The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Ockeghem's Office

(1/21) > >>

EigenUser:
I used the GMG search for Ockeghem and got a rather interesting suggestion from the search engine. See for yourselves.

But seriously, no Ockeghem thread in the past seven years ??? ? I don't know that much about him, but isn't he pretty important? I feel bad starting this thread -- like the honor should be left to a big fan of his instead of a newbie. I guess no one cares, though, or they would have posted one.

What are some of his more well-known works? I am listening to his "Missa Prolationum" and I think it is stunning. Any suggestions?

Archaic Torso of Apollo:
He's a great composer, and deserves his own thread.

The Requiem is probably his best known piece. It may be the first requiem written by anyone. The Pro Cantione Antiqua recording on Archiv has a special place in my heart and record collection.

His music is extremely complex, and has attracted a lot of attention from modern composers. Ligeti cited him as an influence.

The new erato:

--- Quote from: Velimir on May 31, 2014, 11:49:59 AM --- The Pro Cantione Antiqua recording on Archiv has a special place in my heart and record collection.

--- End quote ---
All the recordings they did I feel is pretty special.

Ockeghem is an extremely interesting composer. This recording is rather special:

TheGSMoeller:

--- Quote from: Velimir on May 31, 2014, 11:49:59 AM ---
The Requiem is probably his best known piece. It may be the first requiem written by anyone.

--- End quote ---

I've heard only two recordings, The Hilliard Ensemble and The Clerks' Group. I do own The Clerks' Group and absolutely love it, their tone is more rugged than Hilliard, but stunningly gorgeous. The music itself is transcendent.

--- Quote from: Velimir on May 31, 2014, 11:49:59 AM ---The Pro Cantione Antiqua recording on Archiv has a special place in my heart and record collection.

--- End quote ---

Is this the album?

Archaic Torso of Apollo:

--- Quote from: EigenUser on May 31, 2014, 11:22:34 AM ---I used the GMG search for Ockeghem and got a rather interesting suggestion from the search engine. See for yourselves.

--- End quote ---

I tried it  :laugh:

--- Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 31, 2014, 02:46:40 PM ---Is this the album?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's it. I have the original LP issue. I had the Clerks Group for a while. I thought it was good until I heard Pro Cantione Antiqua. For me now, the Clerks sound too bright and emotionally neutral. The PCA recording is slower, much darker, and very fervent. It also has some discreet instrumental accompaniment, which adds a notable mournful undertone to the proceedings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version