Graupner's Graceful Gravity [1683-1760]

Started by Moonfish, May 14, 2014, 11:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Having become fascinated with Graupner I discovered that GMG was lacking a thread for this eminent Baroque composer. His music seems to be moving to a rediscovery with an increasing number of recordings over the last ten years. What are your impressions and experiences with Graupner's music? Recommended recordings? Why do you think his music was virtually forgotten for so many years?

"Christoph Graupner (January 13, 1683 in Kirchberg – May 10, 1760 in Darmstadt) was a German harpsichordist and composer of high Baroque music who lived and worked at the same time as Johann Sebastian Bach, Georg Philipp Telemann and George Frideric Handel."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Graupner

Works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Graupner#Works

The Graupner 2010 Project:
http://www.graupner-digital.org/
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Graupner: Himmlische Stunden, Selige Zeiten (Cantatas)     Feuersinger/Capricornus Consort Basel

I listened to this yesterday and I was literally floored by the beauty of Feuersinger's voice and the ensemble's fiery energy embracing and supporting her. To me this has also been the gateway to Graupner's works. The recording is simply beautiful so I cannot recommend it highly enough to any GMG member that is fond of the Baroque era. Without hesitation I would choose this recording as my top single cd purchase/listen so far this year. Wonderful music!

https://play.spotify.com/album/5OoLyfUABIN40wvMHklTIo

[asin] B00H3O2B8A[/asin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWXEELLqw4
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SonicMan46

Hi Moonfish - thought that I'd join your new thread - one of my many introductions to Graupner was some of his wind music, especially w/ the chalumeaux (precursor of the clarinet) - below is a post left in a previous thread - the added images are of several of the dozen+ CDs that I own of this composer - enjoy both tremendously (believe you asked this question in the 'listening thread') - Dave :)

QuoteYesterday, I left the post quoted below in the 'listening thread', soon to disappear;  both of these are excellent Graupner recordings but the use of the chalumeaux on the one disc stimulated my interest.

The Baroque chalumeau (pic below of a 'family' of these instruments) as quoted in part in a Wiki article: "In the late seventeenth century an improved form of the chalumeau was developed. This baroque chalumeau represents the link between the recorder and the clarinet, and is essentially a cylindrical bore recorder with a mouthpiece like that of a clarinet and two additional "throat" keys controlling notes at the top of the fundamental register. The chalumeau continued to develop for several decades alongside the clarinet, and it has a large repertoire in 18th century orchestral and chamber music."

Jean-Claude Veilhan, one of three performers on these instruments in this recording, has a full page description of the history of the chalumeau, the key differences, and replacement of the single-reed version by the clarinet; he uses a soprano, alto, & tenor instrument in these performances which are copies after Denner ca. 1700 made by Andreas Schöni.  :)

Moonfish

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 14, 2014, 05:44:59 PM
Hi Moonfish - thought that I'd join your new thread - one of my many introductions to Graupner was some of his wind music, especially w/ the chalumeaux (precursor of the clarinet) - below is a post left in a previous thread - the added images are of several of the dozen+ CDs that I own of this composer - enjoy both tremendously (believe you asked this question in the 'listening thread') - Dave :)

Wonderful! I usually don't start threads (at least not so far), but I really wanted to get more of a fire burning for Graupner. The collective knowledge of GMG is a great resource as one try to dig deeper into an era or a composer. Thanks for those two recommendations. After listening to a few of the samples they come across as definite new additions to my small Graupner collection. Looking forward to hearing them in full.  Thanks for the recommendations Dave!

Peter
Anna Lappé

SonicMan46

Graupner wrote so much (typical of Baroque composers) that I need to track what I now own (have my 15/16th CDs just ordered from Amazon), so opened a Google Drive document to list the works of his that I do have so as to not do much duplicating (have similar docs for a handful of other composers, such as Telemann & Vivaldi).

Graupner-Werke-Verzeichnis (GWV) - catalog of his works which are divided as shown below - the approximate number of works in each sub-category are shown w/ a link to the list the these works, for those interested - Dave :)

Instrumental Works
  Keyboard Works (GWV 101-150) - well over 200 (including a LOT in the GWV 700s/800s) - LIST
  Chamber Music (GWV 201-219) - nearly 40 (including many in the GWV 700s) - LIST
  Concertos (GWV 301-344) - nearly 50 (including several in the GWV 700s) - LIST
  Overtures (GWV 401-485) - nearly 100 works - LIST
  Symphonies (GWV 501-612) - over 100 - LIST

Vocal Works
  Sacred Works (GWV 1101/12-1177) - over 1400 cantatas (those GWV numbers have sub-numbers) - LIST
  Secular Works (GWV 1200) - Operas et al

Miscellaneous Works
  Incerta (GWV 701-730)
  Anonyma (GWV 801-857)
  Several Other Categories

71 dB

I found Graupner some 15 years ago. They played Fasch on radio and bought some Fasch (another wonderful composer). One of the CDs had also works by Graupner (Concertos for bassoon and orchestra/Capella Savaria/Pál Németh). A while ago I realised I have just a few discs of Graupner (my Fasch collection is larger) and I want more.  :P

Why Graupner was forgotten? I remember reading something about that. Graupner's works were not published or something like that.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

HIPster

Nice thread, Moonfish! 

Thanks for starting it.

Graupner is a composer that I am not familiar with at all and I appreciate the recommendations listed.

I've added the Feuersinger/Capricornus Consort Basel disc that you recommended to my ever-expanding wish list. . .   :)

Hope to hear it soon!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on May 15, 2014, 10:57:32 AM
I found Graupner some 15 years ago. They played Fasch on radio and bought some Fasch (another wonderful composer). One of the CDs had also works by Graupner (Concertos for bassoon and orchestra/Capella Savaria/Pál Németh). A while ago I realised I have just a few discs of Graupner (my Fasch collection is larger) and I want more.  :P

Why Graupner was forgotten? I remember reading something about that. Graupner's works were not published or something like that.

Hi Poju - well, Graupner was a humble man apparently and wanted all pictures of himself and his manuscripts destroyed upon his death (1760) - nice summary quoted below by Geneviève Soly - until that dispute was resolved, his works remained unpublished and were by then 'out of style' - seems to have taken over a 150 years before an interest in this forgotten Baroque composer resurfaced.

Also from the Wiki article quoted earlier, "Another factor that contributed to Graupner's posthumous obscurity was that, unlike Bach, Graupner had very few pupils other than Johann Friedrich Fasch to carry on his musical legacy."  Dave :)

QuoteGraupner was a man of such humility that he requested all his music be destroyed by fire after his death. The inevitable legal fight that ensued, placing in opposition his heirs and the court at Darmstadt, was resolved in 1819 when the court was declared sole proprietor of the composer's works. Thus Graupner's manuscripts and autographs remained at the castle in Darmstadt and are now the property of the Hessische Landes und Hochschulbibliothek at the town's university.

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 16, 2014, 08:01:33 AM
Hi Poju - well, Graupner was a humble man apparently and wanted all pictures of himself and his manuscripts destroyed upon his death (1760) - nice summary quoted below by Geneviève Soly - until that dispute was resolved, his works remained unpublished and were by then 'out of style' - seems to have taken over a 150 years before an interest in this forgotten Baroque composer resurfaced.

Also from the Wiki article quoted earlier, "Another factor that contributed to Graupner's posthumous obscurity was that, unlike Bach, Graupner had very few pupils other than Johann Friedrich Fasch to carry on his musical legacy."  Dave :)

Thanks Dave for this info.

In my opinion it's arrogant to deny the future generations the access to your art. In my opinion a humble person lets the future generations judge whether your art has any value or not.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on May 16, 2014, 12:27:11 PM
In my opinion it's arrogant to deny the future generations the access to your art. In my opinion a humble person lets the future generations judge whether your art has any value or not.

Well, certainly one may wonder if that was Graupner's real intention?  I just don't know much about his life and not sure if there are any recently researched biographies or possibly doctoral dissertations that may broach that question?

BUT, despite his apparent desire to have his works destroyed after his death, nearly all of his manuscripts (yet in autograph form) survived - none were published during his lifetime, and the legal dispute certainly impacted on their delayed publication until the 20th century.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Concerning Graupner's vocal compositions, I have just the 2-CD set below, which is entitled erroneously A Christmas Oratorio performed by Ex Tempore & Mannheimer Hofkapelle under the direction of Florian Heyerick - according to the liner notes, 9 Cantatas (quoted below) were selected which related to the Advent & Christmas seasons - the instrumentation is varied as expected and the singing is quite good - for those interested, a Fanfare Review HERE w/ a few 'quibbles' by the reviewer about several of the singers, but still highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteDie Nacht ist vergangen, GWV 1101/22
  Heulet, denn des Herrn Tag ist nahe, GWV 1102/26
  Wer da glaubet dass Jesus sei der Christ, GWV 1103/40
  Tut Busse und lasse sich ein jeglicher taufen, GWV 1104/34
  Wie bald hast du gelitten, GWV 1109/14
  Jauchzet ihr Himmel, erfreue dich Erde, GWV 1105/53
  Sie eifern um Gott, GWV 1106/46
  Gott sei uns gnädig, GWV 1109/41
  Merk auf, mein Herz, GWV 1111/44

Moonfish

I am very impressed by Solty's efforts to expand the discography of Graupner's compositions. Her efforts with the Alliance label is definitely an admirable contribution to realm of the Baroque. These are recent arrivals that I cannot wait to explore. They seem to contain an interesting blend of Graupner's works (a miniature smorgasbord).   - Peter

[asin] B000075AEK[/asin]

[asin] B0000C88G1[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: HIPster on May 15, 2014, 03:24:33 PM
Nice thread, Moonfish! 

Thanks for starting it.

Graupner is a composer that I am not familiar with at all and I appreciate the recommendations listed.

I've added the Feuersinger/Capricornus Consort Basel disc that you recommended to my ever-expanding wish list. . .   :)

Hope to hear it soon!

Thanks! That recording is fantastic. I have already listened to it three times over the past week. The cantata "Angst und Jammer" is outstanding as far as I am concerned. Beautiful divine angelic singing!   :)    Peter
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 18, 2014, 09:43:29 AM
Concerning Graupner's vocal compositions, I have just the 2-CD set below, which is entitled erroneously A Christmas Oratorio performed by Ex Tempore & Mannheimer Hofkapelle under the direction of Florian Heyerick - according to the liner notes, 9 Cantatas (quoted below) were selected which related to the Advent & Christmas seasons - the instrumentation is varied as expected and the singing is quite good - for those interested, a Fanfare Review HERE w/ a few 'quibbles' by the reviewer about several of the singers, but still highly recommended.  Dave :)

Thanks for that Dave! I definitely viewed the disc as an oratorium and not like a set of cantatas. Thanks for clearing that up and for posting the Fanfare review! It is always interesting to read impressions of Graupner's music. It is on my wish list!
(Hmm, this is my 1,000th post!  Yay!) :P

Peter
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 18, 2014, 01:04:58 PM
Yoohoo Moonfish. Look what I dibsed.

Ha ha! Well, I can tell that all that modern 20th century music must have affected you....    ;)
Anna Lappé

calyptorhynchus

Inspired by this thread I have been listening to some Graupner. It's ironic that the feature of his music which would have prevented it being played in the decades after his death has now, after the early music revivial, turned into an incentive to play it, namely his use of exotic instruments such as oboi d'amore, flauti d'amore, viole d'amore (lot of love there) and chalameaux.

Love it!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Que

Quote from: Moonfish on May 21, 2014, 11:15:04 AM
Sorry about taking so long to respond. The week has been very busy....

Well, my Graupner collection is not very large at the moment so it is hard to compare. I found this particular disc delightful with a blend of cantatas, concertos and sonata. It would definitely serve as a great entry point to Graupner's music together with the Feuersinger recording. Very clear recordings (often serene) and the ensemble and the singers bristle with energy. I really liked it. I am very fond of Graupner's cantatas at the moment. So much actually that I keep adding Graupner recordings to my wish list!   You know, it is all your "fault" bringing those Soly recordings forward in GMG.   ;D

I need to listen to vol 2 ...
[asin] B0000C88G1[/asin]

No problem, we're all busy. I'm getting married coming Staurday, you can imagine how busy I am at the moment...  ::) :D

Thanks for the recommendation! :) I clearly should investigate outside Graupner's keyboard music.

Q

Moonfish

Quote from: Que on May 21, 2014, 10:16:37 PM
No problem, we're all busy. I'm getting married coming Staurday, you can imagine how busy I am at the moment...  ::) :D

Thanks for the recommendation! :) I clearly should investigate outside Graupner's keyboard music.

Q

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!  :)
Anna Lappé

Marc

Quote from: Que on May 21, 2014, 10:16:37 PM
[....]

Staurday?
Wow, you really must be nervous.

http://www.youtube.com/v/BRDBvKGc1fE

I'm sure you picked a nice lady and I hope she enjoys Graupner as much as you do!

http://www.youtube.com/v/FmqOhaqJt8Y

Congrats!