Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 15, 2011, 01:04:22 PM
I haven't looked for them in a long time, Dave, but if you want some PI Mozart fortepiano works, Bilson's sonata set is hard to beat too. Just sayin'... :)

Hi Gurn - yes, I've seen that set and have considered a purchase; now, I do own two PI performances of the Sonatas already, i.e. Lubimov & Brautigam, and please w/ both - any new ones coming out?  Just wondering - Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 15, 2011, 01:30:50 PM
Hi Gurn - yes, I've seen that set and have considered a purchase; now, I do own two PI performances of the Sonatas already, i.e. Lubimov & Brautigam, and please w/ both - any new ones coming out?  Just wondering - Dave  :D

Well, since DavidW has already tagged me as a HIP/PI snob, I might as well just go ahead and say "if you don't have Badura-Skoda doing those works, you haven't actually heard them yet".... ;D  No, I can't bring myself to cross that threshold into pure asshole-dom, although thousands have. But I am far more behind that set than any others. I have Lubimov & Brautigam too, Bilson is just uniquely good in his own understated way. I find it hard to rec one over another (except for Badura-Skoda, of course).

Quote from: Leon on July 15, 2011, 01:33:23 PM
If it is as good as his Schubert set, it is a keeper.   

I think it is Leon, I have them both and wouldn't part with either. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 65 Quartet in C for Strings Op. 64 #1 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 15, 2011, 01:30:50 PM

I'm finishing up the Bart van Oort set on Brilliant--includes all the keyboard works, including the 2 keyboard/four hands works (with Ursula Duetschler as his partner in the latter). I don't have anything to directly compare it to, but after 12 CDs (with 2 more to go) I've yet to hear anything I didn't  like.  Even the juvenalia is a pleasant little CD to listen to.

Roberto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 15, 2011, 09:34:23 AM
She is the daughter of Vladimir S. and the grand daughter of Alexander Scriabin (some of those genes must have rubbed off in her obvious talent); plus, her husband is Paul McNulty who built her fortepiano (and I'm sure that the instrument was kept well in tune!).

My only other PI set is w/ Bilson, so cannot provide the extensive notes left by Roberto -  :)
I have known Viviana's husband is McNulty. I think Viviana's fortepiano is really superb.

I have only 2 downloaded CD from Bilson's set but I will buy the entire set sometime in the future. If I had known Bilson's set then I would have written more.  :)

Roberto

Quote from: Leon on July 15, 2011, 10:32:09 AM
Yes, the Levin is very good (might also be my favorite), too bad he never got the complete cycle finished - but I have all but one of the individual sets.  Also, I agree with you on Immerseel - I was very disappointed with this set since I had such high expectations, and it is not disappointement so much with his playing, but the balance between the soloist and the orchestra.  Bilson is better, but I have yet to listen to all of this set - I need to.  I will.   :)
Immerseel's was my first set and he "introduced" me Mozart's piano concertos so this set will always be my special piano concerto set but you are right: the balance is not so good. But it is not so disturbing when I listened to it on my stereo not earphones.

QuoteThere's some interesting HIP Mozart on Naxos Music Library.  Aside from the complete Sofronitsky I found a nice selection of some that I knew about and some I did not know about:
I knew Brautigam before but not the others. Thanks!

SonicMan46

This morning decided to give Bilson another listen - so far, definitely preferred over Viviana's recordings - the orchestra under Gardiner is just so 'polished' - excellent PI set; now do I need yet another PI box?   ;) ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 15, 2011, 03:58:20 PM
........."if you don't have Badura-Skoda doing those works, you haven't actually heard them yet".... ;D  No, I can't bring myself to cross that threshold into pure asshole-dom, although thousands have. But I am far more behind that set than any others. I have Lubimov & Brautigam too, Bilson is just uniquely good in his own understated way. I find it hard to rec one over another (except for Badura-Skoda, of course).

Hi Gurn - your comments above on Badura-Skoda peaked my attention (presumably your preference in the Mozart Sonatas?) - now I have his Schubert recordings; however, the Wolfie (at least as a 5-disc box) seems unavailable - so, I was able to download the five discs as FLAC files, converted them to MP3 (256 kbps), and burned to one CD-R.

Now listening to disc No. 3 - these performances are beautifully done - don't have any liner notes but if possible would be curious about the recording time span and the fortepiano used (I know he owns a number of these instruments) - would appreciate any information - thanks, as usual.  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 17, 2011, 10:40:58 AM
Hi Gurn - your comments above on Badura-Skoda peaked my attention (presumably your preference in the Mozart Sonatas?) - now I have his Schubert recordings; however, the Wolfie (at least as a 5-disc box) seems unavailable - so, I was able to download the five discs as FLAC files, converted them to MP3 (256 kbps), and burned to one CD-R.

Now listening to disc No. 3 - these performances are beautifully done - don't have any liner notes but if possible would be curious about the recording time span and the fortepiano used (I know he owns a number of these instruments) - would appreciate any information - thanks, as usual.  Dave

Hey, Dave. Well that's an interesting set right there. I actually have the "hard copies" of those, so I can tell you without a doubt that there are no liner notes, not a note to be seen or heard anywhere about them. I agree, they are very nice performances indeed. However, I will pass this along to you; despite the fact that there is an unquestionable picture of a fortepiano on the cover, I have been told by someone knowledgeable about these things that it is a modern piano of some sort that he is playing. It sounded like one to me, even though some modern pianos can be made to sound rather like a fortepiano (note Ingrid Haebler playing Mozart on Philips or John McCabe playing Haydn on Decca). In the end they are too smooth to be genuinely a Walter, Steiner or Schantz (or a good copy, since it's the action, not the age, that rock and rolls). That was why I started asking around about it. If someone has a definitive answer to the contrary I would be interested to hear that side of the story.

No matter the instrument, they are still very fine performances, and I listen to my set fairly often still. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Four Nations Ensemble - Keyboard Trio No. 18 (Sonata) in A - Hob XV-18 - Allegro

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 17, 2011, 11:15:17 AM
Hey, Dave. Well that's an interesting set right there. I actually have the "hard copies" of those, so I can tell you without a doubt that there are no liner notes, not a note to be seen or heard anywhere about them. I agree, they are very nice performances indeed. However, I will pass this along to you; despite the fact that there is an unquestionable picture of a fortepiano on the cover, I have been told by someone knowledgeable about these things that it is a modern piano of some sort that he is playing. It sounded like one to me, even though some modern pianos can be made to sound rather like a fortepiano (note Ingrid Haebler playing Mozart on Philips or John McCabe playing Haydn on Decca). In the end they are too smooth to be genuinely a Walter, Steiner or Schantz (or a good copy, since it's the action, not the age, that rock and rolls). That was why I started asking around about it. If someone has a definitive answer to the contrary I would be interested to hear that side of the story.

No matter the instrument, they are still very fine performances, and I listen to my set fairly often still. :)

I didn't know the existence of these recordings.

I own the complete piano sonatas - plus some miscellaneous works - recorded on Naïve, a 6-CD set which includes a description of the fortepiano played in every disc (from Badura-Skoda's collection) and extensive liner notes by him and Eva Badura-Skoda.

This is my set:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: toñito on July 17, 2011, 11:36:43 AM
I didn't know the existence of these recordings.

I own the complete piano sonatas - plus some miscellaneous works - recorded on Naïve, a 6-CD set which includes a description of the fortepiano played in every disc (from Badura-Skoda's collection) and extensive liner notes by him and Eva Badura-Skoda.

This is my set:

Yes, that is the set that I also have. I actually bought it to replace the one that Dave mentions, simply because I didn't know anything about that set, the box says absolutely nothing except the track names. It's the Naive one that I was talking about earlier though. Wonderful set, and easily my favorite despite all the others I have. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
New Dusseldorf Hofmusik / Utiger   Christine Schornsheim - Hob 18 02 Concerto in D for Harpsichord 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 17, 2011, 11:40:29 AM
Yes, that is the set that I also have. I actually bought it to replace the one that Dave mentions, simply because I didn't know anything about that set, the box says absolutely nothing except the track names. It's the Naive one that I was talking about earlier though. Wonderful set, and easily my favorite despite all the others I have. :)

Then he recorded twice the piano sonatas... interesting. He did so with Beethoven: he recorded the complete piano sonatas between 1969-70 (still available on Gramola) and then recorded them again in Naïve, this time on pianoforte (the first set was played on his Bösendorfer Imperial, I think).     

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: toñito on July 17, 2011, 11:49:43 AM
Then he recorded twice the piano sonatas... interesting. He did so with Beethoven: he recorded the complete piano sonatas between 1969-70 (still available on Gramola) and then recorded them again in Naïve, this time on pianoforte (the first set was played on his Bösendorfer Imperial, I think).   

Yes, that is correct (AFAIK). I also have the Astrée/Naive set. Todd has reviewed the Bösendorfer set quite favorably, although I wasn't particularly interested in yet another modern piano set, despite that the piano is such a great one. As far as Mozart goes, I had heard that he maybe recorded them 3 times total. I don't know, the set we have on Naive is a re-release of an Astrée original, I'm fairly sure. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
New Dusseldorf Hofmusik / Utiger   Christine Schornsheim - Hob 18 08 Concerto in C for Organ 1st mvmt - Moderato

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 17, 2011, 11:15:17 AM

Gurn - now this is becoming mysterious!  ;D

I've gone through 4 of the discs (as MP3 files) and agree that the piano just sounded rather 'modern' to my ears - still, excellent performances, so now I'm intrigued -   8)

I found a post on a Mozart Forum HERE stating "Paul Badura-Skoda, Paul (forte-piano Johann Schantz, Vienna ca. 1790)" from 2005, and one that you had a response although not stating any information (or agreeing) about the type of piano used - the mystery continues (and labels are different?) -  ;)

On Amazon, Scott Morrison describing the box pictured below states "these performances were recorded on one that he owns, a 1790 piano built in Vienna by Johann Schantz, which was just one year before Mozart's death. So there is every reason to believe that Mozart himself played on similar pianos. " (HERE) - now did Badura-Skoda record 'complete' sets of the Mozart Piano Sonatas more than once? 

Finally, there is a short review by Jed Distler stating "I compared the performances to Badura-Skoda's 1979-81 counterparts on a modern concert grand (issued on Eurodisc, and now out of print)." (on ClassicsToday HERE, implying that the performances on Eurodisc are on a modern piano).

Now, I'm not sure; but, appears that this pianist has recorded these sonatas more than once and on two different types of pianos - I suspect that the Eurodisc recordings are on the modern piano - hope that others may provide enlightenment?  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 17, 2011, 02:34:46 PM
Gurn - now this is becoming mysterious!  ;D

Dave,
Well this box pictured is certainly played on a 1790 Schantz owned by Badura-Skoda. I have it at hand as I type. It says the original copyright is 1990, and I believe that is the recording date also. Now, the Eurodisc box, which I also have at hand as I type, gives the original recording dates as November, 1979 - April, 1981. It says below that "Paul Badura-Skoda, Piano (which was what got me started looking around after my ears started twitching :) ). Also it is 5 disks and the Naive is 6 disks. So Scott is describing the 2nd cycle, and Distler the 1st. Before I purchased the Naive cycle, I had been looking around for it for several years. Around the turn of the millennium, there were a very few Astrée single disks floating around. Of course, Naive and Astrée are sister labels, and I believe that around 2006 (Mozart 250th birthday), they collected those singles into a box and re-released them on Naive. Good thing, the 2 or 3 singles I found were going for $75-100, and the box was $35. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quatuor Terpsycordes - D 804 Quartet in a for Strings 4th mvmt - Allegro moderato

Leon

Listening right now to Mozart Piano Trios on BIS, the Arion Trio -

And was wondering if anyone has heard the Mozartean Players with these works on PI?  Or any other PI recordings of them out there?

DavidW

Quote from: Leon on July 21, 2011, 08:31:58 AM

And was wondering if anyone has heard the Mozartean Players with these works on PI?  Or any other PI recordings of them out there?

I like the recording that you're listening to (Arion Trio).  As for the Mozartean Players, I didn't like them when I heard them but I'm willing to try again.  We've discussed this before and all of the HIPsters seem to love the Mozartean Players.

Leon

Quote from: DavidW on July 21, 2011, 09:07:11 AM
I like the recording that you're listening to (Arion Trio).  As for the Mozartean Players, I didn't like them when I heard them but I'm willing to try again.  We've discussed this before and all of the HIPsters seem to love the Mozartean Players.

Also, toñito alerted me to a 5-CD set (PI) of Mozart's chamber music by the Smithson String Quartet which may have these works; won't know until the box arrives.  I had forgotten about ordering that set when I posted above.

[asin]B000H6SU9U[/asin]

A great deal, 5 discs for under $15.00 - if you want PI set of Mozart SQ.

:)

DavidW

Thanks Leon, I never got that QM set so this will be awesome!  Ordered. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on July 21, 2011, 09:36:40 AM
Thanks Leon, I never got that QM set so this will be awesome!  Ordered. :)

Yep, that's exactly the box that I mentioned to you once before. It is very fine. :)

As for the Mozartean Players, I like them pretty well. Lubin is a good fortepianist. I have the complete piano trios both by them and by the London Mozart Players on Hyperion. It's a toss-up, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

None of which is to say that I don't enjoy the BAT from time to time. :)

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leon on July 21, 2011, 08:31:58 AM

Well, I've not heard the Arion Trio, but I've own the Lubin 2-CD set for years (and actually my only recording of these works so I must enjoy - also have their recordings of the Piano Quartets) - but, could always used an additional performance, PI or not!  ;D

Concerning the Smithson String Quartet offering, which I also own - does NOT include the trios, mainly string quartets & a few quintets (plus sever other chamber works).   :)