Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on June 03, 2010, 10:18:52 AM
No problem, I just wanted to nip that "quasi-PI" thing in the bud before it became accepted gmg terminology. ;D

I should think that quasi- or pseudo-HIP would serve better depending on the recording (and the opinion of the speaker :D).
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on June 03, 2010, 10:27:42 AM
I should think that quasi- or pseudo-HIP would serve better depending on the recording (and the opinion of the speaker :D).

Well the thing is what is quasi-HIP?  It's so vague that it's useless.  It seems very easy to throw that label onto nearly any kind of modern performance.  What one person considers quasi-HIP another might not.  When you think about it to some extent everything is quasi-HIP. :D

But my objection isn't to that, it's to "quasi-PI" which is different.  The only way something could be quasi-PI is if part of the orchestra used period instruments and the rest used modern instruments (like Herreweghe and the Royal Flemish Orchestra performing Beethoven).  That is very different from quasi-HIP and not many recordings are quasi-PI. :)

Franco

I guess people have begun using the abbreviations PI and HIP interchangeably; and adding "quasi" to either implies a hybrid approach like the Beethoven/Jarvi recordings (using modern instruments but with a HIP interpretation).

Opus106

Quote from: Franco on June 03, 2010, 10:49:43 AM
I guess people have begun using the abbreviations PI and HIP interchangeably; and adding "quasi" to either implies a hybrid approach like the Beethoven/Jarvi recordings (using modern instruments but with a HIP interpretation).

I don't use PI because I was introduced to the descriptor HIP as something (a recording or a performance of music) which employs period instruments and some amount of academic research into the performing techniques of the period. Therefore, as you rightly point out, quasi-HIP to me is the "hybrid approach," an example of which is the Carmignola/Abbado recording.
Regards,
Navneeth

Bulldog

Quote from: Opus106 on June 03, 2010, 11:08:01 AM
I don't use PI because I was introduced to the descriptor HIP as something (a recording or a performance of music) which employs period instruments and some amount of academic research into the performing techniques of the period.

The problem is that an increasing number of folks use HIP to denote modern instrument performances possessing a HIP sensibility.  So I stopped using HIP and try to remember to use PI exclusively.  It's just a communication issue.

Opus106

Quote from: Bulldog on June 03, 2010, 11:15:25 AM
The problem is that an increasing number of folks use HIP to denote modern instrument performances possessing a HIP sensibility.  So I stopped using HIP and try to remember to use PI exclusively.  It's just a communication issue.

Yep. I noticed Que recently (did he start just now?) using HIPPI. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on June 03, 2010, 11:08:01 AM
I don't use PI because I was introduced to the descriptor HIP as something (a recording or a performance of music) which employs period instruments and some amount of academic research into the performing techniques of the period. Therefore, as you rightly point out, quasi-HIP to me is the "hybrid approach," an example of which is the Carmignola/Abbado recording.

PI is rather less compromising than HIP in that regard; period instruments (and reproductions) is period instruments. No hybrids need apply. This is no slight to HIP/Hybrid, it is instead a tribute to the sound of PI. Thus, you can't really BE quasi-PI. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 03, 2010, 11:23:02 AM
PI is rather less compromising than HIP in that regard; period instruments (and reproductions) is period instruments. No hybrids need apply. This is no slight to HIP/Hybrid, it is instead a tribute to the sound of PI. Thus, you can't really BE quasi-PI. :)

8)

Sure you can:

;)

Franco

Actually, that qualifies as quasi-HIP ...

:D

George

Quote from: Franco on June 03, 2010, 03:04:19 PM
Actually, that qualify as quasi-HIP ...

:D

;D

And quasi PI, as he was only one on TV.

DavidW

Quote from: George on June 03, 2010, 03:06:17 PM
;D

And quasi PI, as he was only one on TV.

I thought he was quasi PI because he was part PI part swinging bachelor. ;D

George

Quote from: DavidW on June 03, 2010, 03:10:05 PM
I thought he was quasi PI because he was part PI part swinging bachelor. ;D

You sound like Higgins.  ;D

George

SonicMan46

Quote from: Franco on June 03, 2010, 06:30:41 AM
I've got Mullova, Manze, Kremer and Huggett, who no one has mentioned, and the only complete set I own.  I like them all, but find Huggett's poise very suited to these works.

Coming in late to the Violin Concertos discussion - the Huggett sounds like a good PI instrument choice and the price is RIGHT!  I have two sets of these works, the older traditional but excellent Grumiaux  and the more recently recorded Carmignola & Abbado w/ a PI group -  :D

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Yup that was interesting, especially the part about the tempi of the minuets at the end.  I guess Pinnock's more brisk pacing is closer to accurate then?

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on June 15, 2010, 05:47:23 AM
Yup that was interesting, especially the part about the tempi of the minuets at the end.  I guess Pinnock's more brisk pacing is closer to accurate then?

I haven't heard Pinnock, so does he apply the brisk pacing throughout the works or does he do so selectively, i.e. only to the minuets? I'd think it would be a good approximation only if it's the latter case.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on June 15, 2010, 05:47:23 AM

Minuets are nearly always performed more slowly than they should be. I like Pinnock's efforts there. The Classical minuet was not intended to be danced to, it was a scherzo in all but name. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)