Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haffner

Quote from: Bunny on April 28, 2007, 11:40:40 AM
Que, that looks very, very nice!  I actually was able to find a used copy of the Harnoncourt locally, and am very satisfied.  Didn't Hoeprich also do a recording of the clarinet quintet recently?

I'd love to find this one!

Que

Quote from: Bunny on April 29, 2007, 12:38:52 PM
Out of the box, which recordings would you recommend?  Is this the box set which you refer to?

Yes, that's it. :) It has 4 CD's. Highlights are the 5 divertimeni for three basset horns, the clarinet quartets (both pictured in the post above), and the clarinet quintet. Enjoyable is the disc with divertimenti on the Marriage of Figaro and works by Stadler. Nice, but not more than that, is the clarinet concerto conducted by Malgoire (coupled with the quintet). A great bargain - slimmed down booklets though!

Q

Bunny

Que, it wasn't a bargain when I saw it at Amazon for about $106.00 new -- from Caiman, no less.  ::)

Que

The last of my Mozart purchases on Glossa with clarinetist Hoeprich.
And this another hit after the Gran Partita. :)
Brüggen provides a relaxed but very fresh, transparent and rhythmically articulated orchestral part.
Hoeprich has a beautiful rounded tone but with very clear cut phrasing. The whole performance is like that: relaxed but fresh and sharp at the same time - momentum is kept. Like in the slow movement there is a good pulse: the music is not smoothed over or milked for sentiment, no dragging of feet... A winner!
Btw, I already have Pay/Hogwood and Veilhan/Malgoire, but this will be my favourite.

A minor reservation: I usually don't mind, but a duration of 60 minutes and a coupling with an overture, two arias (all from La Clemenza di Tito), a short adagio and a short but beautiful " Maurerische Trauermusik" IMO does not present a good lay out. You're basically getting this for the concerto, with some "frills" as encores.
Worthwhile nevertheless!

Que

Another recent aquisition.
Mozart's harpsichord concertos!
Bought as a supplement to the cycle of fortepiano concertos with Van Immerseel (nos. 5-28)

Excellent performances and these concertos, consisting of arrangements of keyboard music by Raupach, Schobert, Honauer, Eckard  and C.P.E. Bach, are successful accomplishements of the very young Mozart! :)

Q

[mp3=200,20,0,left]http://www.jpc.de/mp3/343/3432608_05.mp3[/mp3]
[mp3=200,20,0,left]http://www.jpc.de/mp3/343/3432608_10.mp3[/mp3]

Que

Hope we can get this thread going again.... :)

Just got a nice HIP Mozart recording.
Les Adieux is an excellent HIP ensemble that has recorded with Andreas Staier (Mozart piano quartets - DHM) and recently with Erich Hoeprich (Mozart clarinet quartets - NCA).The fugues are arrangements by Mozart from works by J.S. Bach and one by W.F. Bach. Very interesting and very beautiful works!
I already had some of these recorded by L'Archibudelli, this interpretation is less austere and gruff, more flowing and lyrical with a more mellow touch.

Samples

Q

Tancata

What do you guys think of Rene Jacobs - Mozart Symphonies 38 and 41?

Que

Quote from: Tancata on July 14, 2007, 04:34:57 AM
What do you guys think of Rene Jacobs - Mozart Symphonies 38 and 41?

Tancata, please drop a short note on what you make of that recording - I'm very curious. :)

Going through this very modest thread, I missed an important favourite of mine and of quite a few other members. The violin sonatas with David Breitman (pianoforte) & Jean-Francois Rivest (violin) on Analekta. Two slim double CD's and attractively priced at Amazon.com. One of the great tips I picked up on this forum. Marvelous performances: colourful and intense, but also very playful and witty - how Mozart should sound like. And there is real chemistry between these players. Strongly recommended.

Click on pictures for audio samples.

Q

Mozart

Mozart

Quote from: SonicMan on April 14, 2007, 10:47:20 AM
Piano Concertos w/ Bilson & Gardiner - arrived yesterday (earlier than expected!) - now listening to just the first disc & enjoying the fortepiano; also have the Anda & Schiff sets, and need to do some comparisons (will likely like all sets, so not bad to 'pick & choose' when the right mood suits) -  :)

I was along time fan of the Gardiner set, but Anda has won me over. When I listen to it I think to myself, this must be the exact sound Mozart wanted  :) Its also nice to not have to hear Beethoven's bizarre cadenzas for the 20th pc.

Mozart

I just got this,I'm quite excited about it.

I've never been much into cosi, but maybe this recording will spark some interest.

Que

Quote from: Mozart on July 22, 2007, 12:30:48 AM
I was along time fan of the Gardiner set, but Anda has won me over. When I listen to it I think to myself, this must be the exact sound Mozart wanted  :) Its also nice to not have to hear Beethoven's bizarre cadenzas for the 20th pc.

I was impressed with Anda, but for really "extra-special" (IMO): give Van Immerseel on Channel Classics a shot. That set is now availble at budget price. I was going trough it lately and my impression was again: must have!

Click on picture for samples.
If you or anyone else is interested, I could upload a concerto in good sound quality! :)

Q

Mozart

Hmmm well I just about previewed about every movement and I think I'll stick to Anda :) It just seems a little tame.

** Maybe I am to loyal to my favorite recordings, once I find my favorite I will listen to nothing else :) I've had many recordings of Figaro but I'll only listen to one.  :)

Tancata

Quote from: Que on April 29, 2007, 03:23:43 AM
And now we are on the subject of HIP Mozart clarinet recordings ( ;D): I can strongly recommend two other recordings with Jean-Claude Veilhan!

Q

Hmm...I think I'll put these on my wish-list. The only recording of the Clarinet Concerto I have is a beastly modern instruments version. It's actually perfectly decent, but I would love to hear that piece HIPped up a little.

BTW, still haven't got the Rene Jacobs Symphonies. It was raining heavily here on Friday so the post wasn't delivered  ::)...perhaps Monday!  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on July 22, 2007, 12:20:51 AM

Q

Visiting my son in Indiana this weekend - been checking in but not posting much; however, I must 'second' Q's recommendation above; I just purchased these 'double-CDs' recently, and thoroughly enjoyed the performances - top notch & great value!   :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mozart on July 22, 2007, 12:27:06 AM

Interesting...

Could this be a transcription disc? Or a disc of fragments?

Much as I wish otherwise Mozart never wrote a clarinet quartet, at least in finished form.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Que

Quote from: donwyn on July 22, 2007, 09:00:20 AM
Interesting...

Could this be a transcription disc? Or a disc of fragments?

Much as I wish otherwise Mozart never wrote a clarinet quartet, at least in finished form.

Donwyn, according to the liner notes, these works were published in 1799 as op.79 by Mozart, three years before the publication of the clarinet quintet by the same publisher, Johann André.
They are arrangements of violin sonatas KV 378/317d & KV 380/374f, and piano trio KV 496. It's unknown if Mozart did the arrangements himself but they are probably by André, who did various arrangements of works by Mozart. In any case - they sound really beautiful! :)

BTW, the "other" HIP clarinetist - Erich Hoeprich - recently did these works too on NCA (click on picture for link).

Q

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Que on July 22, 2007, 09:39:13 AM
Donwyn, according to the liner notes, these works were published in 1799 as op.79 by Mozart, three years before the publication of the clarinet quintet by the same publisher, Johann André.
They are arrangements of violin sonatas KV 378/317d & KV 380/374f, and piano trio KV 496. It's unknown if Mozart did the arrangements himself but they are probably by André, who did various arrangements of works by Mozart. In any case - they sound really beautiful! :)

BTW, the "other" HIP clarinetist - Erich Hoeprich - recently did these works too on NCA (click on picture for link).

Thanks for the info, Q!

I bet they do sound beautiful!

Anything pairing Mozart and the clarinet is bound to be a hit. Arrangements or whatnot.

And speaking of beautiful, if those two covers are anything to go by K617 has some of the more striking cover art in all CD land.

Good for tickling the little impulse buyer in me!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Gurn Blanston

I have the 317d_378 one on a L'Archibudelli disk with Niedich on clarinet. I think it's a wonderful arrangement, no matter who did it. I would dearly love to have the others (4 total, isn't it?). Thanks for the tip, see if I can find that. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Tancata

Mozart Symphonies 38 & 41 / Jacobs

So, this arrived today and has been spun twice.  :) I don't have another version of Symphony 38, so I can't comment specifically on that, but I have two very strong impressions of the performance so far.

(i) Transparent textures: It's really striking how see-through the sound is. Most obvious is the scrape of the cello and bass, along with the space around the rich winds. The instruments don't blend - they detach. I rather like this - it brings a lot of things into focus which I hadn't really heard before.

(ii) ADD conducting: In certain movements, Jacobs gets very fiddly. He speeds up...slows down...suddenly goes quiet...OH LOOK HE GOT REALLY LOUD, WOW! In the Jupiter, this is most evident in the first movement. He also changes pace in the middle of phrases, rushing up to his next big bang. There's a kind of jabbering speech-like rhythm to it, though - when he comes back to the three blows which start the symphony off, he runs over them quickly, more like a recap than a re-statement. The effect of all this showy stuff is a bit unsettling. My stomach feels pushed and pulled around the place, and it doesn't do anything at all for the flow of the music  :-\. He plays it straight(er) for the rest of the Jupiter though. And the small forces do bring out the juxtaposed lines in the finale well.

The playing is excellent and colourful, and all the players can more than deal with their individual exposure, but I think the Freiburger Barockorchester weren't brilliantly served by the conducting decisions. I don't know if this is a CD for the long-term, but perhaps I would come around more if I forget the other performances I've heard...  ::) I like the performance of no. 38 much more, possibly because I'm new to it.

It is certainly interesting to hear how Jacobs handles purely instrumental music, though.