Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

Quote from: SonicMan on May 06, 2010, 03:31:40 PM
Franco & David - well nothing special (below is the quoted e-mail that I sent them); not sure that David is right or that we are even communicating w/ the same people?  I'm not really sure that this is the real web site for the company or a fake?  Despite a great offer, I'm quite reluctant to pursue their offer - nothing against the Czech Republic and wanting to do business w/ them, but more afraid of a fraud website?  But I'm a computer paranoiac, so my problem, I guess - thanks for the input - Dave  :)

In a subsequent email after I asked about where to send the payment, I was given an address to a Bank of America in NYC, to the attn of a Ms Herman and the acct# and name of Andrey Rubin.

We did get emails from the same person (Andrei) - but I too am reluctant to buy in this manner, esp. with the varying pricing.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Franco on May 06, 2010, 04:48:29 PM
In a subsequent email after I asked about where to send the payment, I was given an address to a Bank of America in NYC, to the attn of a Ms Herman and the acct# and name of Andrey Rubin.

We did get emails from the same person (Andrei) - but I too am reluctant to buy in this manner, esp. with the varying pricing.

Franco - I may not even continue this e-mail exchange - from your comments, I think we could lose $60 or so and not receive our expected box set - I'm not going to pursue this any further, but just me - Dave  :)

Gurn Blanston

Hey! C'mon you guys, nut up and send the damned money. I need to know if it's a scam or not. I don't even want that set but I'd pay $60 for it if you guys don't get ripped off. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Schuppanzigh Quartet - Hob 03 49 Quartet in D for Strings Op 50 #6 2nd mvmt - Poco adagio
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 06, 2010, 05:07:26 PM
Hey! C'mon you guys, nut up and send the damned money. I need to know if it's a scam or not. I don't even want that set but I'd pay $60 for it if you guys don't get ripped off. :)

Now Gurn - I know that you're drooling to obtain that set!   :D  But are you trying to get Franco & I involved in a potential scam?   :) ;D   Dave -  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on May 06, 2010, 05:26:29 PM
Now Gurn - I know that you're drooling to obtain that set!   :D  But are you trying to get Franco & I involved in a potential scam?   :) ;D   Dave -  8)

Actually, this was the picture I had in mind:

As for me, I have Gardiner/Bilson, Immerseel and 3/4 of Levin/Hogwood, and I'm not even sure who wrote those concerti... ;D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Schuppanzigh Quartet - Hob 03 63 Quartet in D for Strings Op 64 #5 4th mvmt - Finale: Vivace

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 06, 2010, 05:36:50 PM
Actually, this was the picture I had in mind:   ;D

As for me, I have Gardiner/Bilson, Immerseel and 3/4 of Levin/Hogwood, and I'm not even sure who wrote those concerti...P.S. maybe we need someone who has heard most of these recordings?  ;D

Well, I have the Bilson set - not sure that the others are substantially different,  but the Sofroniski set does sound like something to experience?  But just IMO - P.S. maybe we need someone who has heard most of these recordings to respond?   Dave  ;D

Elgarian

Quote from: SonicMan on May 06, 2010, 05:01:15 PM
Franco - I may not even continue this e-mail exchange - from your comments, I think we could lose $60 or so and not receive our expected box set - I'm not going to pursue this any further, but just me - Dave  :)
If I were in your position, Dave, I'd launch off an email to Viviana Sofronitzki herself, present my anxieties, and seek her personal reassurance. After all, the direct link to the seller is on her website, so she should know something about them, one supposes.

Contact details:
http://www.sofronitsky.com/contacts.html

SonicMan46

Quote from: Elgarian on May 07, 2010, 08:32:50 AM
If I were in your position, Dave, I'd launch off an email to Viviana Sofronitzki herself, present my anxieties, and seek her personal reassurance. After all, the direct link to the seller is on her website, so she should know something about them, one supposes.

Contact details:
http://www.sofronitsky.com/contacts.html

Elgarian - interesting thought, if she (or her representative) even decides to respond?  Actually I've probably e-mailed a half dozen performers and about half or so have responded; currently have a message to Lambert Orkis out in cyberspace somewhere?

In checking the website named previously, the statement is made 'under construction' - I'm sure eventually, a credit card option will be offered - I'd rather deal w/ a credit card than my personal check flying across the ocean; but who knows by the time the site is 'fully operational', the set may be much more or OOP? Dave  :-\

Franco

My collection is woefully weak in Mozart wind concertos, and I was sampling the Hogwood set but was wondering about other PI recordings.  I don't think the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra has done most of them, I found a couple of discs with the horn and flute/harp, and will definitely purchase the piano/clarinet concerto combo (The Last Concertos) - but would appreciate some other PI suggestions especially for the non-horn concertos, the horn ones are my least favorite.

kishnevi

I only have "modern" versions, but these two oboe recordings seem possibilities:

if only because of the non Mozartian couplings.    I have some other recordings by the London Mozart Players (Hummel piano concertos, on Chandos) that I like.

Although, given the differences between "natural" horns of Mozart's day and the modern horn,  it's the horn concertos of which  I would be most interested in hearing a PI recording.

Que

Quote from: kishnevi on May 09, 2010, 07:37:32 PM
Although, given the differences between "natural" horns of Mozart's day and the modern horn,  it's the horn concertos of which  I would be most interested in hearing a PI recording.

Absolutely, and if I'm not mistaken the general consensus here (a rarity! ;D) is: Ab Koster with Tafelmusik under Bruno Weil. Can't go wrong on that one, IMO.

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on May 10, 2010, 01:21:56 AM
Absolutely, and if I'm not mistaken the general consensus here (a rarity! ;D) is: Ab Koster with Tafelmusik under Bruno Weil. Can't go wrong on that one, IMO.

Q

Yes, I think we have a consensus that there is a consensus about this disk. That is to say, it would be MY top rec too. :)

8)

DavidW

Yup it's excellent, it doesn't fall into the trap of making Mozart sound like Strauss (like some modern recordings do) while still preserving the charm that these pieces have in spades. :)

Franco

Okay - well, that takes care of the concertos I was not very interested in. 

:)

But what about the clarinet, oboe and bassoon?

I've already got the clarinet/oboe with Hogwood, and just got the clarinet by the Freiburg, I don't know if I've ever heard the bassoon concerto.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Franco on May 10, 2010, 05:48:17 AM
Okay - well, that takes care of the concertos I was not very interested in. 

:)

But what about the clarinet, oboe and bassoon?

I've already got the clarinet/oboe with Hogwood, and just got the clarinet by the Freiburg, I don't know if I've ever heard the bassoon concerto.

Well, you may find it odd that a readily available and inexpensive version of anything could be highly rated too, but along with Hogwood I also have the 3 disk set by the Orchestra of Old Fairfield Academy (now called American Classical Orchestra, IIRC), and they are really very pleasing. This would be the oboe, flute, bassoon, flute & harp and horn concerti. I absolutely recommend them. :)

8)

Daverz

I downloaded the Mackerras 38-41 on Linn, and have been very pleased with them.  Gutsy brass, but the strings also play well, without whining or sourness.  As is his usual habit, he is generous with repeats, which does make some movements seem to last forever.  The first movement of 38 takes over 17 minutes.

Aeolian harp

Quote from: Franco on May 05, 2010, 08:28:16 AM

I'm also keeping my eye on the Brautigam Mozart PC recordings - I've heard a few things on YouTube that sounded absolutely fantastic, with the fortepiano placed in the middle of the orchestra for an exceptional balance.

Ooh, any word on when Brautigam's Mozart PC cycle will be released? :) (I mean the major Mozart PCs such as the D minor K466 on YouTube there, rather than the early non-solo PCs)

Clever Hans

Quote from: Aeolian harp on May 12, 2010, 11:20:52 AM
Ooh, any word on when Brautigam's Mozart PC cycle will be released? :) (I mean the major Mozart PCs such as the D minor K466 on YouTube there, rather than the early non-solo PCs)

http://www.koelnerakademie.com/index.php?id=4&L=1

Supposedly, they began recording them in the fall, so perhaps we'll see a release of a couple concertos this year. The conductor lists K414 and K271 Jeunehomme with Brautigam for BIS on his resume.

http://www.koelnerakademie.com/index.php?id=3&L=1

It's certainly what I'm holding out for, as far as picking up another fortepiano set.
As a soloist/orchestra whole, I don't think anyone has yet matched Bilson and Gardiner, although one could make a convincing argument for Levin and Hogwood. 

DavidW

I'm trying to pick out a set of PI Mozart Violin Concertos.  There do not seem to be many options in print.  Any opinions, or recs?  I was kind of leaning towards Standage/Hogwood, is it any good?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2010, 01:57:00 PM
I'm trying to pick out a set of PI Mozart Violin Concertos.  There do not seem to be many options in print.  Any opinions, or recs?  I was kind of leaning towards Standage/Hogwood, is it any good?

The Beauty is (frequently) an expensive thing:

;)