Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Yeah that's uh... Jens level expensive. :D  $50 is a little too rich for my taste.

jlaurson

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2010, 01:57:00 PM
I'm trying to pick out a set of PI Mozart Violin Concertos.  There do not seem to be many options in print.  Any opinions, or recs?  I was kind of leaning towards Standage/Hogwood, is it any good?

By all means Manze!

W.A.Mozart
Violin Concertos 3, 4, 5
A.Manze
The English Concert
Harmonia Mundi, SACD

The non-SACD version is obviously less expensive.

I know it's not complete -- "only" 3-5. But a.) When they're played like this, completeism isn't, musn't, can't be your primary concern. b.) They're the obviously superior concertos.

If complete it must be (only in addition to Manze, of course), Kavakos / Camerata Salzburg are quasi-PI and very good.

W.A.Mozart
Violin Concertos 1-5,
Sinf. Conct.
L.Kavakos
Camerata Salzburg
Sony

Zehetmair/Brueggen--the alternative for the complete set, nice though it is (and lavishly packaged), hasn't yet completely convinced me.

DavidW

The Manze samples sound interesting... I'll have to youtube complete tracks. :)

jlaurson

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2010, 02:13:59 PM
The Manze samples sound interesting... I'll have to youtube complete tracks. :)

Or you could take my ex cathedra word for it.   ;)

Bulldog

I love the Mullova disc on Philips where she also directs the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment in nos. 1, 2 and 4.  Unfortunately, it might be out of print although ArkivMusic has it as an Arkiv disc.

Concerning the Standage set, I'd say take a pass.  I find it lacking character with the dominant color being "gray".

DavidW

The samples sound terrific for that Mullova cd.  I should see if youtube has anything on that too. :)

DavidW

Alright I've done my listening and also made a great discovery Biondi rocks in Mozart as well! :)  Both Biondi and Manze sounded tops in Mozart, which leads me to my purchases:

Thanks for the help all. :)

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2010, 03:16:32 PM
Alright I've done my listening and also made a great discovery Biondi rocks in Mozart as well! :)
The Biondi is like an Italian spin on Mozart's violin concertos.  Some of the liberties taken make me cringe a bit, bit in all it's quite an exciting ride!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2010, 02:09:19 PM
Yeah that's uh... Jens level expensive. :D  $50 is a little too rich for my taste.

Well, that double-CD is currently on sale on MDT for $15. Presto Classical offers it for $26 or something so.

As I previously said Zehetmair and Brüggen are my favorites in these violin concertos, but I would also add Ryo Terakado/Sigiswald Kuijken (they alternatively play the different works as soloists), three CDs on Denon that include the complete violin concertos, the Sinfonia Concertante K. 364 and the Concertone K. 190. The problem: That set is quite expensive and hard to find.

I have another four HIP versions: Simon Standage/AAM/Hogwood, Monica Huggett/Orchestra of Age of Enlightenment, Andrew Manze/The English Concert (incomplete) and Fabio Biondi/Europa Galante (incomplete). Curiously my opinion about the first three renditions is similar: technically faultless, but totally cold (here maybe I am being a bit unfair with Mrs. Huggett). I believe Sorin is right about Biondi: although he is less orthodox at least his interpretations seem warmer and, apparently, he has more empathy with these works. All this IMHO, of course.

Antoine Marchand

It is not one of the violin concertos, but the 2nd movement ("Andantino grazioso") of the Concertone for 2 violins & Orchestra K. 190:

Sigiswald Kuijken (Giovanni Grancino, Milano, ca. 1700)
Ryo Terakado (Giovanni Grancino, Milano, ca. 1691)
La Petite Bande

Enjoy "the worst composer ever"!  :D 

kishnevi

I'm trying to pick out a set of PI Mozart Violin Concertos.  There do not seem to be many options in print.  Any opinions, or recs?  I was kind of leaning towards Standage/Hogwood, is it any good?

Not mentioned, and more quasi PI, is the Carmignola/Abbado recording, which includes the Sinfonia Concertante.

Also, Podger has done the Sinfonia Concertante with the OAE on a disc that includes two Haydn concertos.

Brahmsian

How about Ehnes and the Mozart Anniversary Orchestra on CBC Records?  Terrific sound, wonderful performances!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brahmsian on June 03, 2010, 04:54:52 AM
How about Ehnes and the Mozart Anniversary Orchestra on CBC Records?  Terrific sound, wonderful performances!

Not PI though, which was a criterion. I like Ehnes, damn fine fiddler. He should go PI, learn some Classical techniques and hook up with Tafelmusik (that other fine Canadian institution) and make some real music! :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Franco

I've got Mullova, Manze, Kremer and Huggett, who no one has mentioned, and the only complete set I own.  I like them all, but find Huggett's poise very suited to these works.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Franco on June 03, 2010, 06:30:41 AM
I've got Mullova, Manze, Kremer and Huggett, who no one has mentioned, and the only complete set I own.  I like them all, but find Huggett's poise very suited to these works.

Yes, that is the only full cycle that I have (PI), and I agree with you. Actually, I expect the Manze to be quite similar stylistically, although Huggett tends to be a bit more outgoing in her playing, which suits Mozart nicely.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: kishnevi on June 02, 2010, 08:47:38 PM
quasi PI,

There is no such thing as quasi PI btw.  That's actually why I used the phrase PI instead of HIP so that quasi would be illegal.  It's either on period instruments or it's on modern.  I want period instruments not modern.  Sorry. :-X

DavidW

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 02, 2010, 07:14:50 PM
Well, that double-CD is currently on sale on MDT for $15. Presto Classical offers it for $26 or something so.

Thanks Antoine!  It is ordered!!! :) :) :) :)

Brahmsian

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DavidW on June 03, 2010, 07:30:57 AM
Thanks Antoine!  It is ordered!!! :) :) :) :)

Great! I hope you will enjoy it.  :)

DavidW

Quote from: Brahmsian on June 03, 2010, 09:05:23 AM
My bad, David.  :D

No problem, I just wanted to nip that "quasi-PI" thing in the bud before it became accepted gmg terminology. ;D