Apparently the pianos own the concerto?   ;)

Then there are these two:

Rats, tiny picture! It's the quintets, K 515 & 516. :)

That's the lot, I am in a similar situation to you, Bunny, that rascally Que got the last extant copy of "The Musical Joke"... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bunny

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 13, 2007, 02:13:14 PM
;D  Yes, that IS amusing. Apparently the pianos own the concerto?   ;)

Then there are these two:

Rats, tiny picture! It's the quintets, K 515 & 516. :)

That's the lot, I am in a similar situation to you, Bunny, that rascally Que got the last extant copy of "The Musical Joke"... :D

8)

I suppose the Spaß is on us. ;D  :P

No!  Only one of the pianos owns the concerto; but who's parsing here?  ;)

Que

Apart from the superb cycle of the fortepiano concertos on Channel Classics, recommended earlier, Jos van Immerseel has continued his excellent Mozart on Zig Zag Territoires:

Recommended!

Q

Bunny

Quote from: Que on April 14, 2007, 12:10:37 AM
Apart from the superb cycle of the fortepiano concertos on Channel Classics, recommended earlier, Jos van Immerseel has continued his excellent Mozart on Zig Zag Territoires:

Recommended!

Q

Concur!

SonicMan46

Piano Concertos w/ Bilson & Gardiner - arrived yesterday (earlier than expected!) - now listening to just the first disc & enjoying the fortepiano; also have the Anda & Schiff sets, and need to do some comparisons (will likely like all sets, so not bad to 'pick & choose' when the right mood suits) -  :)