Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Happy listening, SonicMan!

Here are two more excellent recordings from Jos van Immerseel and Midori Seiler. 

Bunny

The Mozart violin concertos are very well represented, perhaps as a result of the past anniversary year which was marked by an avalanche of new Mozart recordings.  Here are two other great violin concerti recordings which actually compliment each other very well.  Biondi's recording has the concerti 1-3 and Manze's recording has concerti 3-5. 

Bunny

Just arrived in the mail:

Que

Quote from: Bunny on April 17, 2007, 07:37:52 AM
Just arrived in the mail:

Bunny, top performance IMO.  :)
And it's different from the Immerseel recording - so a very nice addition.

Q

Bunny

Que,  I just finished listening, and must agree with you completely.  I am very satisfied, and am happily awaiting the delivery of the 18th and 19th piano concertos.  Unfortunately, I ordered them through amazon so the wait is very long.  >:(

Que

With special thanks to our esteemed forum member Mozart, formerly known as Mozart Mobster.
I can't imagine any better recommendation!  :)

Q

Bunny

Still waiting for Staier...

Here are the Salomon String Quartet's recordings of Mozart's quartets and the London Fortepiano Trios recording of the piano trios.

Bunny

Quote from: Que on April 23, 2007, 12:22:28 PM

Bunny, how are those? I was also considering these reissues of the recordings by the Mozartean Players:

Also reissued like this:

Q

Que
, I have the London Fortepiano Trio's recording on request at the library, but have not yet gotten them.  I have heard so many positive things about the London fortepiano Trio that I could not resist posting them. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on April 23, 2007, 12:22:28 PM

Bunny, how are those? I was also considering these reissues of the recordings by the Mozartean Players:

Q

Q,
I have those and was quite pleased with them. The fortepianist with that group is Steven Lubin, who we have talked about here already, a very good one, and the string players are good too. I haven't heard the others (LFT), but haven't really missed them, although they are by all accounts excellent. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Any thoughts on this cd?

The recording presents a selection of private views of Mozart's keyboard music including some of his most personal miniatures, in this, the anniversary year of his death. The music is performed on three clavichords including some on Mozart's own keyboard, now housed at the Geburtshaus in Salzburg. It was on this instrument that extraordinarily, Mozart composed the The Magic Flute, Clemenza di Tito, the Requiem and a Masonic Cantata, all in the space of five months. Christopher's careful selection of works, ranging from the Adagio for Glass Harmonica and Marche Funebre (K453a) to the Sonata in D (K381) for four hands (performed with Derek Adlam,) provides a unique view of some of the more rarely heard works of this great master.

Sound samples can be found here:

http://www.hogwood.org/

Just click on recordings and then The Secret Mozart.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bill on April 23, 2007, 05:26:58 PM
Any thoughts on this cd?

The recording presents a selection of private views of Mozart's keyboard music including some of his most personal miniatures, in this, the anniversary year of his death. The music is performed on three clavichords including some on Mozart's own keyboard, now housed at the Geburtshaus in Salzburg. It was on this instrument that extraordinarily, Mozart composed the The Magic Flute, Clemenza di Tito, the Requiem and a Masonic Cantata, all in the space of five months. Christopher's careful selection of works, ranging from the Adagio for Glass Harmonica and Marche Funebre (K453a) to the Sonata in D (K381) for four hands (performed with Derek Adlam,) provides a unique view of some of the more rarely heard works of this great master.

Sound samples can be found here:

http://www.hogwood.org/

Just click on recordings and then The Secret Mozart.

I am very pleased with it, but then, I love clavichord music anyway, and this presents a certainly different perspective on some rather well known (to me, anyway) works. Sound is great, playing is fine, music is Mozart. Say no more, nudge, nudge... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 23, 2007, 05:31:40 PM
I am very pleased with it, but then, I love clavichord music anyway, and this presents a certainly different perspective on some rather well known (to me, anyway) works. Sound is great, playing is fine, music is Mozart. Say no more, nudge, nudge... :)

8)

Would you go ahead and throw the Secret Handel cd in the cart as well? :)

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bill on April 23, 2007, 05:33:39 PM
Would you go ahead and throw the Secret Handel cd in the cart as well? :)

Since I don't know any solo keyboard works by Händel, I would do so with the thought that this would be the most favorable way for ME to learn some... :)

8)

Bunny

The Secret Mozart is now available from the BMG music clubs, and at that price I'm buying. ;)

Unfortunately I haven't seen the Secret Händel there. :(

Bunny

Here's a brilliant recording by Andreas Stein and Christine Schornsheim from Harmonia Mundi of assorted preludes, sonatas, variations and other keyboard works by Mozart performed on a unique instrument that combines a 3 manual harpsichord at one end and a fortepiano with moderator stop at the other end.  The tonal variety fo this instrument as played by these two virtuosos is stunning.  Be sure to listen carefully to track 10, which is an improvisation by the two musicians.  The fact that such an instrument would have been made in 1777 demonstrates that the harpsichord was still being used along side the piano far longer than I would have suspected. 

Que

Audio samples

My HIP Gran Partita thread on the old forum got derailed by some grumpy complaint on HIP threads.... ;D
(Won't ever get into a debate on that btw.. 8))

Anyway, after auditioning Brüggen, Hogwood, Herreweghe, Ensemble Zefiro - I already had Ensemble Philidor - I went with my instincts and got this one. And I'm glad I did! :)

This is new generation HIP: crystal clear, non-cranky playing, articulated with immaculate precision and gusto.
The recording is very neutral, open and "airy", which enhances the feeling of a grown up, mature and tasteful performance. But with the infectious joy any Mozart recording must have. A very nice strong pulse in the famous adagio btw - which keeps it alive... ;)
A performance that is probing and full of character and colour at the same time - strongly recommended.

Q

Bunny

Que, that looks very, very nice!  I actually was able to find a used copy of the Harnoncourt locally, and am very satisfied.  Didn't Hoeprich also do a recording of the clarinet quintet recently?

Bunny

You have been busy!  I hope your wallet is up to the depredations! 

Que

I just got the Mozart clarinet quintet with the London Haydn Quartet and Eric Hoeprich (Glossa) - pictured left. And it's very good. As it happens I already had a very good performance by Jean-Claude Veilhan/ Stadler Quintet (K617) - pictured right (reissue, previously available in alternative couplings - I have the Mozart coupled with the concerto myself)

I played both performances twice this morning! :) And it's a very close race with no clear winner.
What are the (subtle) differences? The recording with Hoeprich is a bit slower, more sharply articulated and analytical - mainly because of the "straight" string playing. The Veilhan has a more mellow feel to it, although it's swifter, and has more charm. In the end I think I will prefer the Veilhan recording which seduces, instead of the recording with Hoeprich which is maybe a bit to severe for my taste.
I'll post on the Brahms later on the HIP Romantics thread - I have a feeling the Brahms will suit the probing style of the players on Glossa better.

And now we are on the subject of HIP Mozart clarinet recordings ( ;D): I can strongly recommend two other recordings with Jean-Claude Veilhan!

Q

Bunny

I have the Brahms quintet by Veilhan and the Stadler Quintet in it's earlier incarnation (with the Krehl clarinet quintet) and that is one of my favorite recordings.  It's an extremely intense and moving interpretation.  Now I'll start looking for his Mozart as I admire this clarinettist immensely. :)

It's also interesting to see that they reissued the Brahms, but this time paired with the Mozart quintet.