Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJR

Try dancing even a 'classical' style minuet while listening to the 3rd movement of Beethoven's 2nd Symphony. You'll probably end up crosslegged, knock-kneed and eventually fall down on the dance floor.

RJR

A little more hyperbole:

We are defenders of the realm, like the knights of ancient times that Bruckner imagined in the opening bars of his 4th Symphony.

FideLeo

A comment on my post at youtube relates to the music joke of a false ending that the orchestra cannot stop playing.  I imagine one sometimes hears that in the act finales in his opera buffa! Maybe this is what makes this movement so much fun to listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/v/r_z6G3ftQGs

[asin]B000E0VXX4[/asin]
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

jlaurson

Just heard the Vienna Phil in Mozart & Haydn last night (with a few Mozart arias thrown in by Villazon)... and the only conclusion is: HIP is not in the instruments, nor in the exact performance practice... it's an attitude. It's been a very, very long time since I've heard a big symphonic orchestra (not that the number of musicians exceeded what Mozart had available in Paris or Haydn in London) play such lively Mozart. Louis Langree, who did not impress me at Mostly Mozart in New York (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2006/08/mostly-modest-mozart.html) was on the rostrum.

FideLeo

For me, defining HIP is clearly as difficult and elusive as defining historicity itself.  What counts for 'the historical' in any musical performance?  A big question with enough answers to fill books.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Gyn23r2LwhI

[asin]B00005G88S[/asin]

[asin]0521013585[/asin]

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on January 30, 2011, 04:04:40 AM
Just heard the Vienna Phil in Mozart & Haydn last night (with a few Mozart arias thrown in by Villazon)... and the only conclusion is: HIP is not in the instruments, nor in the exact performance practice... it's an attitude. It's been a very, very long time since I've heard a big symphonic orchestra (not that the number of musicians exceeded what Mozart had available in Paris or Haydn in London) play such lively Mozart. ...

But of course it was bested by the Chamber Orchestra of Europe (using natural trumpets) under Yannick Nezet Seguin the night after that. Holy cow... what a kick-ass performance of K543. (And some CPEBach to rock the house.)

FideLeo

http://www.youtube.com/v/T224iIFPs3Y

[asin]B00005AMMH[/asin]

Seeing red!

Leon

Quote from: masolino on February 03, 2011, 09:27:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/T224iIFPs3Y

Looks very interesting, masolino, thanks for posting this information.  I wonder if this disc is part of a planned series?

:)

Opus106

Quote from: Leon on February 03, 2011, 09:32:22 AM
Looks very interesting, masolino, thanks for posting this information.  I wonder if this disc is part of a planned series?

:)

Bez is recording Mozart for Harmonia Mundi these days.
Regards,
Navneeth

FideLeo

Quote from: Opus106 on February 03, 2011, 09:36:01 AM
Bez is recording Mozart for Harmonia Mundi these days.

Yeah the red "Sturm und Drang" album was made about ten years ago, supposedly Bez's :D younger and wilder days.  He still has a very spontaneous style these days, just seemingly not as radical.  :)

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on February 03, 2011, 12:16:48 PM
Well, I have the coupling with the Krell and it honestly isn't that hot whilst the Mozart performance is as absolutely stunning as the Brahms.

Q

http://www.youtube.com/v/_m6p14sjvLU

[asin]B00004S1MD[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: masolino on February 03, 2011, 10:06:36 PM
[asin]B00004S1MD[/asin]

Ah yes, the famous "Unavailable - we don't know when or if it will be back in stock..."   :-\  Pity, it would have gone in the basket today. Actually, I have a disk from that set already, but I could live with duplicating it to get the remainder. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Konstantin Scherbakov & S. Lyapunov - 12 études d'exécution transcendante, Op. 11: Lesginka

Lyapunov's Transcendental Etudes are the Cat's Ass. Just sayin'....   0:)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

FideLeo

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 04, 2011, 05:05:52 AM
Ah yes, the famous "Unavailable - we don't know when or if it will be back in stock..."   :-\  Pity, it would have gone in the basket today. Actually, I have a disk from that set already, but I could live with duplicating it to get the remainder. :)

8)

Sorry about that; the available copies at amazon fr and amazon uk are a bit overpriced for what they are...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: masolino on February 04, 2011, 05:54:39 AM
Sorry about that; the available copies at amazon fr and amazon uk are a bit overpriced for what they are...

Not your fault. K617 has a habit of making 50 copies of each release and then letting the collector's market take it from there. I would lump them in with Astrée and Arcana in that respect. >:(   We PIons suffer the tortures of the damned as far as availability goes. That's why I learned a long time ago; if a new release comes out and you want it, BUY IT NOW!!  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Lachner - Das Fischermädchen, Op. 33 10

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

The Mozart CQ coupled with that of Brahms' is available at BRO.
Regards,
Navneeth

FideLeo

Quote from: Opus106 on February 04, 2011, 06:18:34 AM
The Mozart CQ coupled with that of Brahms' is available at BRO.

That's good; two enjoyable recordings available at bargain basement prices!

FideLeo

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 04, 2011, 06:03:03 AM
Not your fault. K617 has a habit of making 50 copies of each release and then letting the collector's market take it from there. I would lump them in with Astrée and Arcana in that respect. >:(   We PIons suffer the tortures of the damned as far as availability goes. That's why I learned a long time ago; if a new release comes out and you want it, BUY IT NOW!!  :)

8)

Arcana is better supplied now since they came under a new (Italian?) management.  I have been able to get some of their recordings second hand relatively easily.

http://www.youtube.com/v/NfzwMNbaDSs

[asin]B002DT14Z6[/asin]

Apparently only Mozart concerto recording on PI from Badura-Skoda (playing a Walter copy by McNulty).  Has some old-fashioned virtues that take a bit of quiet attention to appreciate.  Wish he had done more with this Czech group.

ps. His most recent PI Mozart recordings are a couple of violin sonata discs with young musician Thomas Albertus Irnberger on the Austrian lable Gramola. This one, for example:

[asin]B0040VJU42[/asin]

Have not heard any of them since I am still very satisfied with the complete set I have recorded by Hiro Kurosaki and Linda Nicholson.

Gurn Blanston

Yes, Arcana is a bit better, although far from good. If it wasn't for distribution issues that truly piss me off, I would name them my favorite label, since they have recordings that are so much to my taste that they can do no wrong. Just getting them... :-\

I have that Badura-Skoda concerto disk. I agree, the backup band is excellent, and PBS is his usual excellent self.

Hadn't seen that F & V disk yet. Even though among all my considerable stack of Mozart's F & V sonatas I am satisfied, I would still give these a try. Never know what new revelations await... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
D268 • Bergknappenlied

Bogey

If I only could keep one of my Mozart recordings and had to part with the rest, this one I would be most happy with.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on February 07, 2011, 05:11:55 PM

If I only could keep one of my Mozart recordings and had to part with the rest, this one I would be most happy with.

Yup, that one's first rate. I have a couple of others that are really interesting too, one that actually scores the strings like they should be (in the early ones, no cello, double bass instead), but overall, hard to go wrong with that Kuijken Outfit...

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Amati Quartet - Fauré Op 113 Quartet in e for Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato