Most expensive disc

Started by G. String, May 11, 2014, 02:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. String

What is your most expensive disc? One in monetary value, the highest you've spent per disc, and one with intangible value, most loved, meaningful, irreplaceable for any personal reason, etc, your greatest single disc?

EigenUser

Quote from: James on May 11, 2014, 04:01:28 AM
The large Stockhausen-Verlag section (ca. spanning 4 feet of shelf space) of my library was pretty pricey, and it is something that I cherish and return to regularly, especially within the last 6 years or so (LOTS of repeat listening value).

And I plan on getting a Bach Complete Cantatas box soon as well, it will be pricey, but so worth it and valued.

Stockhausen is expensive! That's why we have YouTube :) (of course, not the same quality).

I don't really have any expensive disks. My most cherished musical item is the enormous conductor's score to Ligeti's "Clocks and Clouds". Not an answer to the question, I know, but that is something that is irreplaceable for me.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

ritter

The most expensive disc I've ever bought is this:

I missed it when it first came out (I actually recall seeing it at Chicago's Rose Records in the late 80s, and skipped it, silly me  :( ), and saw a new copy here in Madrid a year ago. Paid a little fortune for it...and it really wasn't worth it, IMHO.  ::)

CDs I cherish: the Boulez Bayreuth Ring on Philips (as a memento of performances I was lucky enough to attend as a very young man during the 1979 festival  :)), the Boulez Les Noces on Adès (scarcity value there  8)), the Böhm Marriage of Figaro on DG (nostalgia?  :-\ ), Abbado's Mahler Fourth with the WP and Frederica von Stade (probably my single favourite Mahler performance), and..and...and... ;)

And yes, the Stockhausen Verlag CDs are pricey  >:(...in my case, every order to them has to be pondered, as there have been some releases that, with the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't have paid 23 € for.. ::)  (others, of course, are definiety worth every cent)...

Jay F

I'm not sure I have any. I would if I'd kept every CD I'd ever owned, but I didn't.

I've sold copies of HvK's original CD release of Mahler's Fourth for ~$70. Its price fluctuates, so I'll occasionally buy a cheap "Like New" copy and sell it when the price goes up. It's my favorite M4, btw.

I sold Mengelberg's M4 a couple of weeks ago for $75, the one Philips released in the '80s that had the red tray. I don't think I played it more than once, so when I saw what it was going for on eBay or Amazon, I listed it. It sold in a couple of days.

The new erato

For most of us the most expensive disc probably was the first one, the one that got us started on this pursuit. For me it was a LP with Bruckners 4th under Jochum on DG.

ritter

Quote from: The new erato on May 11, 2014, 08:23:22 AM
For most of us the most expensive disc probably was the first one, the one that got us started on this pursuit....
Very true!!!!  :D :D Mine was Karajan's Rheingold on DG (LP as well)...Boy, I didn't have a clue of what I was getting in to  ::)

Jay F

Quote from: The new erato on May 11, 2014, 08:23:22 AM
For most of us the most expensive disc probably was the first one, the one that got us started on this pursuit. For me it was a LP with Bruckners 4th under Jochum on DG.

Quote from: ritter on May 11, 2014, 08:46:12 AM
Very true!!!!  :D :D Mine was Karajan's Rheingold on DG (LP as well...Boy, I didn't have a clue of what I was getting in to  ::)

If you want to start a thread called "My First Classical Disc," go ahead. That's not what this thread is about.

North Star

This is probably the most expensive one, at 19 €

Impossible to narrow it down to one in other categories.

Quote from: Jay F on May 11, 2014, 09:10:29 AM
If you want to start a thread called "My First Classical Disc," go ahead. That's not what this thread is about.
That one exists already, I think.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

This one for $21 in 2007. This was before I instituted my rule limiting disc purchases to $20 max for an individual disc.. I am not sure why I paid so much, but it is a good disc. Since then, I have reduced my per disc expense (all in) from $9.5 or so to under $7.
[asin]B0000045ZK[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Todd

I spend around $25-$30/disc for various Japanese market CDs from time-to-time.  LvB cycles from Nakamichi, Sako, Nodaira, and PBS (JVC/Astree) fall in that category, as do various Japanese market discs of Eric Heidsieck playing various repertoire. 

I have a few discs that are currently irreplaceable because they are out of print, and my Moravec/Vlach Mozart PC disc is signed by Ivan Moravec, so it is irreplaceable for that reason, but I cannot say that I have any special emotional attachment to aluminum and polycarbonate discs, per se.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sammy

My most expensive was a 2-cd set of Bach's WTC I performed by some obscure keyboardist from his own website - price was about $45.  Naturally, the performances were nothing memorable.  I learned from that one.

Bogey

This one, and mine happens to be still sealed, like the one below that went for $160:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

ritter

Quote from: Jay F on May 11, 2014, 08:04:15 AM
I've sold copies of HvK's original CD release of Mahler's Fourth for ~$70. Its price fluctuates, so I'll occasionally buy a cheap "Like New" copy and sell it when the price goes up. It's my favorite M4, btw.

I sold Mengelberg's M4 a couple of weeks ago for $75, the one Philips released in the '80s that had the red tray. I don't think I played it more than once, so when I saw what it was going for on eBay or Amazon, I listed it. It sold in a couple of days.

Quote from: Jay F on May 11, 2014, 09:10:29 AM

Well, this thread certainly doesn't seem to be about market-making in Mahler Fourth CDs either, so there you go...

Cheers,

snyprrr

$60 for Maderna Oboe Concertos on Philips, Used. One CD

$40 for a Box for only one 12 minute piece

Some people are changing thousands on amazon for single cds.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on May 12, 2014, 08:29:59 AM

Some people are changing thousands on amazon for single cds.

Yeah and only a fool would pay that much for a recording.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2014, 08:39:10 AM
Yeah and only a fool would pay that much for a recording.

Grateful Dead... Fillmore... Second Show... Duuude :laugh:

71 dB

I paid 23 euros for this Taneyev disc some 8 years ago. Now I coud buy one for about 10 euros delivered.  :P

[asin]B0000245F1[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

stingo

Das Angenehme Pleiß-Athen (can anyone translate that?) - a compilation of works of Bach, Telemann, Scholze etc from the Bach Museum in Leipzig. I'd heard the trio in concert live (tenor, viola da gamba, harpsichord) and picked up the disc as a souvenir. I am halfway tempted to say the harpsichordist was Christine Schornsheim both in concert and on disc.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: stingo on May 13, 2014, 05:07:01 AM
Das Angenehme Pleiß-Athen (can anyone translate that?)

Pleiß-Athen is a poetic nickname for Leipzig, coined in the 17th century, I think, and meant to compare the city's cultural achievements to Athens. Die Pleiße is the name of a river. Angenehme means pleasant or agreeable. Other German cities did the same thing, combining a local river with the Greek city: Spree-Athen is Berlin. Saal-Athen is Jena.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

Quote from: stingo on May 13, 2014, 05:07:01 AM
Das Angenehme Pleiß-Athen (can anyone translate that?) - a compilation of works of Bach, Telemann, Scholze etc from the Bach Museum in Leipzig. I'd heard the trio in concert live (tenor, viola da gamba, harpsichord) and picked up the disc as a souvenir. I am halfway tempted to say the harpsichordist was Christine Schornsheim both in concert and on disc.

Many thanks to Sarge: Also, "Pleiss" is not native to German, but comes from "Sorbian" (with an "o") meaning "pond" or even "swamp."

Sorbian is a Western Slavic language.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)