New Member here!!!

Started by ClassicFan, May 28, 2014, 08:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicFan

New member here...  ??? 

Been a long time listener of art music. Play classical guitar and dabble with the violin. Just wanted to say hello!

Moonfish

Welcome to GMG, ClassicFan!
Lots of music to ponder here regardless of your inclination. I have only been here for about three months, but have had a great time reading, listening and posting. So much to explore.....     :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Lisztianwagner

Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll have a nice time here!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

EigenUser

I am violin-dabbler as well. My previous avatar was a picture of me playing the violin, but I changed it for Ligeti's birthday today. I think I'll change it back tomorrow, although I still want to be remembered as "that guy who had Ravel in his avatar" ;D.

Enough about me. How long have you played violin?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

EigenUser

Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Brahmsian

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 28, 2014, 01:55:49 PM
Ken's a minimalist, if you couldn't tell. :P
Welcome. Welcome. Welcome. Well well well well welcome. Welcome. Well come come welcome.

:)

North Star

Hello!

Do you like Dutilleux8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: EigenUser on May 28, 2014, 01:55:49 PM
Ken's a minimalist, if you couldn't tell. :P

..and on the good side of the evil spectrum. Right, Ken?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Jay F

ClassicFan

Quote from: EigenUser on May 28, 2014, 01:35:34 PM
I am violin-dabbler as well. My previous avatar was a picture of me playing the violin, but I changed it for Ligeti's birthday today. I think I'll change it back tomorrow, although I still want to be remembered as "that guy who had Ravel in his avatar" ;D.

Enough about me. How long have you played violin?

Started when I was 8.... switched to guitar when I was 14.... started dabbeling again about 4 years ago....

bhodges

Welcome, ClassicFan, and enjoy your time here.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! Who are some of your favorite composers?

zamyrabyrd

Hi, I am an old/new member, AKA Janet, returning from a long AWOL, having traversed the mountains and deserts of other blogs and finding no meadows as green or pleasant as the GMG.
There are familiar names here I see from the distant past but also intriguing new ones. I hope to catch up on some of the fun and info, now that it is summer break.  ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

North Star

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on June 03, 2014, 07:43:44 AM
Hi, I am an old/new member, AKA Janet, returning from a long AWOL, having traversed the mountains and deserts of other blogs and finding no meadows as green or pleasant as the GMG.
There are familiar names here I see from the distant past but also intriguing new ones. I hope to catch up on some of the fun and info, now that it is summer break.  ZB
Welcome back, Janet!

My photographs on Flickr

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2014, 07:47:13 AM
Welcome back, Janet!
Thanks! Finland, you say, it must be beautiful this time of year. I'm also a Sibelius fan (the composer).
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

North Star

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on June 03, 2014, 11:41:45 PM
Thanks! Finland, you say, it must be beautiful this time of year.
Yes, very beautiful - although winter and fall are very beautiful, too, of course. :)  (for some evidence, see the link in my signature)
QuoteI'm also a Sibelius fan (the composer).
I'm glad you clarified which Sibelius you meant ;)  (I, too, am a great admirer of his music)

My photographs on Flickr