Mozart in Period Performances (HIP)

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 10:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. String

In Haydn Mosaiques' were dominated by the first violin and then a bit cello(solo-plus-ripieno effect) and Festetics' were all 4 instruments matched recording. I wonder that's the same for their Mozart sets.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: G. String on May 03, 2014, 05:05:38 AM
In Haydn Mosaiques' were dominated by the first violin and then a bit cello(solo-plus-ripieno effect) and Festetics' were all 4 instruments matched recording. I wonder that's the same for their Mozart sets.

I own all the Mosaïques's Haydn and all but one disc of their Mozart. I don't feel the first violin is overbearing in any way - either in Haydn or Mozart.

I like the way the separation in the Mosaïques gives a sense of hearing each individual line but at the same time ensemble blend and warmth are never sacrificed. Right in my target range for maximum enjoyment. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Ken B

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 03, 2014, 05:26:06 AM
I own all the Mosaïques's Haydn and all but one disc of their Mozart. I don't feel the first violin is overbearing in any way - either in Haydn or Mozart.

I like the way the separation in the Mosaïques gives a sense of hearing each individual line but at the same time ensemble blend and warmth is never sacrificed. Right in my target range for maximum enjoyment. :)
Agreed. The Mosaiques are as close to perfect in Haydn as I have heard. I covet their Mozart.

G. String

;D It's not an opinion or an idea that you can feel or can't feel or agree or disagree :). It's how it was recorded...a technical fact...and it is NOT a negative thing, it means they were recorded in different ways

DavidW

G. String you are an error, the first violin does not dominate.  Not in how it was recorded, not in how they perform together.

Pat B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2014, 10:45:39 AM
The Windermere looks interesting. Thanks.

I have that Smithson disk, it is very nice! I ended up getting that Virgin box of 5 or 6 disks of Mozart chamber music, which has all 6 of their Haydn Quartets on it. Still have that original though!  :)

Thanks to sanantonio for the Windermere mention. I added it to my survey of Beethoven SQs on PI, but I didn't bump that thread since op.18#4 was already relatively well-represented.

The Smithson Mozart 5-disc set still shows up at Berkshire for $20. It includes all 6 "Haydn" quartets, 2 string quintets, the K.563 trio, and the oboe quartet. I like the performances, so this was a bargain for me.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Ken B on May 02, 2014, 07:06:07 PM
Any recommendations on K452, the piano and wind quintet?
Time to upgrade my collection on this puppy.

If it doesn't have to be HIP then I enjoy this one:

[asin]B0000U1NKG[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 05, 2014, 11:21:26 AM
If it doesn't have to be HIP then I enjoy this one:

[asin]B0000U1NKG[/asin]

And if it does (in a PI thread, you would figure it would!) then try this one:

[asin]B00004Y6N0[/asin]

Which is pretty fine. All top players, and they make a good team. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 05, 2014, 11:39:21 AM
And if it does (in a PI thread, you would figure it would!)....

I woulda figured the same. But after three days with no replies the free-for-all is on! ;)

Ken B

[asin]B00004Y6N0[/asin]

8)
Thanks to both. I am looking PI but will add the other to my mental list.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 05, 2014, 12:19:28 PM
I woulda figured the same. But after three days with no replies the free-for-all is on! ;)

I was working on my blog, attention diverted (sans dancing though). :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dancing Divertimentian

Que

[asin]B00004Y6N0[/asin]

8)

+ 1 Absolutely great recording. And I must have heard most period recordings, but this one trumps them all.  8)

Thanks again,  Gurn! :)

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on May 05, 2014, 01:38:26 PM
+ 1 Absolutely great recording. And I must have heard most period recordings, but this one trumps them all.  8)

Thanks again,  Gurn! :)

Q

Yup, it's a peach. One thing I like about DD's rec though, I think it is the first recording I've seen that wasn't coupled with the Beethoven. I like both works, but geez... :\

8)

Pat B

Whoops! I misread the question.

I like that Helicon Winds disc, and it too is available from Berkshire.

There is an AAM disc that adds the Beethoven Horn Sonata, but it is pricier. I remember liking it:
[asin]B00000JLFD[/asin]

The other one I've heard is by Cambini Winds with Penelope Crawford on Musica Omnia. Somebody here recommended it, but it struck me as a bit polite.

There is also one by Octophoros with Immerseel on Accent. I haven't heard it other than samples.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pat B on May 05, 2014, 04:15:50 PM
Whoops! I misread the question.

I like that Helicon Winds disc, and it too is available from Berkshire.

There is an AAM disc that adds the Beethoven Horn Sonata, but it is pricier. I remember liking it:
[asin]B00000JLFD[/asin]

The other one I've heard is by Cambini Winds with Penelope Crawford on Musica Omnia. Somebody here recommended it, but it struck me as a bit polite.

There is also one by Octophoros with Immerseel on Accent. I haven't heard it other than samples.

I like that Levin /AAM disk too. I recall it being very hard to find at the time, although I understand it has since been re-released. Quite commendable. Don't know the other, though.  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pat B on May 05, 2014, 09:08:43 AM
Thanks to sanantonio for the Windermere mention. I added it to my survey of Beethoven SQs on PI, but I didn't bump that thread since op.18#4 was already relatively well-represented.

The Smithson Mozart 5-disc set still shows up at Berkshire for $20. It includes all 6 "Haydn" quartets, 2 string quintets, the K.563 trio, and the oboe quartet. I like the performances, so this was a bargain for me.

Yes, I think I paid even less than that during a sale they had at Amazon, amazingly enough (if you didn't know they had sales, well, there you go!). It is an excellent box, well worth looking for if you have to look at all. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Orchestral serenades, PI:

[asin] B0000CG3H4[/asin]

[asin]B00000E2RB[/asin]

[asin]B00000IP77[/asin]

[asin]B000SQJ2EQ[/asin]

So, depending on what you call a serenade, this is about the crop. Of course, there are some superb other disks, containing such works as the 3 'Salzburg Symphonies', and any number of 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik' disks, some of which are coupled with Serenata notturna and others, but for the big orchestral serenades, this is about it. At least it is a good starting point. If you can grab these, you can then evaluate where you are and have a narrower field to search through. :)

8)

The new erato

he Higwood discs wil in all proability turn up in the promised future L'Oiseau-Lyre Classical box. Provided they avoid Hogwood's Haynd symphonies that already are in another box, I will buy it.