Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 21, 2011, 02:46:19 PM
Concerning the Smithson String Quartet offering, which I also own - does NOT include the trios, mainly string quartets & a few quintets (plus sever other chamber works).   :)

Yes, the so-called "Haydn quartets" are the core of this set. This is the exact program:

CD1
Divertimento for violin, viola and cello in E flat major K563 (1788) [49:21]
Quartet for oboe, violin and 'cello in F major K370 (1781) [14:32]

CD2
String Quartet no 14 in G major K 387 (1782) [21:11]
String Quartet no 15 in D minor K 421 (1783) [30:45]

CD3
String Quartet no 16 in E flat major K428 (1784) [33:40]
String Quartet no 17 in B flat major K 458 "The Hunt" (1784) [32:49]

CD4
String Quartet no 18 in A major K464 (1785) [37:42]
String Quartet no 19 in C major K465 "Dissonance" (1785) [38:06]

CD5
String Quintet in B flat major K174 (1773) [39:52]
String Quintet in G minor K516 (1787) [39:33]

:)

DavidW

Still riding the PI Mozart mood, I also ordered the Festetics Quartet set for the late quartets.  I think I stand alone, but when I heard some of their Mozart SQs on nml I was wowed. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on July 21, 2011, 04:20:58 PM
Still riding the PI Mozart mood, I also ordered the Festetics Quartet set for the late quartets.  I think I stand alone, but when I heard some of their Mozart SQs on nml I was wowed. :)

If you are talking about this set, then you aren't entirely alone;

as I am also very fond of it. So in addition to my Mosaiques set of all 10, I have a second set of the Haydn's by the Smithsons, and the Last 4 by the Festetics. A varied approach is always best.   0:)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quatuor Mosaiques - Hob 03 80 Quartet in Eb for Strings Op 76 #6 1st mvmt - Allegretto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 21, 2011, 05:07:03 PM
A varied approach is always best.

A varied HIP approach is always the best.

Damn! I'm seeing Jens on the horizon. Run, Gurn, run!  ;D :D ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: toñito on July 21, 2011, 05:15:29 PM
A varied HIP approach is always the best.

Damn! I'm seeing Jens on the horizon. Run, Gurn, run!  ;D :D ;D

:o :o  I guess we HIP/PI's have more than sound quality to argue about, eh?   :)

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention the delightfully different approach espoused by the Kuijken Quartet in the 6 Haydn Quartets... :) 

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quattuor Mosaiques - Hob 03 80 Quartet in Eb for Strings Op 76 #6 4th mvmt - Finale: Allegro spiritoso

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 21, 2011, 05:20:40 PM
:o :o  I guess we HIP/PI's have more than sound quality to argue about, eh?   :)

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention the delightfully different approach espoused by the Kuijken Quartet in the 6 Haydn Quartets... :) 

BTW, as you, I guess David ordered the Festetics on Arcana (again: what a wonderful label!). But it would be great to have their Mozart's string quartets recorded on Hungaroton (a 3-CD set, quartets 1 to 13), totally OOP, but available on NML.

DavidW

Tonito that Hungarton one is what I heard on nml and wow! great stuff, too bad it is oop.  You're right I ordered the Arcana one off of arkivmusic.

You know what I was thinking of the other forum, this one embraces QF with arms open! :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: toñito on July 21, 2011, 05:27:14 PM
BTW, as you, I guess David ordered the Festetics on Arcana (again: what a wonderful label!). But it would be great to have their Mozart's string quartets recorded on Hungaroton (a 3-CD set, quartets 1 to 13), totally OOP, but available on NML.

Yes, that would be great. AFAIK, that's the only PI set ever recorded of those works. I have them on Calliope, done by the Talich Quartet, but really, that's the only set I've ever seen of them at all, MI or PI!

8)

----------------
Now playing:
L' Archibudelli - Hob 03 81 Quartet in G for Strings Op 77 #1 3rd mvmt - Menuetto: Presto

DavidW

I looked around and found that you can actually buy the #1-13 set on itunes for a whopping $30!

Leon

Wow - I am listening to the Festetics Mozart on NML as  type this and this is really very enjoyable.   

DavidW

Awesome Leon! :)  We can have a Festetics treehouse, critics not allowed! ;D

Leon

Quote from: DavidW on July 21, 2011, 06:10:06 PM
Awesome Leon! :)  We can have a Festetics treehouse, critics not allowed! ;D

:D

Looks like I will be sending some business to Arkiv Music ... this is turning into a Mozart month!  But I think I'll splurge and get all the Haydn discs as well.

;)

DavidW

Awesome Leon!  That will be a heck of a haul!! :)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 21, 2011, 05:40:18 PM
Yes, that would be great. AFAIK, that's the only PI set ever recorded of those works. I have them on Calliope, done by the Talich Quartet, but really, that's the only set I've ever seen of them at all, MI or PI!

8)

You have me confused.  Which works are you talking about?

kishnevi

Meanwhile,  I went exploring on Arkiv and Amazon and ended up ordering the Festetics/Badura Skoda recording of the piano quartets.  My only other recording of these works is the Mozartean Players,  so I still have no MI version of them.

Que

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 21, 2011, 07:40:41 PM
Meanwhile,  I went exploring on Arkiv and Amazon and ended up ordering the Festetics/Badura Skoda recording of the piano quartets.  My only other recording of these works is the Mozartean Players,  so I still have no MI version of them.

That is an absolutely great recording! :) Totally satisfacory and upstages the Mozartean Players IMO in character. Yes, I'm another QF devotee ;D. Though spreading the word on them was initially a bumpy ride...  8)

BTW I recently made an inventory of PI rec. of the piano quartets (haven't heard any of them):

Q

Que

Quote from: Leon on July 21, 2011, 08:31:58 AM
And was wondering if anyone has heard the Mozartean Players with these works on PI?  Or any other PI recordings of them out there?

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 21, 2011, 02:46:19 PM
Well, I've not heard the Arion Trio, but I've own the Lubin 2-CD set for years (and actually my only recording of these works so I must enjoy - also have their recordings of the Piano Quartets) - but, could always used an additional performance, PI or not!  ;D

Another vote for the Mozartean Players!  :) Don't feel the need to explore other options, though I think there aren't many.

Q

Roberto

I am thinking of some Mozart chamber music to buy next month (HIP of course  :) ). String quintets, quartets trios maybe. I found your posts helpful. I don't know these pieces yet so I have to thinking on "names" and "labels".
I have chosen the piano quartets with Bilson/Wilcock/Schlapp/Mason on Archiv. I think it can't be wrong.

I chosen the quintets with the Salomon quartet but only based on the reviews on Amazon. What do you think?
[asin]B000002ZEB[/asin]

I didn't choose any piano trios. Maybe I will buy some church sonata instead of trios now.
[asin]B000000AIZ[/asin]

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on July 21, 2011, 09:23:50 PM

... Yes, I'm another QF devotee ;D. Though spreading the word on them was initially a bumpy ride...  8)

Yes, I clearly recall when some years ago you preached in the wilderness on Festetics' virtues before the Arcana resurrection. Three years ago, Gurn was probably the only other GMG member (apart from you) who had recordings by the Festetics. But I don't know if today the Festetics have gotten a really wider audience (I hope so) because here we are still you, Gurn and me and, fortunately, Leon and David are joining to us. Anyway I would recommend to every Haydn and Festetics fan to acquire quickly all their string quartets on Arcana because nobody knows how much time they will be available.   :) 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Roberto on July 21, 2011, 11:02:30 PM
I am thinking of some Mozart chamber music to buy next month (HIP of course  :) ). String quintets, quartets trios maybe. I found your posts helpful. I don't know these pieces yet so I have to thinking on "names" and "labels".
I have chosen the piano quartets with Bilson/Wilcock/Schlapp/Mason on Archiv. I think it can't be wrong.

I chosen the quintets with the Salomon quartet but only based on the reviews on Amazon. What do you think?
[asin]B000002ZEB[/asin]

I didn't choose any piano trios. Maybe I will buy some church sonata instead of trios now.
[asin]B000000AIZ[/asin]

Roberto, I think you will really like that Salomon's "Quintets" duo. I am very pleased with it myself. This group gives good solid performances, and well-recorded by Hyperion.

I haven't heard that Church Sonatas disk before. I should remedy that, as I like the music very well. :)

8)