Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

But . . . the Festetics were a string quartet, weren't they? So they would be absent from the K.452, bien sûr . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 09, 2011, 04:34:39 AM
The piano-&-winds gem of the K.452, yes?

No, it wouldn't be there, Karl. There was a contemporaneous arrangement of that lovely piece as a Piano Quartet. Publishers will do what publishers will do. It is rarely recorded, but that would be a good one of it. Not Badura (he doesn't do it here) but the Sonnerie disk. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 09, 2011, 04:39:04 AM
No, it wouldn't be there, Karl. There was a contemporaneous arrangement of that lovely piece as a Piano Quartet. Publishers will do what publishers will do. It is rarely recorded, but that would be a good one of it. Not Badura (he doesn't do it here) but the Sonnerie disk. :)

8)

Gotcha. Oh, but that's weird . . . Mozart knew what he was doing, and that wind writing is crème de la crème.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Has anyone heard this?

Any comments? It's high on my wishlist as I haven't encountered a single disappointing Savall recording yet.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 09, 2011, 04:40:51 AM
Gotcha. Oh, but that's weird . . . Mozart knew what he was doing, and that wind writing is crème de la crème.

No doubt, but the nub of this is that society amateurs, who formed a huge percentage of the buying public, generally weren't wind players, they were keyboardists (ladies) and stringsmen (gents). So for a publisher it was automatic. In many cases it was the composer himself who did the arrangement. Not sure about this one though. :)

8)

Quote from: Florestan on December 09, 2011, 04:58:52 AM
Has anyone heard this?

Any comments? It's high on my wishlist as I haven't encountered a single disappointing Savall recording yet.

Sorry, Flori, I haven't done, but if I saw it I would have snapped it up long ago. I agree with you, never disappointed with Savall. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 09, 2011, 05:28:40 AM
No doubt, but the nub of this is that society amateurs, who formed a huge percentage of the buying public, generally weren't wind players, they were keyboardists (ladies) and stringsmen (gents). So for a publisher it was automatic.

Ho capito.  Those were still the woolly days of mix-&-match, arrange, assign wilful opus numbers, cats & dogs living together . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Leon

Has anyone heard this?

I have it:  Very good, better than Hogwood (IMO), but it won't displace this one as my favorite:

[asin]B00005QVK2[/asin]

I might add, the reason why I prefer the Spering is 1) I happen to like very much the slower tempo in the Introitus, and having the option of hearing the movements as Mozart left them is a added feature.  But otherwise the Savall is highly recommended, and I might (?) even prefer his solists.

:)

Coopmv

Has anyone heard this?

I bought this recordings a while back.  IIRC, it is quite good ...

petrarch

Has anyone heard this?

I have it; it is good, though I'm not that keen on Figueras' voice. FWIW, it is a rerelease of an older recording but now with remastering for SACD (I have the older one too).

For another interesting period performance there is this too:

[asin]B004JP8NZQ[/asin]
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Coopmv

Quote from: petrarch on December 09, 2011, 05:26:08 PM
I have it; it is good, though I'm not that keen on Figueras' voice. FWIW, it is a rerelease of an older recording but now with remastering for SACD (I have the older one too).

For another interesting period performance there is this too:

[asin]B004JP8NZQ[/asin]

Agree.  I think the late Figueras voice might be more suited for early music than Mozart Requiem from the high classical period ...

Que

That Music Aeterna look quite interesting! :)

Sofar, but I'm a few years behind the curve on the latest recordings, my favourite full fledged HIP recording has been Bruno Weil's of Landon's edition:

It's so captivating, and with a boys' choir, that I wouldn't be easily persuaded to switch allegeances. :)

Q

Geo Dude

Earlier in the thread these two fine recordings were mentioned, and I would like to mention them again.  They came in the mail recently and it has been love at first listen for both recordings.  Wonderful works that certainly help strengthen Gurn's position that the idea that works prior to K270 aren't worth a listen is dead wrong.  Not to mention, they can both be picked up for under $4 on the market place!

Leon

Oh, I find it short-sighted to think of the early works of Mozart as "juvenilia" or some such "pejorative" term.  Implying that they are of only historical interest as the young works of a prodigy, and not worthwhile as music - is not an completely accurate appraisal, IMO.  Of ours the violin concertos are well beyond juvenilia.

I have this recording:

- and enjoy it very much.  Even the very early works, not to say the works post 1771, have a touching charm that cannot help but please all, but the most curmudgeonly, listeners.

:)

milk

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: milk on January 17, 2012, 01:12:14 AM
New Bezuidenhout:

Yes! Totally renewed! He's skinny now and don't use glasses.  ;D

milk

Yes! Totally renewed! He's skinny now and don't use glasses.  ;D
[/quote]
Ha! I like how no one misses a beat around here!

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

milk

Quote from: Opus106 on January 17, 2012, 11:47:05 PM
I kind of miss the Franz Peter look. ;D
Oh come on: he's got it going on with that hair!

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

milk

Quote from: Opus106 on January 18, 2012, 12:50:49 AM
Meh.
Hmm. Well, whether or not he's got the look you want to know better, I'm glad he's continuing with the cycle. This is the fourth release I believe.