Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

The Mozart Piano Concerto recordings played by Arthur Schoonderwoerd are blowing me away. I can't get enough of his Walter copy fortepiano, wow!

SonicMan46

Below a post recently left in the 'listening thread' - seems appropriate to repost here.  Dave :)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 07, 2021, 10:10:58 AM
New arrival from JPC - 13 Euros HERE:

Jean-Claude Veilhan - his Complete Mozart Recordings in a 5-disc box - recordings summarized below - I already have 1 1/2 discs of this music which I love - historic instruments including use of plenty of basset horns (one shown on the cover art below along w/ the Trio di Basseto shown; plus the String Trio Stadler - named after Anton Stadler, Wolfie's clarinetist for whom he composed the wonderful Quintet & Concerto).  Dave :)

staxomega

My favorite cycle of the String Quartets Dedicated to Haydn 

milk

I don't know why but this gives me a headache. I've dipped into this in many places. I just find no sensitivity in it. What am I missing?

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on September 29, 2022, 05:12:15 PM

I don't know why but this gives me a headache. I've dipped into this in many places. I just find no sensitivity in it. What am I missing?

Yes when I listened I at first thought "Anthony Newman" Anyway, after checking against Newman's Mozart that thought was unfair, but still, it's interesting that you and I should react like that. Whatever the merits of the performance style, the piano sounds cool and that means it was worth releasing I think.

I think we've all become used to expressive and reflective HIP, Bezuidenhout. The pendulum swings and swings again. Levin moves it forward -- not crashes it exactly but still, he doesn't seem find many roses in the music to stop and smell.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on September 30, 2022, 04:12:40 AM
Yes when I listened I at first thought "Anthony Newman" Anyway, after checking against Newman's Mozart that thought was unfair, but still, it's interesting that you and I should react like that. Whatever the merits of the performance style, the piano sounds cool and that means it was worth releasing I think.

I think we've all become used to expressive and reflective HIP, Bezuidenhout. The pendulum swings and swings again. Levin moves it forward -- not crashes it exactly but still, he doesn't seem find many roses in the music to stop and smell.
I don't want to be unfair to Levin. Once upon a time, I liked his piano concertos. And I still love his straightforward Bach WTC - or at least in my memory I do.

Spotted Horses

I started listening to the Mozart Piano Sonatas on fortepiano by Brautigam and was surprised at how little pleasure it gave me (despite being an admirer of his Beethoven on Fortepiano). I need a substitute, and chanced upon the set by Alexei Lubimov. Can anyone offer an opinion on the Lubimov set (or any other sets on Fortepiano)?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Jo498

I don't like the sound of historical pianos enough to have a complete Mozart sonata set but with this caveat I can recommend trying the "late" (i.e. K 457 and later) sonatas and pieces with Immerseel because I remember them as pleasant sounding. And I also seem to have liked the more percussive and energetic series (of which I have 3 discs) with Hakkila on Finlandia. Whereas I got rid of the hyperkinetic Newman on Sony. But recordings on historical keyboards have multiplied in the last two decades, so there will probably be a lot more to sample.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Que

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 12, 2022, 04:13:44 AM
I started listening to the Mozart Piano Sonatas on fortepiano by Brautigam and was surprised at how little pleasure it gave me (despite being an admirer of his Beethoven on Fortepiano). I need a substitute, and chanced upon the set by Alexei Lubimov. Can anyone offer an opinion on the Lubimov set (or any other sets on Fortepiano)?

Brautigam didn't work for me either, nor indeed Lubimov. Schoonderwoerd is quite erratic.

My favourite set is Van Oort, either just the sonatas or the larger keyboard works set (recommended).

I haven't heard Badura-Skoda (Naïve), which is of good reputation but is OOP for many years now.
And Van Bezuidenhout, which is quite new.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Que on October 12, 2022, 07:01:11 AM
Brautigam didn't work for me either, nor indeed Lubimov. Schoonderwoerd is quite erratic.

My favourite set is Van Oort, either just the sonatas or the larger keyboard works set (recommended).

I haven't heard Badura-Skoda (Naïve), which is of good reputation but is OOP for many years now.

Good tip regarding Van Oort. I listened to some samples and they appealed to me. Then I found that the set was available as a lossless download from Qobuz for $12.99.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on October 12, 2022, 07:01:11 AM

I'm just listening to Lubimov play 333 - I can't see why someone wouldn't love it! Anyway I'm sure there's plenty to enjoy in all these sets. I'm obviously not very discerning, though I must say Levin has so far defeated me.

Gurn Blanston

Schoonderwoerd is the only one of these PI cycles I don't have, and I am curious about it. I see some mention of it here and there, but if someone here actually has it and listened more than once, I would be interested in some thoughts on it. Before I drop 75$ on it... 🙂🤠
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 30, 2024, 08:26:57 AMSchoonderwoerd is the only one of these PI cycles I don't have, and I am curious about it. I see some mention of it here and there, but if someone here actually has it and listened more than once, I would be interested in some thoughts on it. Before I drop 75$ on it... 🙂🤠

I sampled about 5 seconds worth on my streaming service, and liked it. :)

Nice to see you frequenting these parts, Gurn!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 30, 2024, 09:16:42 AMI sampled about 5 seconds worth on my streaming service, and liked it. :)

Nice to see you frequenting these parts, Gurn!

Thanks. Not sure if I will frequent, per se, but I would like to at least occasional. First time in forever I have gotten to see the forum as a user. And enjoy the benefits of someone else moderating.

The only place I've found the FLAC album is Presto. Has anyone seen it elsewhere?  🤠

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

In the solo music, the booklet suggests (but doesn't state explicitly) that the performances are based on Emanuel Bach's Versuch über die wahre Art das Clavier zu spielen. The instruments are nice, and well enough recorded. Schoonderwoerd and Rampe and De Cecco  are the three PI Mozart performers who I've found the most interesting to hear recently.

I have Schoonderwoerd's concertos, but would need to revisit to comment -- it's been a while, though I do remember recently enjoying what he makes of  K421 andante -- good tempo at least.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 30, 2024, 09:26:40 AMThanks. Not sure if I will frequent, per se, but I would like to at least occasional. First time in forever I have gotten to see the forum as a user. And enjoy the benefits of someone else moderating.

The only place I've found the FLAC album is Presto. Has anyone seen it elsewhere?  🤠

Qobuz has it in their download store for $19.77. You don't have to be a member of the streaming service to purchase downloads.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on January 30, 2024, 09:39:08 AMIn the solo music, the booklet suggests (but doesn't state explicitly) that the performances are based on Emanuel Bach's Versuch über die wahre Art das Clavier zu spielen. The instruments are nice, and well enough recorded. Schoonderwoerd and Rampe and De Cecco  are the three PI Mozart performers who I've found the most interesting to hear recently.

I have Schoonderwoerd's concertos, but would need to revisit to comment -- it's been a while, though I do remember recently enjoying what he makes of  K421 andante -- good tempo at least.

Thanks, Mandrake, that's what I was hoping to hear. One of the comments I saw was to the effect that he was all over the place, but I can't imagine him (or anyone else!) being more erratic than Rampe! Who I quite enjoy despite the barely audible clavichord. Looks like I'm going to have to commit. 😊
🤠

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 30, 2024, 10:18:53 AMQobuz has it in their download store for $19.77. You don't have to be a member of the streaming service to purchase downloads.

Really!? I haven't been there since I am not equipped to stream. I'll check it out, if it's FLAC + PDF booklet, I'll snap it up in a heartbeat! 🤠

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 30, 2024, 10:42:58 AMReally!? I haven't been there since I am not equipped to stream. I'll check it out, if it's FLAC + PDF booklet, I'll snap it up in a heartbeat! 🤠

They list a booklet.

Typically Qobuz and presto list downloads for a similar price, but sometimes Qobuz is much cheaper.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 30, 2024, 10:44:56 AMThey list a booklet.

Typically Qobuz and presto list downloads for a similar price, but sometimes Qobuz is much cheaper.

I pulled the trigger and am listening to it now. Very smooth, except for my ignorance about their terminology causing me to hesitate, since I couldn't know in advance what format they had going. Apparently some of these places have gotten quite good. Thanks for the hot tip. ;)

8)