Author Topic: Down with Dowland  (Read 8366 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Down with Dowland
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »

A very nice recording that has just come out, and a welcome addition to the small list of recordings of the Books of Songs complete in one recording and as solo songs. Let's hope for a Third Book of Songs in this format soon.

I don’t like her voice! But that’s such a personal thing it’s hardly worth stating. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
I don’t like her voice! But that’s such a personal thing it’s hardly worth stating.

I know, I'm very fussy about voices (and because I'm a poet I'm very sensitive to poor lyrics, so what with those two bugs I barely listen to vocal music). When the range gets high for Grace Davidson on this CD she becomes less intelligible. However, I know the lyrics of these songs so well that isn't much of a problem for me (and the CD does have the full lyrics).

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
Just thinking, does anyone know of a discography of Elizabethan song books? All I can find online are pages listing disks by individual artists or individual composers.
I’m wanting a list of complete or near complete recordings of Elizabethan song books. I have five or six such disks in my collection, was just wondering if there are any others.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2019, 04:21:57 AM »

He's got an adorable low voice, he sings in a refined and expressive way, the accompaniment, whether by lute or by consort, is gorgeous. Worth worth a listen when you're in the mood. 

It's a bit like renaissance music as easy listening I think, your granny would love it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing at all.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 04:48:25 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2019, 06:49:11 AM »
Frederiksen is one of the very few low voices who have done this repertory, if I am not mistaken.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »
Yes, here's a baritone singing from times gone by

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/A_Qo9sm9rp0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/A_Qo9sm9rp0</a>

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 10:26:59 AM »
And get this, very nice one for bass and soprano

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8ze90W7xi5A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8ze90W7xi5A</a>

from this

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »
Which Dowland song recordings are the least opera-y? I wanna drown in a dizzy afternoon of melancholy.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2020, 08:25:19 PM »
Which Dowland song recordings are the least opera-y? I wanna drown in a dizzy afternoon of melancholy.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »

That’s not what I was expecting!

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2020, 12:56:08 AM »
I'm really into the Hilliard Dowland disc on EMI. Beautiful songs. Now I want more. What are some essential Dowland recordings? For the lute music I've been looking at Nigel North's set on Naxos. What about the viol consort music and the like?

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2020, 10:55:52 PM »
Everyone says that this is interesting because of something special in Hopkinson Smith’s approach to the lute, but I’m not noticing any of that, I just love the timbre of Mariana Flores’s voice

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2020, 10:58:30 PM »
I'm really into the Hilliard Dowland disc on EMI. Beautiful songs. Now I want more. What are some essential Dowland recordings? For the lute music I've been looking at Nigel North's set on Naxos. What about the viol consort music and the like?

One thing I would say is this: when you’re deciding on recordings of the Lachrimae you need to decide whether you want all seven of them played as a continuous cycle, or whether you want to have other pieces interleaved.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 11:18:36 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2020, 11:25:19 PM »

Akkerman, best known as one-half of the main force behind the Dutch rock group Focus,
has phenomenal technique, and there are three Dowland pieces on this eclectic record: Britannia 3:55, The Earl Of Derby, His Galliard 1:36, and A Galliard 1:31. 
Unfortunately, he hasn't done anything much of interest post-1981 or so.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 11:35:14 PM by Scion7 »
Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2020, 12:56:19 AM »
One thing I would say is this: when you’re deciding on recordings of the Lachrimae you need to decide whether you want all seven of them played as a continuous cycle, or whether you want to have other pieces interleaved.

Well, what are my options? I've been looking at the Savall.

Offline Ras

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2020, 04:07:16 AM »

12 cd box from Decca will get you started:

"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2020, 09:03:13 AM »
I've been looking at the Savall.

The opening Lachrimae fantasy is one of the great great moments of viol music on record, it is unforgettable, it grabs you by the throat.

The rest may not quite live up to this auspicious beginning, but it is nonetheless an outstanding disc, both for the colourful and melting viols and, most of all, for José Miguel Morino’s lute. I’d say that the lute contribution is the best I can remember hearing, full of life. The approach to making the viols make musical phrases is the same throughout all the fantasies, but Savall is very aware that each piece has its own mood - it’s not just a sequence of seven sad movements, far from it.  It is very well recorded.

Savall intersperses the Lachrimae with various jolly things by Dowland, galiards. But these days that probably isn’t an issue, you can create your own tracklist out of the CD if that way inclined.

Well, what are my options?

Too many, Savall is a good place to start I think.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:13:10 AM by Mandryka »

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2020, 01:55:46 PM »
The opening Lachrimae fantasy is one of the great great moments of viol music on record, it is unforgettable, it grabs you by the throat.

The rest may not quite live up to this auspicious beginning, but it is nonetheless an outstanding disc, both for the colourful and melting viols and, most of all, for José Miguel Morino’s lute. I’d say that the lute contribution is the best I can remember hearing, full of life. The approach to making the viols make musical phrases is the same throughout all the fantasies, but Savall is very aware that each piece has its own mood - it’s not just a sequence of seven sad movements, far from it.  It is very well recorded.

Savall intersperses the Lachrimae with various jolly things by Dowland, galiards. But these days that probably isn’t an issue, you can create your own tracklist out of the CD if that way inclined.

Too many, Savall is a good place to start I think.

Sold. Sounds amazing! I'll try and find it cheaply, but I'm curious, is the Astrée recording the same thing as the one that was released later on AliaVox?

@Ras, that looks killer!

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2020, 12:39:34 AM »
12 cd box from Decca will get you started:

Absolutely indispensable  - notably for the songs.

Q

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2020, 01:10:00 AM »
Sold. Sounds amazing! I'll try and find it cheaply, but I'm curious, is the Astrée recording the same thing as the one that was released later on AliaVox?

@Ras, that looks killer!

I think so.