Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: DavidRoss on August 31, 2011, 01:36:25 PM
His Le Nozze and especially his Cosi are even better!

Yes, I believe you are right! Great recordings indeed!

Cascade

http://youtu.be/RBU5VEEKpXk

Mozart K.378 performed by Kurosaki and Nicholson. Sounds lovely. Hopefully these recordings will be reissued at some point! The only result on Ebay is from a german seller who asks €80 for a used set. :o

What do you guys think are the best hip-recordings of the violin sonatas that are not oop?

jlaurson

Quote from: Cascade on November 23, 2011, 09:19:55 AM

Mozart K.378 performed by Kurosaki and Nicholson. Sounds lovely. Hopefully these recordings will be reissued at some point! The only result on Ebay is from a german seller who asks €80 for a used set. :o

What do you guys think are the best hip-recordings of the violin sonatas that are not oop?

The complete set can be had for a decent price at German Amazon.

I'd like to say: "Cooper / Podger" -- but I'm not as enthusiastic about their set as I thought I'd be.
I very much like the one-off effort of Manze & Egarr on HMU... which alas does not include the B-flat Major.

Gurn Blanston

My personal favorites all-around are Rivest & Breitman. Right behind are Kuijken & Devos. Among older individual disks I like Kuijken & Leonhardt. I also have the first 3 volumes of Bianchini's set, although I am damned if I can remember the name of her keyboardist   :-[  The one I would most like to hear is Podger/Cooper. There are so many nice disks out there in this repertoire, it is really hard to say "this is my very favorite one".  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

QuoteWhat do you guys think are the best hip-recordings of the violin sonatas that are not oop?

I echo the recommendations previously mentioned, esp. the Rivest & Breitman - but this one is very nice, imo, although far from complete:

[asin]B001LJL530[/asin]

:)

Que

Another Rivest & Breitman (Analekta) fan reporting. $:)

Though I can imagine the Müllejans & Bezuidenhout being very good.

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on November 23, 2011, 11:28:50 AM

Though I can imagine the Müllejans & Bezuidenhout being very good.
Q

Me too. So much music, so little time. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

As it's clear from the previous posts, there are three HIP sets currently available:

- Kuijken/Devos (Accent);

- Podger/Cooper (Channel Classics);

- Rivest/Breitman (Analekta).

We have had this conversation several times before, so our preferences are already quite clear. Harry will vote Kuijken; Q, Rivest; me: Podger. Then there are some more moderate supporters. For instance, Gurn prefers Rivest, but less categorically than Q and if it exists a slight provocation, Jens will mention a non-HIP CD: Steinberg/Uchida.  ;D

Personally, I consider Podger/Cooper the most beautifully played and recorded and the most complete set in existence. YouTube provides some nice examples.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 23, 2011, 06:32:05 PM
As it's clear from the previous posts, there are three HIP sets currently available:

We have had this conversation several times before, so our preferences are already quite clear. Harry will vote Kuijken; Q, Rivest; me: Podger. Then there are some more moderate supporters. For instance, Gurn prefers Rivest, but less categorically than Q and if it exists a slight provocation, Jens will mention a non-HIP CD: Steinberg/Uchida.  ;D

Personally, I consider Podger/Cooper the most beautifully played and recorded and the most complete set in existence. YouTube provides some nice examples.  :)

:D  Although I did mention that I would like to hear Podger/Cooper... :)

I have a variety of individual disks that I quite enjoy also. For example, I have Schiff/Shiokawa playing on Mozart's own instruments from the Mozarteum, which is a very nice disk. And a Malcolm Bilson / Sergiu Luca box on Etcetera. But for complete sets it's a different story, as you say, Antoine. Not so many out there.

Or these guys here... :)

8)

jlaurson

I would hate to disappoint you:

"HIP or not, this is one of the finest Mozart Sonatas for Keyboard and Violin single discs:

Mozart, A few Violin Sonatas
Uchida / Steinberg
Philips

But I should like to point out that my first action was to point out this disc.

Mozart, A couple Violin Sonatas
Egarr / Manze
Harmonia Mundi

Unfortunately I've not yet heard the Bezuidenhout recording... esp. given how much I love his Mozart Sonata recordings (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/03/dip-your-ears-no-107.html), I am expecting a whole lot from it.

Mozart, A few Violin Sonatas
Bezuidenhout / Müllejans
Harmonia Mundi

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Kuijken it still is. Re listen to them, and they charm me as ever before....wonderful!

Cascade

Thank you all for the suggestions! I've got some sampling to do! 8)

Elgarian

Personally, I consider Podger/Cooper the most beautifully played and recorded and the most complete set in existence. YouTube provides some nice examples.

I have Kuijken/Devos (tipped off to a wonderful bargain by Harry, on whom be blessings poured) and almost all the Podger/Cooper. The Podger/Cooper recordings are lovely, no question; anyone would be pleased to have them. But there is something about the Kuijken/Devos set that grabbed me right from the start, and had me spinning the discs day after day, revelling in the rough vitality, and chuckling out loud sometimes. When I bought a couple of the Podger discs I was a bit disappointed at first, by what seemed to be a more 'polite' approach, though once I became more used to their take on things, I  realised that was a misunderstanding. Even so, I still think there's a kind of wildness in the Kuijken that is missing from the Podger, and it's the Kuijken I'd grab first if I had to rescue one from a fire.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Elgarian on November 24, 2011, 12:42:16 PM
I have Kuijken/Devos (tipped off to a wonderful bargain by Harry, on whom be blessings poured) and almost all the Podger/Cooper. The Podger/Cooper recordings are lovely, no question; anyone would be pleased to have them. But there is something about the Kuijken/Devos set that grabbed me right from the start, and had me spinning the discs day after day, revelling in the rough vitality, and chuckling out loud sometimes. When I bought a couple of the Podger discs I was a bit disappointed at first, by what seemed to be a more 'polite' approach, though once I became more used to their take on things, I  realised that was a misunderstanding. Even so, I still think there's a kind of wildness in the Kuijken that is missing from the Podger, and it's the Kuijken I'd grab first if I had to rescue one from a fire.

I think your description of Kuijken/Devos is very accurate. But curiously that "roughness" (on the part of Kuijken because I like Devos), it's the main reason why I have problems with those recordings. Never before or after them, I felt more insistently that Kuijken was a Baroque violinist invading the Classical repertoire. Classical music (I mean music from the so-called Classical period) is essentially about to please and entertain and I don't see Kuijken doing that with his nude tone. On the contrary, I think he loses a great part of the charm and sweetness of Mozart, without to gain in deep melancholy, as Steinberg, for instance... And that charm, sweetness, balance and respect for Classical proportions it's what I love in Podger/Cooper.  :)

Elgarian

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 24, 2011, 02:39:35 PM
I think your description of Kuijken/Devos is very accurate. But curiously that "roughness" (on the part of Kuijken because I like Devos), it's the main reason why I have problems with those recordings. Never before or after them, I felt more insistently that Kuijken was a Baroque violinist invading the Classical repertoire. Classical music (I mean music from the so-called Classical period) is essentially about to please and entertain and I don't see Kuijken doing that with his nude tone. On the contrary, I think he loses a great part of the charm and sweetness of Mozart, without to gain in deep melancholy, as Steinberg, for instance... And that charm, sweetness, balance and respect for Classical proportions it's what I love in Podger/Cooper.  :)

I think that's an entirely understandable response, Antoine, and more thoughtful than mine; and it may well be that my preference is a preference for the inauthentic. Even so, it feels authentic, to me; I imagine Mozart grinning at the audacity of Kuijken's approach. The great thing is: we can have both.

milk

Quote from: Elgarian on November 24, 2011, 05:21:28 PM
I think that's an entirely understandable response, Antoine, and more thoughtful than mine; and it may well be that my preference is a preference for the inauthentic. Even so, it feels authentic, to me; I imagine Mozart grinning at the audacity of Kuijken's approach. The great thing is: we can have both.

This conversation inspired me to go back and listen to selections from both of these sets. I listened with more attention and derived greater enjoyment from them. Both of them. Thanks!

jlaurson

Quote from: Bunny on April 13, 2007, 01:50:26 PM
I recently picked up this as well, but haven't had a chance to give it a spin.  It's strange to see such a glaring error in grammar on an album cover.  It's a reminder that not every record company is English speaking.

Very typical plural-apostrophe-overcompensation  for Germanic-language countries.
Near my Munich pad there's a store that goes (and must have been going for some 20+ years) by the name of "Lady's Shoes" -- and I'm pretty sure that's not what they mean.  ;D

Geo Dude

Thank you to all of the participants in this thread.  It's been a fascinating, informative, and I will admit somewhat expensive thread up to this point.

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 24, 2011, 02:39:35 PM

Thanks are in particular due to Antoine for this post which helped me settle on the first volume in the Podger set, which turned out to be exactly what I'm looking for.  Sweet toned without being overly sentimental, willing to take risks, yet still maintaining that classical charm...and what a great production job, too.  It grabbed me and made me want more, the way the Uchida/Steinberg set did.  And this one is 1. HIP and 2. Not just a one off!  I will definitely be picking up the rest of this set...at a slow pace, I hope!

Thanks are also in order to whoever it was that recommended this recording:

[asin]B00004WMX7[/asin]

This is a wonderful, wonderful recording and has received several plays since arrival a few days ago.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 08, 2011, 07:23:52 PM

Thanks are also in order to whoever it was that recommended this recording:

[asin]B00004WMX7[/asin]

This is a wonderful, wonderful recording and has received several plays since arrival a few days ago.

That was probably David Ross, IIRC he is one of two who were adamantly fond of that disk, the other being the long-missing Scarpia. I ordered that disk once on the AMP, and received an entirely different disk in its place. Never went back for another try; my loss, no doubt (although my Badura-Skoda/Festetics version hits the spot too).

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 09, 2011, 04:31:28 AM
(although my Badura-Skoda/Festetics version hits the spot too)

The piano-&-winds gem of the K.452, yes?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot