Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat B

Quote from: milk on October 15, 2013, 09:50:40 PM
Does anyone know the difference in the size of the various ensembles? Die Kölner Akademie, Cristofori, Anima, Freiburger, AAM - I'd love to know about the number of players used for the Mozart recordings. Are they all about the same? Or would they vary? I guess instrumentation is specified in the score so does that mean ensembles follow this and are similar in size?

The Anima Eterna string sections vary but are generally around 6-6-4-2-1.

milk

Quote from: Pat B on October 16, 2013, 09:05:53 AM
The Anima Eterna string sections vary but are generally around 6-6-4-2-1.
It's a shame there's no booklet with my Cristofori downloads. I began by disliking Schoonderwoerd's Mozart. Now I'm enjoying their "lighter" sound. It must be a smaller ensemble. I guess there's more to come. I remember the quite harsh disapproval of some for his treatment of Beethoven. I wonder if his critics feel the same about his Mozart. Not that it matters. I like it either way. But I learn something from these debates. Again, too bad we can't get a concerto cycle out of Bezuidenhout.

North Star

I like their Beethoven. Shame about the cadenzas, though - Beethoven wrote them later, and these discs try to emulate the premiere performances. The string section is crazy small, though, OVPP, in fact!! [1-1-2 (divided) - 2 (divided) - 1]. I would certainly like a slightly larger orchestra, but it's not bad at all. Some things - like staccati the 2nd mov. of the 4th PC - I almost can't stand hearing a big band play.
I have heard some of the Mozart, and it sounded excellent to me.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

milk

Quote from: North Star on October 17, 2013, 01:32:06 AM
I like their Beethoven. Shame about the cadenzas, though - Beethoven wrote them later, and these discs try to emulate the premiere performances. The string section is crazy small, though, OVPP, in fact!! [1-1-2 (divided) - 2 (divided) - 1]. I would certainly like a slightly larger orchestra, but it's not bad at all. Some things - like staccati the 2nd mov. of the 4th PC - I almost can't stand hearing a big band play.
I have heard some of the Mozart, and it sounded excellent to me.
Oh. That answers that question. I didn't understand about the cadenzas in the Beethoven. Now I see.

Octave

Has the following been reissued more recently than this (~1990)?

[asin]B00000E3QF[/asin]
Mozart: CLARINET/HORN QUINTETS + OBOE QUARTET (L'Oiseau Lyre/Decca)

Academy of Ancient Music Chamber Ensemble with:
Antony Pay, Basset Clarinet - Daniel Bangham and Edward Planes, Cambridge 1984
Stephen Hammer, Oboe - C.A. Grenser c.1780
Michael Thompson, Horn - Paxman 1982 (France, mid-18th century)
Monica Huggett, Violin - Rowland Ross 1986(Stradivarius)
Pavlo Beznosiuk, Violin - William Forster c.1785
Jan Schlapp, Viola - Antonius Bachmann, Berlin c.1756
Timothy Mason, Cello - William Foster c.1785
Katherine Hart, Viola - Tomaso Eberle 1774

(thanks to an Amazon reviewer for supplying the personnel)
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Octave on October 17, 2013, 06:09:50 AM
Has the following been reissued more recently than this (~1990)?

[asin]B00000E3QF[/asin]
Mozart: CLARINET/OBOE/HORN QUINTETS (L'Oiseau Lyre/Decca)

Academy of Ancient Music Chamber Ensemble with:
Antony Pay, Basset Clarinet - Daniel Bangham and Edward Planes, Cambridge 1984
Stephen Hammer, Oboe - C.A. Grenser c.1780
Michael Thompson, Horn - Paxman 1982 (France, mid-18th century)
Monica Huggett, Violin - Rowland Ross 1986(Stradivarius)
Pavlo Beznosiuk, Violin - William Forster c.1785
Jan Schlapp, Viola - Antonius Bachmann, Berlin c.1756
Timothy Mason, Cello - William Foster c.1785
Katherine Hart, Viola - Tomaso Eberle 1774

(thanks to an Amazon reviewer for supplying the personnel)

Yes, in a set with 2 other disks (IIRC) of the complete wind concertos. Probably otherwise too.

[asin]B00000JLF7[/asin]

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Octave

Thanks for that link, Gurn, though that OOP 3cd seems to be only concertos, not the quintets/quartet on the L'oiseau Lyre disc.  I did some more hunting and don't see any mention of a reissue. 
Antony Pay did another recording, albeit with ASMF players (included in the Philips Complete Mozart series/edition)....I am pretty sure that's all modern instruments. 

jlaurson

New release:

W.A.Mozart
Piano Sonatas K.330, 331, 545
Paul Badura Skoda
Gramola

(recorded in February of 2013 on a Anton Walter Fortepiano, c.1790)
German link - UK link
(Not in the US yet)

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jlaurson

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 22, 2013, 11:59:53 AM
Do you know if the idea is to do a full cycle?

Nope... but I can (will) ask.

milk

I'm really in love with what I've heard so far, which would be the first four sonatas. I almost feel like I'm listening to these works for the first time. Schoonderwoerd really knows what his instrument is about and he is absolutely at home with the music on the tangent piano (which he uses on these early sonatas). The music just flows effortlessly. I am curious to see what he'll do with later works on a different instrument.   

jlaurson

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 22, 2013, 11:59:53 AM
Quote from: jlaurson on October 22, 2013, 10:23:01 AM
New release:

W.A.Mozart
Piano Sonatas K.330, 331, 545
Paul Badura Skoda
Gramola

(recorded in February of 2013 on a Anton Walter Fortepiano, c.1790)
German link - UK link
(Not in the US yet)

It will not be a complete cycle... but this is one of three releases. What exactly that will entail I'm inquiring right now.

Edit: Badura was / is free to record whatever he wanted ...whatever he thought he could bring a new perspective to. More details of the new releases understandably only forthcoming when they're actually announced.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: milk on October 22, 2013, 09:23:51 PM

I'm really in love with what I've heard so far, which would be the first four sonatas. I almost feel like I'm listening to these works for the first time. Schoonderwoerd really knows what his instrument is about and he is absolutely at home with the music on the tangent piano (which he uses on these early sonatas). The music just flows effortlessly. I am curious to see what he'll do with later works on a different instrument.

Interesting, thanks for the info on this. I really like the tangent piano (Tangentenflügel) and don't hear a lot of Mozart on it. I have a superb disk of the violin sonatas in which the keyboardist uses one. It's one of my favorites, as this will probably be too. :)

8)

Leininger / Schau at Arkiv

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on October 23, 2013, 12:42:37 AM

It will not be a complete cycle... but this is one of three releases. What exactly that will entail I'm inquiring right now.

Edit: Badura was / is free to record whatever he wanted ...whatever he thought he could bring a new perspective to. More details of the new releases understandably only forthcoming when they're actually announced.

Is the recording he did a couple of years ago with  Demus of the two piano/piano four hands works in addition to those three, or included?

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 23, 2013, 07:24:40 AM
Is the recording he did a couple of years ago with  Demus of the two piano/piano four hands works in addition to those three, or included?

It's the above and two more... so the Demus collaboration makes it 4.

milk

It's that time again (for the last time - I think this completes the cycle):

Wakefield

Quote from: milk on January 10, 2014, 03:43:57 AM
It's that time again (for the last time - I think this completes the cycle):

Here Bezuidenhout speaks of "nine volumes in total":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmokIN4g1kA
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

milk

Quote from: Gordo on January 10, 2014, 04:03:15 AM
Here Bezuidenhout speaks of "nine volumes in total":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmokIN4g1kA
Nice interview. Really wonderful. I want to see more interviews like this from performers. Levin has a nice video on youtube as well. I enjoy so much getting a window into the music from the performer. I think it is especially helpful for people like me - people that don't read music.

I wonder what the deal is about the volumes? This is from the description on Arkivmusic, which I assume is a press release from HM:

"With this double set encompassing volumes five and six, fortepianist Kristian Bezuidenhout completes his multi-disc survey of Mozart's music for solo keyboard."

Octave

I'd been meaning to ask about this for a while, and recent mention of the set reminded me.

Is there any substantial difference between these two issues of this complete Mozart keyboard music set by Bart van Oort?

It looks like maybe only the second edition contains the CD-ROM with extensive notes by Van Oort.  Maybe these notes are contained in a booklet in the first edition?

In case anyone would like to read a review from elsewhere, I've run across one by Graham Lock reproduced as a PDF on Van Oort's own website:
http://www.bartvanoort.nl/bart-van-oort/_documents/website/recencies/1109-International-piano-Mozart-Box.pdf
(I can't help but think there might be a more expert and extensive review elsewhere.  The review author is one Graham Lock; I wonder if he's the same guy whose book on Anthony Braxton had such an impact on me when I was a kid.)

mark7

I am new to this forum, so I don't know whether this has already been answered (a search of this thread didn't yield an answer): is there a set of all Mozart string quartets as HIPs? Or if not, are there multiple sets covering all the string quartets that complement each other? Also, same thing with violin concertos. Thank you.