Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mark7 on April 30, 2014, 02:54:38 PM
I am new to this forum, so I don't know whether this has already been answered (a search of this thread didn't yield an answer): is there a set of all Mozart string quartets as HIPs? Or if not, are there multiple sets covering all the string quartets that complement each other? Also, same thing with violin concertos. Thank you.

Welcome, and pleased to see your interest in PI performance. We always need another PIon!.

Violin concertos is an easy yes.

[asin]B0000042HR[/asin]
or
[asin]B00000J2Q2[/asin]

are a couple of my favorites.

String quartets are a whole different matter. The Last 10 are gettable, it takes some doing but you can find the Mosaiques, the Festetics, the Smithson's and the Salomon's and a few others here and there and easily piece them together. The first 13 are a different deal. I have heard rumors that they have been done, but if you pressed me hard I couldn't come up with anything. I have them by the Talich Quartet, they decidedly don't play on gut! They are really quite good though, and in lieu of a real HIP/PI set I am happy for now. Of course, I have only been looking for 18 years so far, so I've only just begun, really.... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

The concise answer is NO.  The PI recordings of the later quartets have mostly gone out of print, and the early ones I don't think have even been recorded by such ensembles.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on May 01, 2014, 06:21:41 AM
The concise answer is NO.  The PI recordings of the later quartets have mostly gone out of print, and the early ones I don't think have even been recorded by such ensembles.

Actually, the Festetics recorded the early ones, but if you can find them you will have outstripped me by a mile!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

You'd have to get up pretty early in the morning . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2014, 06:43:15 AM
You'd have to get up pretty early in the morning . . . .

What I'm talkin' about!  :D

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 01, 2014, 06:31:13 AM
Actually, the Festetics recorded the early ones, but if you can find them you will have outstripped me by a mile!  :)

8)

I stand corrected!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on May 02, 2014, 04:57:48 AM
I stand corrected!

Well, they've been OOP for about 20 years or more, I don't even know what label, although I expect it is HM since they did the first Haydn's for HM. I would love to find a set. :)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2014, 05:35:10 AM
Well, they've been OOP for about 20 years or more, I don't even know what label, although I expect it is HM since they did the first Haydn's for HM. I would love to find a set. :)

8)

Label is Hungaroton. There is one used copy on offer from a seller in Germany:

http://www.amazon.de/Streichquartette-Nr-1-13-Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart/dp/B000050QJK/ref=sr_1_16?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1399037975&sr=1-16&keywords=Festetics+Mozart

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2014, 05:52:50 AM
Cool. Love to have it on my shelf. I can't tell whether they ship to the States or not. :-\

8)

I think they do. When you click on the details of the seller, they list a Weltweit (world wide) shipping cost of Euro14 for music. So it would cost a bit over 50 Euro for 3 CDs.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mark7

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 30, 2014, 04:19:14 PM
Welcome, and pleased to see your interest in PI performance. We always need another PIon!.

Violin concertos is an easy yes.

[...]

String quartets are a whole different matter. The Last 10 are gettable, it takes some doing but you can find the Mosaiques, the Festetics, the Smithson's and the Salomon's and a few others here and there and easily piece them together. The first 13 are a different deal. I have heard rumors that they have been done, but if you pressed me hard I couldn't come up with anything. I have them by the Talich Quartet, they decidedly don't play on gut! They are really quite good though, and in lieu of a real HIP/PI set I am happy for now. Of course, I have only been looking for 18 years so far, so I've only just begun, really.... :)

8)

Thank you for your suggestions and answer. I think I will get the Mosaiques of the last 10 quartets, and complete the cycle with Hagen Quartet recordings of the Viennese and Milanese quartets. Seems like the best overall option/compromise.

Oh yes, what about serenades?

DavidW

Quote from: mark7 on May 02, 2014, 08:13:59 AM
I think I will get the Mosaiques of the last 10 quartets, and complete the cycle with Hagen Quartet recordings of the Viennese and Milanese quartets.

How are you going to do that?  They are OOP.  If you have a source please tell me so that I can buy them.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on May 02, 2014, 09:27:23 AM
How are you going to do that?  They are OOP.  If you have a source please tell me so that I can buy them.

I filled mine out on eBay, I had 3 of the 5 disks. Only hope, unless you know someone who just died and had your taste in music. :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mark7 on May 02, 2014, 08:13:59 AM
Oh yes, what about serenades?

The orchestral ones? Now you're talking really hard!  Wait until I get hoe from work and I'll post something tonight when I can look at what I have. I don't have them all HIP/PI, I don't know that anyone does. :-\

8)

San Antone

A somewhat recent recording that may be new to some folks here:

Windemere String Quartet (on period instruments): The Golden Age of String Quartets. Pipistrelle Music, 2012.

Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven quartets played on period instruments.  I can't comment on the performances since i have not heard this recording.

ArkivMusic has the Mosaiques Mozart, in one format or another.

Mozart: String Quartets K. 387, K. 421 / Smithson Quartet (Arkiv)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on May 02, 2014, 10:28:32 AM
A somewhat recent recording that may be new to some folks here:

Windemere String Quartet (on period instruments): The Golden Age of String Quartets. Pipistrelle Music, 2012.

Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven quartets played on period instruments.  I can't comment on the performances since i have not heard this recording.

ArkivMusic has the Mosaiques Mozart, in one format or another.

Mozart: String Quartets K. 387, K. 421 / Smithson Quartet (Arkiv)

The Windermere looks interesting. Thanks.

I have that Smithson disk, it is very nice! I ended up getting that Virgin box of 5 or 6 disks of Mozart chamber music, which has all 6 of their Haydn Quartets on it. Still have that original though!  :)

8)

San Antone

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2014, 10:45:39 AM
The Windermere looks interesting. Thanks.

I have that Smithson disk, it is very nice! I ended up getting that Virgin box of 5 or 6 disks of Mozart chamber music, which has all 6 of their Haydn Quartets on it. Still have that original though!  :)

8)

I also have that boxset - and like it a lot.

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2014, 10:06:16 AM
The orchestral ones? Now you're talking really hard!  Wait until I get hoe from work and I'll post something tonight when I can look at what I have. I don't have them all HIP/PI, I don't know that anyone does. :-\

8)
Also not at home but the Tafelmusik box has at least some, as does the Hogwood AAM.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 02, 2014, 11:02:35 AM
Also not at home but the Tafelmusik box has at least some, as does the Hogwood AAM.

Yes, but no. I also have both of those. They are the reductions of the serenades down to being a symphony, which is accomplished by removing the 'concertante' parts and one of the minuets. The full-blown 7 or 8 movement orchestral serenades are thin on the ground in the PI world. Not non-existent, however... :)

8)

Ken B

Any recommendations on K452, the piano and wind quintet?
Time to upgrade my collection on this puppy.