Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Depending upon where you're looking it was either released recently or is to be released in a month or two:

[asin]B008469GYI[/asin]

Has anyone heard it yet?
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on November 23, 2012, 09:47:55 AM
Depending upon where you're looking it was either released recently or is to be released in a month or two:

[asin]B008469GYI[/asin]

Has anyone heard it yet?

Thanks, Nav. Wish-listing that was a no-brainer!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: petrarch on November 23, 2012, 12:14:15 PM
This one sounds interesting, even though fortepiano is not, ahem, my forte:

https://outhere-music.com/store-ZZT_306/W_A__Mozart-Pieces_for_two_fortepianos-Alexei_Lubimov__Yury_Martynov.html

Yes, it does sound interesting. Lubimov is a well-regarded Mozartian, I like his sonata cycle a lot. Martynov is new to me. The choices of music look good. A transcription of the Piano 4tet into a 2 piano work is an intriguing idea. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

PaulSC

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 23, 2012, 12:22:49 PMMartynov is new to me.
I was curious and found the following (might as well share it here):
QuoteYURY MARTYNOV (pianoforte) graduated from the Moscow Conservatory (piano and organ) with the Diploma of Excellence. He finished then a postgraduate class with Pr. Voskresensky to become assistant professor in 1994. In 1993 - 1994 he also studied harpsichord and basso continuo with Pr. Viunitsky in Paris at the Claude Debussy Conservatoire and the Conservatoire Nationale Jean-Wiener and graduated from both with a gold medal.
He won First Prizes at the most important international competitions: Maria Canals (Barcelona, 1991); Ennio Porrino (Cagliari, 1993); W.A. Mozart for pianoforte (Salzburg, 1999) and Second Prize at Concours Ville d'Epinal (1995).

Y. Martynov gives solo recitals and chamber concerts in Spain, Italy, Greece, Germany, France and Japan; takes part in major festivals in Russia and Europe such as: Festspiele Potsdam Sans-Souci, Athene Music Festival, Marathon Madrid and others. Apart from the Playel-Trio he performs with such musicians as Peter Schreier, Natalia Gutman, Alexander Rudin and also makes many radio and CD recordings. As a guest soloist he regularly appears with various orchestras. In 2002 he gave a unique recital with the Lithuanian Chamber Orchestra (conductor - Saulius Sondetzkis), performing concerts of G.F.Haendel, C.P.E.Bach and L.v.Beethoven on three different instruments (organ, harpsichord and modern piano) at one concert.

Y. Martynov is a professor for piano and historical fortepiano at the Moscow State Conservatory and is regularly invited to lead international master-classes.
http://www.playel-trio.narod.ru/musicians/
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

milk

Looking forward to spending some time with this:

Opus106

Quote from: milk on December 01, 2012, 05:46:16 AM

Thanks for reminding me. I have a full-length concert, still not listened to, from which, I think, those may have been taken. (Is that live from Schwetzingen, BTW?)
Regards,
Navneeth

Wakefield

Voilá!

http://www.youtube.com/v/l0aBhRxA9HA

Playlist:
__

Mozart: Freiburg Baroque Orchestra at the Schwetzingen festival

00:00 • Der Schauspieldirektor, KV. 486: Ouverture
06:00 • Piano concerto no. 17 in G major, KV. 453
35:37 • Idomeneo, KV 366: Musique de ballet

• Kristian Bezuidenhout: fortepiano

http://www.youtube.com/v/5aeLhUEfejg

Playlist:
__

Mozart: Freiburg Baroque Orchestra at the Schwetzingen festival

00:00 • Piano concerto no. 22 in E flat major, KV 482
00:00 • Encores

• Kristian Bezuidenhout: fortepiano

Freiburg Baroque Orchestra
Conducted by Petra Müllejans
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Leo K.

I've been enjoying this disk, new to my collection, "Mozart: Evening With Jacquins" with Gilles Thome:

There were two pieces that attracted me to this disk. First, the comedic scene "Liebes Mandel, wo is's Bandel" K. 441, and second, the basset horn concerto fragment K.621b, a fragment I've always wanted to hear, since first reading about it some twenty years ago.

The disk is a joy. I'm listening to the second disk first, for the fragment and K.441. The fragment is a fascinating look into Mozart's workshop, and played very well, with balance, transparency and lightness. The sound of the basset horn ravishing in tone and organic texture. What an interesting listen!

"Liebes Mandel, wo is's Bandel" trio  is one of my favorite Mozart works. It's such a focused microcosm of his operatic wit and style. For years, this is the record I knew this work from, a treasured record in my collection:

To my surprise and enjoyment, the Gilles Thome version equals the Seraphim LP account if not betters it. What a great thing it is to have this trio setting in better sound and released on a record once again!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on December 03, 2012, 02:48:54 PM
I've been enjoying this disk, new to my collection, "Mozart: Evening With Jacquins" with Gilles Thome:

There were two pieces that attracted me to this disk. First, the comedic scene "Liebes Mandel, wo is's Bandel" K. 441, and second, the basset horn concerto fragment K.621b, a fragment I've always wanted to hear, since first reading about it some twenty years ago.

The disk is a joy. I'm listening to the second disk first, for the fragment and K.441. The fragment is a fascinating look into Mozart's workshop, and played very well, with balance, transparency and lightness. The sound of the basset horn ravishing in tone and organic texture. What an interesting listen!

"Liebes Mandel, wo is's Bandel" trio  is one of my favorite Mozart works. It's such a focused microcosm of his operatic wit and style. For years, this is the record I knew this work from, a treasured record in my collection:

To my surprise and enjoyment, the Gilles Thome version equals the Seraphim LP account if not betters it. What a great thing it is to have this trio setting in better sound and released on a record once again!

Leo, those are among my very favorite disks!  I took a flyer on the 'Soiree' disk at BRO because it had the notturnos on it and I hadn't ever heard them. I got way more than I ever bargained for with the set though, so many very nice things and so well presented. One of the finest artistic efforts I ever ran across.

And the "Der Heitere Mozart" is one of my favorites too. I have a friend in Vienna who tells me that this is the preferred version of these songs because the 4 singers (excellent all!) clearly know the dialect and sound like Austrians (even though they aren't, I believe). Still, on the ones that appear on both, like "Bona nox" (bista recta ox! :D ) I like the Thome equally. These little songs humanize Mozart for me, and the full works on there make him, paradoxically, both accessible and unique. I need to go spin those rascals, it's been a while. :)

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 03, 2012, 05:04:41 PM
Leo, those are among my very favorite disks!  I took a flyer on the 'Soiree' disk at BRO because it had the notturnos on it and I hadn't ever heard them. I got way more than I ever bargained for with the set though, so many very nice things and so well presented. One of the finest artistic efforts I ever ran across.

And the "Der Heitere Mozart" is one of my favorites too. I have a friend in Vienna who tells me that this is the preferred version of these songs because the 4 singers (excellent all!) clearly know the dialect and sound like Austrians (even though they aren't, I believe). Still, on the ones that appear on both, like "Bona nox" (bista recta ox! :D ) I like the Thome equally. These little songs humanize Mozart for me, and the full works on there make him, paradoxically, both accessible and unique. I need to go spin those rascals, it's been a while. :)

8)

Gurn, how great you are a fan too! I'm surprised I hadn't heard of the Soirée disk till now, but so it goes! All this time a recording of the basset horn concerto fragment was out there :)

Leo K.

What an amazing disk! Only halfway through, but the sound of a Johann Zahler fortepiano is very interesting.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Opus106 on December 01, 2012, 05:52:05 AM
Thanks for reminding me. I have a full-length concert, still not listened to, from which, I think, those may have been taken. (Is that live from Schwetzingen, BTW?)

There is no information in the booklet about where and when these performances were recorded but they don't sound live. In the liner notes Bezuidenhout says "Early in the planning of the sessions, we decided that the microphone placement would be very different from the traditional set-ups." So, studio recordings made, I assume, shortly before or after the Schwetzingen concert. By the way, we live near Schwetzingen and have heard many concerts in the Schlosstheater (palace theater) adjacent to the palace. The palace, rococo theater and the grounds are beautiful. The small theater (seats between 450 and 550 depending on the type of performance) is perfect for Baroque and Classical-era music with small groups and chamber orchestras. At 6:16 in the second video you can see how small the stage is.

Here's a pic of the palace (the theater is to the far left, half hidden by the trees):

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 09, 2012, 03:23:21 AM
There is no information in the booklet about where and when these performances were recorded but they don't sound live.

There isn't?! Harmonia Mundi always includes that info... if it came in a 'digipak,' pull the booklet out of the case and look at the back cover.

kishnevi

The booklet says they were recorded in May 2012, in the Freiburg Ensemblehaus.

BTW,  this one (or at least my copy) is not a digipak, but a jewel case inside a slipcover.

Opus106

Thanks for the details, Sarge and Jeffrey. I realised yesterday that both sets couldn't have been from the same performance (at least large portions of it), since the Schwetzingen concert was conducted from the keyboard à la Mozart.
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 03, 2012, 05:04:41 PM

8)

Walter Berry very  much is Viennese through and through. Although real authenticity would mean a Salzburg accent, which is quite different... closer to southern Bavarian.
Had an LP of that as a kid (but no record player) - so my parents made me give it to Georg Ratzinger as a present (yes, the brother). Still remember all the bawdy stuff about digestion, though. And the 'donkey-like Martin' song.

Leo K.

Quote from: jlaurson on December 13, 2012, 10:32:04 AM
Walter Berry very  much is Viennese through and through. Although real authenticity would mean a Salzburg accent, which is quite different... closer to southern Bavarian.
Had an LP of that as a kid (but no record player) - so my parents made me give it to Georg Ratzinger as a present (yes, the brother). Still remember all the bawdy stuff about digestion, though. And the 'donkey-like Martin' song.

Wow, Georg Ratzinger got your copy of that lp as a gift? What a cool story.

I first heard this lp as a teenager in the 80s, and it was a revelation when considering the usual suspects in Mozart's catalogue. It was a new world for me. Great stuff  8)

Brahmsian

Does Mozart opera performance in HIP mean the tenor males get 'castratoed'?

Who's signing up?  :o