n-word Posts

Started by EigenUser, May 09, 2014, 07:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

I suppose I should clarify, just in case the topic title appears to be racist (although I laughed at the Debussy post ;D). I was poking fun at the one-word, two-word, and three-word post threads. In math if you talk about, for instance, dimensions, then you can have one-dimension, two-dimensions, three-dimensions, and so on (up to infinity). For a more general discussion on dimensions, mathematicians will usually refer to "n-dimensions" (where "n" is 1, 2 ,3, 4, etc. -- i.e. a positive integer). Ken has a background in mathematics so I knew he'd appreciate this. I studied engineering in college, so I have a (lesser ;)) background in mathematics as well (hence my username "EigenUser" -- referring to eigenvalues, eigenvectors, eigenspaces, eigenfunctions, eigenconditions, etc. -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenvalues_and_eigenvectors).

Essentially, it's a joke.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

bwv 1080

All those German words - are you saying you're a nazi too?

Just kidding, I got the math reference OP title

Perhaps it should have been called 'X-word Posts' then could have got some titillation on top of the math humor ;)

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on May 10, 2014, 05:10:23 AM
yo, banana boy!
You talkin to me? You talkin to me? I don't see anyone else you can be talkin to. You talkin to me?

The Six

Florestan

Quote from: EigenUser on May 10, 2014, 06:25:02 AM
Essentially, it's a joke.

Well, I studied engineering too so I got your joke, but... it could also be taken seriously: since all posts ever written on GMG fall under this label, why not lumping them together in one single thread, namely this one? 
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

EigenUser

Quote from: Florestan on May 12, 2014, 02:11:21 AM
Well, I studied engineering too so I got your joke, but... it could also be taken seriously: since all posts ever written on GMG fall under this label, why not lumping them together in one single thread, namely this one?
:laugh: Good idea. And +1 for studying engineering!

Well, we might have to admit some of the more eccentric posts to the field of complex numbers 8).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

snyprrr

Quote from: Daverz on May 09, 2014, 04:39:21 PM
Oh...I thought snyppy was being a bad boy again.

I was over at a family friend's- they can verify my presence! I'm like Schultz- I know nothing! whaaa?

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 12, 2014, 05:46:36 AM
:laugh: Good idea. And +1 for studying engineering!
Indeed. If you aren't quite tough enough for pure math ...
>:D >:D >:D ;D :o 8) ??? >:D :-* :P >:D :laugh:

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on May 12, 2014, 09:14:33 AM
...or practical enough to build cool things...  >:D >:D >:D

Pure math is interesting, but not for me. Totally different than applied math, although they crossover several times (especially in the areas of analysis and also combinatorics).

bwv 1080

Quote from: Ken B on May 12, 2014, 09:14:33 AM

at least engineering is more than just a giant set of tautologies

EigenUser

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 12, 2014, 12:57:53 PM
at least engineering is more than just a giant set of tautologies
The first rule of the tautology club is the first rule of the tautology club!

bwv 1080

Quote from: EigenUser on May 12, 2014, 01:14:13 PM

;D

EigenUser

Since this seems to be becoming the GMG math club thread, I'll post a link to this:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23185.msg800827.html#msg800827

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 12, 2014, 01:24:35 PM
Since this seems to be becoming the GMG math club thread, I'll post a link to this:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23185.msg800827.html#msg800827
It's alright guys, I understand the engineer's need to compensate, I really do.
>:D :laugh:

Actually it was the impracticality of math that eventually drove me to abandon ship for CS. So I think of myself as a softwware engineer. I am actually immensely practical. Took me a while to learn that though.

But I need to be able to give Nate the gears!  ;)

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on May 12, 2014, 02:05:24 PM
It's alright guys, I understand the engineer's need to compensate, I really do.
>:D :laugh:

Actually it was the impracticality of math that eventually drove me to abandon ship for CS. So I think of myself as a softwware engineer. I am actually immensely practical. Took me a while to learn that though.

But I need to be able to give Nate the gears!  ;)
I actually think that I might be worse at CS than theoretical math, and that says a lot because I can hardly construct even the simplest proofs. To me, the two are very similar (probably why I'm bad at both of them) so I can see why you went to CS. Both are very logic-oriented. I suppose that I'm practical, but not logical :laugh:.

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on May 12, 2014, 01:14:13 PM
I'd like to join the club if I'd like to join the club.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

I fear that the Debussy poll is getting derailed by my post (well, it is my thread to derail ;)).
I won't ask if you have read Div, grad, curl.
Here is the sequel. You'll thank me later. http://www.amazon.com/Geometrical-Vectors-Chicago-Lectures-Physics/dp/0226890481/ref=cm_cr-mr-title
YES! I have that book "Div, Grad, Curl, and All That". Great little book! Fun, even. It almost reads like a novel. I used this book for the class, written by the professor:
[asin]0133214311[/asin]
The idea of a professor using their own textbook sounds like a pretentious move, but Dr. Greenberg is seriously one of the kindest and most patient professors I've ever had. I had the chance to take two of his classes and I was his TA for a couple of years. He was also a classical music lover (big RVW fan), so whenever I went to pick-up homework to grade we'd usually end up talking for a half-hour in his office, which was awesome.

Of course, I highly recommend the book if you are ever looking for a good refresher on anything from ODEs, linear algebra, and field theory all the way well into PDEs, Bessel functions, and basic complex variables. Of course, at 1300+ pages, it is more of a brick than a book. The flow of the book from one topic to the next is amazing. He reconciles topics that seem so distant from each other.

Quote from: North Star on May 12, 2014, 03:34:13 PM
I'd like to join the club if I'd like to join the club.
You are already a member if you are already a member.

Florestan

The difference between engineers and mathematicians can be highlighted by asking them to solve 2 problems.

Problem #1. You have at your disposal a source of water, a pot and an electric stove. What do you do obtain boiling water?

Both the engineer and the mathematician answer the same: fill the pot with water, light up the stove, place the pot on it and wait until boiling.

Problem #2.You have at your disposal a source of water, a pot full of water and an electric stove. What do you do to obtain boiling water?

The engineer answers: light up the stove, place the pot on it and wait until boiling.

The mathematician answers: empty the pot and we have got the data of the preceding problem, which is already solved.

;D ;D ;D

EigenUser

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2014, 12:19:45 AM
The difference between engineers and mathematicians can be highlighted by asking them to solve 2 problems.

Problem #1. You have at your disposal a source of water, a pot and an electric stove. What do you do obtain boiling water?

Both the engineer and the mathematician answer the same: fill the pot with water, light up the stove, place the pot on it and wait until boiling.

Problem #2.You have at your disposal a source of water, a pot full of water and an electric stove. What do you do to obtain boiling water?

The engineer answers: light up the stove, place the pot on it and wait until boiling.

The mathematician answers: empty the pot and we have got the data of the preceding problem, which is already solved.

;D ;D ;D
:laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: EigenUser on May 13, 2014, 04:20:23 AM
:laugh:

I have one about engineers and economists, too, but it's even tougher and I don't want to offend any economist here, if any.  :D