Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 07, 2011, 05:21:23 PM
Yup, that one's first rate. I have a couple of others that are really interesting too, one that actually scores the strings like they should be (in the early ones, no cello, double bass instead), but overall, hard to go wrong with that Kuijken Outfit...

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Amati Quartet - Fauré Op 113 Quartet in e for Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato
Can you post your recordings, Gurn....I believe I have asked this before, but.... ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on February 07, 2011, 05:22:53 PM
Can you post your recordings, Gurn....I believe I have asked this before, but.... ;D

Sure. I only have a few, maybe 4 or 5. I bet Masolino has all 233 of them... :D

Well, I have that one to start:
Kuijken Family
Les Adieux
Concertino Nottorno Prague / Kröper
Tokyo Quartet / Galway

I don't think that's all I have, but it's all I can put my hands on right now. If one likes modern instruments with Mozart, one could do a lot worse than that Tokyo/Galway disk.

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Amati Quartet - Fauré Op 113 Quartet in e for Strings 2nd mvmt - Andante
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

FideLeo

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 07, 2011, 05:45:37 PM
Sure. I only have a few, maybe 4 or 5. I bet Masolino has all 233 of them... :D

No I don't have all 233 of them  ::).  I have the Kuijken, the Les Adieux, and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/v/nOrNFAOL4-w

[asin]B000IHZIYS[/asin]

The Kuijken is one of my earliest purchased CDs: the 'booklet' is a sheet folded up like a handkerchief.  :D

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: masolino on February 07, 2011, 09:31:48 PM
No I don't have all 233 of them  ::).  I have the Kuijken, the Les Adieux, and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/v/nOrNFAOL4-w

[asin]B000IHZIYS[/asin]

The Kuijken is one of my earliest purchased CDs: the 'booklet' is a sheet folded up like a handkerchief.  :D

0:)  That one looks good. Beznosiuk is a good flutist, I have admired some of her work before. Plus, I would delight to have a PI version of that Op 25 serenade. Cool!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 08, 2011, 04:25:16 AM
Beznosiuk is a good flutist, I have admired some of her work before.

I agree with you, Gurn. She is a good, a competent flutist; but not an amazing flutist, IMHO. 

Off-topic: Pavlo Beznosiuk has recorded on Linn Records a new version of Bach's Sonatas & Partitas for solo Violin. It's the 74th version this year.  ;D 

FideLeo

Chiara Banchini and her ensemble 415 have since not tackled any Mozart chamber music, and not much Boccherini even.  It's a shame.  We actually need more HIP recordings of the last 2 quintets, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/v/8JTKxdIKgv8

[asin]B001KALT7W[/asin]
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

A quick note for those interested in Viviana's Sofronitsky's account on period instruments: it has been reissued by the Dutch Et'cetera label. Undoubtedly improving availability and probably also price? (Saw a retail price of €45)

http://www.etcetera-records.com/index.php?754

Q

FideLeo

MJ Mengal's arrangement of Mozart K304 for wind quintet (plus Haydn Beethoven and Rossini movements)

http://www.youtube.com/v/b70mZ9WRVpQ

[asin]B0009GV216[/asin]

FideLeo

http://www.youtube.com/v/1LY3dqQUNLA

http://www.youtube.com/v/OOu8QACqGMs

[asin]B0000E6EIC[/asin]

On the programme are KV358, KV381, KV501, KV528 plus the fugue fragment KV401 should anyone feel interested. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Cemb on February 16, 2011, 11:44:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/1LY3dqQUNLA

http://www.youtube.com/v/OOu8QACqGMs

[asin]B0000E6EIC[/asin]

This one looks interesting, but the link doesn't work for me. Neither does removing the ASIN from the link and searching for that. Seems strange.... :-\  In any case, I like the 4 hand works, always looking for nicer performances. :)

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 17, 2011, 04:19:28 AM
This one looks interesting, but the link doesn't work for me. Neither does removing the ASIN from the link and searching for that. Seems strange.... :-\ 

It's available -- the pages exist in any case -- at the branches of Amazon in Timbuktu. ;D (.de, .fr and .co.uk)
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on February 17, 2011, 04:29:14 AM
It's available -- the pages exist in any case -- at the branches of Amazon in Timbuktu. ;D (.de, .fr and .co.uk)

Ah, Timbuktu! Should have known. We used to make that joke using 'Malaysia' but not anymore, now it seems to be true... :D

8)

FideLeo

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 17, 2011, 04:37:01 AM
Ah, Timbuktu! Should have known. We used to make that joke using 'Malaysia' but not anymore, now it seems to be true... :D

8)

I thought Amazon UK's customer service is located in India.   :)
Yes the Ayrton/Gluxam disc can be obtained from Amazon uk de fr etc. 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Keyboard-works-four-hands/dp/B0000E6EIC for example.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Cemb on February 17, 2011, 04:53:44 AM
I thought Amazon UK's customer service is located in India.   :)
Yes the Ayrton/Gluxam disc can be obtained from Amazon uk de fr etc. 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Keyboard-works-four-hands/dp/B0000E6EIC for example.

Good god! If it's in India, we'll never see it! :o

When I clicked the link, it took me to Amazon US, and then verbally abused and berated me for asking for something it didn't recognize. :D   

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 17, 2011, 04:37:01 AM

In Spanish the joke also goes "Tumbuctú" (or more infrequently "Tombuctú")... But, we know, you Americans put the commas inside the quotation marks!  ;D  :D

P.S.: Do you have the 14-CD set of complete keyboard works by van Oort... or the volume XIII of Brilliant's Mozart Edition. There van Oort and Ursula Dütschler play some excellent versions of the 4 hand works.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 17, 2011, 02:06:18 PM
In Spanish the joke also goes "Tumbuctú" (or more infrequently "Tombuctú")... But, we know, you Americans put the commas inside the quotation marks!  ;D  :D

P.S.: Do you have the 14-CD set of complete keyboard works by van Oort... or the volume XIII of Brilliant's Mozart Edition. There van Oort and Ursula Dütschler play some excellent versions of the 4 hand works.  :)

Yes to volume 8. They are good, I agree. Have this one, too, which I rather like:

[asin]B000FDDYZU[/asin]

Still, I don't feel overly overwhelmed with versions of these works, given that I rather enjoy them. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Scottish National Orchestra / Neeme Jarvi - Rimsky-Korsakov Orchestral Suite from 'Le Coq d'Or'  pt 1 - Introduction and Dodon's sleep

SonicMan46

Guys - although I do own a lot of Wolfie's music, I do not have any of these 4-hand keyboard works - so, how much of this music did he write, and where should one start in view of the many recommendations made in the recent posts; period instruments would certainly be my preference - so will await your thoughts -  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on February 17, 2011, 03:37:02 PM
Guys - although I do own a lot of Wolfie's music, I do not have any of these 4-hand keyboard works - so, how much of this music did he write, and where should one start in view of the many recommendations made in the recent posts; period instruments would certainly be my preference - so will await your thoughts -  :D

Dave,
There are just 4 sonatas that I can remember, K 381, 19d, 358, 521, and then some few other pieces, like the very nice K 501 Andante & 5 Variations in G. They would probably all fit on one disk, but I haven't run across one disk that has them all. That one that I pictured above is a nice start, although instead of all the 4 hand works, it has 2 solo sonatas that he dedicated to Nannerl instead. That's the theme, of course. The van Oort and Ursula Dütschler set that Antoine mentions has them all (well, it's the complete Mozart, after all  ::) ) on fortepiano, and that wonderful set that I've beat you up with before, The Soirée Chez les Jacquins has a super rendition of K 521 (which isn't on the Profil disk). You might find something better than any of these, but if you do, you better order 1 for me.... :D

8)

EDIT: Yes, 5 of course, I entirely forgot K 497   :-[   There are also a couple of works for 2 pianos, although they are less popular or well-known. :)

Que

And there is this one:  :)

Quote from: Que on December 26, 2009, 07:09:53 AM

Nearly 80 years after the invention of the fortepiano, the harpsichord was by no means relegated to antique status. On the contrary, the two instruments cohabited throughout the 18th century, to the point where several makers strove to combine them in a single entity! The most incredible of these 'mutants' is probably the extravagant Vis-à-vis built by Johann Andreas Stein in 1777: at one end there is a three-manual harpsichord, at the other a fortepiano with 'moderator' stop. Only two specimens of this instrument still exist today. With its extraordinarily wide range of timbres and dynamics, it enables Andreas Staier and Christine Schornsheim to renew our conception of Mozart's works for piano duet.

Apart from the unique instrument this is some fine Mozart playing! :)

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on February 17, 2011, 02:57:57 PM
Yes to volume 8. They are good, I agree. Have this one, too, which I rather like:

[asin]B000FDDYZU[/asin]

Still, I don't feel overly overwhelmed with versions of these works, given that I rather enjoy them. :)

On several ocassions, I have considered this one:

Mozart - Sonatas for Piano Duet (Complete)
Kocsis, Ránki, harpsichord, piano

It includes some harpsichord playing and the pieces on piano sound excellent.

Disc 1
Sonata for keyboard 4 hands in C major, K. 19d
Sonata for piano 4 hands in D major, K. 381
Sonata for piano 4 hands in B flat major, K. 358
Sonata for piano 4 hands in G major, K. 357 (Completed by J. Andre)

Disc 2
Sonata for piano 4 hands in F major, K. 497
Sonata for piano 4 hands in C major, K. 521

This set is quite hard to find, but there are some copies at the AMP:

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Sonata-Piano-Wolfgang-Amadeus/dp/B00000304D/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1298031721&sr=1-3

:)