Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: milk on January 18, 2012, 01:56:45 AM
This is the fourth release I believe.

It's Volume 3, and they're being released in numerical order. The "Strum and Drang" CD was for a different label and it contains works beyond the sonatas. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

milk

Quote from: Opus106 on January 18, 2012, 02:26:51 AM
It's Volume 3, and they're being released in numerical order. The "Strum and Drang" CD was for a different label and it contains works beyond the sonatas. :)
Right, I see what you mean: different label. The "Strum and Drang" Cd has sonatas K. 457 and K. 310 as well as fantasias and the Adagio in B minor. Well, I'll definitely be collecting everything in this series.
He seems to be in high demand these days.
Actually, I was lucky enough to catch him in Japan a couple of years ago performing a Mozart program.
There are not a lot of chances to see period performances over here!

jlaurson

Quote from: milk on January 18, 2012, 03:37:07 AM
Right, I see what you mean: different label. The "Strum and Drang" Cd has sonatas K. 457 and K. 310 as well as fantasias and the Adagio in B minor. Well, I'll definitely be collecting everything in this series.
He seems to be in high demand these days.
Actually, I was lucky enough to catch him in Japan a couple of years ago performing a Mozart program.
There are not a lot of chances to see period performances over here!

Heard him twice in short succession this summer... lovely -- even if the all-Beethoven program with Mullova was an unfortunate flop. And can't wait to get my ears on that Mozart again.

mszczuj

No one have checked it so far?

[asin]B004JP8NZQ[/asin]

I've just heard it on Grooveshark (there is no Confutatis alas):

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Mozart+Requiem/6557342

and must say that it seems to be a step in the right direction.

Leo K.

This looks very interesting...anyone heard it?

8)

mszczuj

Quote from: mszczuj on February 18, 2012, 01:38:42 AM
No one have checked it so far?

[asin]B004JP8NZQ[/asin]

I'm afraid search button is not the most believable tool to check what was in the thread so far.

Que

Clever Hans

I would be very surprised if we don't see some official Mozart concerto recordings from Bezuidenhout soon, since he has all of them in his repertoire, and collaboration on that with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra has been mentioned in his plans on a few sites.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Clever Hans on March 05, 2012, 11:46:45 AM
I would be very surprised if we don't see some official Mozart concerto recordings from Bezuidenhout soon, since he has all of them in his repertoire, and collaboration on that with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra has been mentioned in his plans on a few sites.

That would really be something to look forward to!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

milk

Quote from: Que on March 04, 2012, 12:23:46 PM

New! :)

Q
I downloaded this. I'm not enjoying it so far. The instrument is really low in the mix. It's definitely not a pleasant sounding fortepiano either.
Maybe I'll try again. I own and enjoy a lot of Schoonderwoerd recordings. 

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on March 15, 2012, 09:19:14 AM
[asin]B007EVQASO[/asin]

Also at Amazon UK.

Not that these aren't fine disks, but Consortium Classicum are a modern instrument ensemble. And a good one, I might add. :)

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 15, 2012, 09:27:57 AM
Consortium Classicum are a modern instrument ensemble.

8)

:o

My bad. Thanks for the letting me know, Gurn. :) I'd always assumed that this was a PI band.

*grumbles about slightly misleading ensemble names*
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on March 15, 2012, 09:35:58 AM
:o

My bad. Thanks for the letting me know, Gurn. :) I'd always assumed that this was a PI band.

*grumbles about slightly misleading ensemble names*

Yup. They fooled me at the first too. Still, I have many of their disks because a> they play a lot of unusual stuff (like Cartellieri, for example) and b> They are really very good. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on July 22, 2011, 09:50:00 PM
They doen't look to be on period instruments? Anyway, I do know just the thing! :)
I actually play this recording quite often - the charm of these pieces as well as the performances proves to be quite irresistable.

One caveat for collectors in relation to the title "Chamber sonatas" on the cover instead of "Church sonatas": the recording sticks to the sonatas with the instrumentation of a "church trio": two violins, bass and organ. The sonatas scored for additional wind instruments are excluded (K263, 278 and 329). A chamber organ is used and not a church organ. Still, this recording is a peach IMO. :)

[asin]B0012OR006[/asin]

Q

I'm shopping around for a period set of these works. This one that Que recommends, this one by the King's Consort:

[asin]B000002ZMO[/asin]

and finally this one by Haselböck's group:

[asin]B001UUNBZU[/asin]

are the ones with the most immediate appeal for me. Has anyone been in a position to compare any of these yet? Or to include another for consideration?  I am keen on having the 2 violins, cello and organ quartet instrumentation. Medlam has that, although I only see 14 of the 17 on that disk, while the others have all 17. Still, that's not a deal breaker (unless my favorites are omitted!).

Suggestions welcome.

8)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: Opus106 on May 31, 2012, 10:46:37 PM
King's is now on Helios. That's all.

Isn't Helios the budget label for Hyperion?