The ONE Beethoven Violin Sonata Cycle to Rule Them All!

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 10, 2014, 05:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 11, 2014, 09:03:57 AM
Why are violinists always so ugly!!  ;)
Ibragimova votes with accompanying pictures are inherently suspect!

G. String

Mono: Szigeti/Arrau or Stereo: Kremer/Argerich.

Szigeti/Arrau...

Gurn Blanston

Francescatti/Casadesus     5
Szeryng/Haebler              1
Faust/Melnikov                4
Kremer/Argerich              5
Heifetz/Bay                     1
Suk /Panenka                  1
Mutter/Orkis                   1
Grumiaux / Haskil           1
Schneiderhan / Kempff    1
Ibragomova / Tiberghien 1
Szigeti/Arrau                 1

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 12, 2014, 10:12:50 AM
Mutter/Orkis                   1
Grumiaux / Haskil           1
Schneiderhan / Kempff    1
Ibragomova / Tiberghien 1
Szigeti/Arrau                 1

8)

Surprising: no period instruments.

I will vote Schröder/Immerseel (DHM); but Terakado/Vodenitcharov (Denon) and Seiler/Immerseel (ZZT) are very good, too. 

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on June 12, 2014, 11:25:50 AM

I will vote Schröeder/Immerseel (DHM); but Terakado/Vodenitcharov (Denon) and Seiler/Immerseel (ZZT) are very good, too.  :)

That's because you and I hadn't voted yet! :)

I would vote for Terakado/Vodenitcharov also, but if forced to go MI (just try it!) I would take Kremer/Argerich.   :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jay F

Does anyone like Carl Seemann and Wolfgang Schneiderhan's cycle? Reading about them on the DG website is how I came to hear about this music. But the CDs are OOP and so stratospherically priced, I haven't ever heard them.

Daverz

Wow, I forgot about the Suk/Panenka cycle.  Once I'm finished with Barati/Wurtz, I'll have to re-acquaint myself with it.

Wakefield

Quote from: Jay F on June 12, 2014, 01:05:59 PM
Does anyone like Carl Seemann and Wolfgang Schneiderhan's cycle? Reading about them on the DG website is how I came to hear about this music. But the CDs are OOP and so stratospherically priced, I haven't ever heard them.

I purchased it some months ago because of the comments of Premont on Schneiderhan, a violinist I didn't know. So my acquaintance with him is very recent and I have had some problems because he was really an intense guy, probably a little bit over-the-top for my customary petty bourgeois moderation...  ;D

I bought these very cheap lossless archives: http://www.starzik.es/mp3/products/Beethoven_Complete_Sonatas_for_Piano_and_Violin-1265669.html
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

king ubu

Quote from: Gordo on June 12, 2014, 11:25:50 AM

I will vote Schröeder/Immerseel (DHM); but Terakado/Vodenitcharov (Denon) and Seiler/Immerseel (ZZT) are very good, too.  :)

If Seiler had a better pianist ... her playing is great and I enjoy the whole cycle quite some, also wonderfully recorded. But I just don't get Immerseel, plodding away heavily all the time, even where the music should dance or should float ... similar with their Mozart sonatas. Their, some HIP recordings exist that I enjoy much more though, most notably the one disc by Bezuidenhout/Müllejans - wish they'd tackle more! Has Bezuidenhout ever played any Beethoven, btw?
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Que

Quote from: king ubu on June 13, 2014, 12:09:47 AM
If Seiler had a better pianist ... her playing is great and I enjoy the whole cycle quite some, also wonderfully recorded. But I just don't get Immerseel, plodding away heavily all the time, even where the music should dance or should float ... similar with their Mozart sonatas. Their, some HIP recordings exist that I enjoy much more though, most notably the one disc by Bezuidenhout/Müllejans - wish they'd tackle more! Has Bezuidenhout ever played any Beethoven, btw?

Yes.  :)

[asin]B00394S588[/asin]

Q

king ubu

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on June 13, 2014, 12:30:58 AM
Yes.  :)

[asin]B00394S588[/asin]

Q

Which would be splendid if it was a cycle. I greatly enjoy that disk, both of the players are among my favorites and they do well together, too.  :)

8)

Jay F

Quote from: Gordo on June 12, 2014, 10:00:10 PM
I purchased it some months ago because of the comments of Premont on Schneiderhan, a violinist I didn't know. So my acquaintance with him is very recent and I have had some problems because he was really an intense guy, probably a little bit over-the-top for my customary petty bourgeois moderation...  ;D

I bought these very cheap lossless archives: http://www.starzik.es/mp3/products/Beethoven_Complete_Sonatas_for_Piano_and_Violin-1265669.html

Thanks, Gordo.

SonicMan46

Well, I must have missed the start of this thread - at the moment I own 4 sets of these works (and all are excellent - tough choice):

Immerseel-Schroder; Francescatti-Casadesus; Cerovsek-Jumppanen; & Berofsky-Bush - the latter two my most recent additions.

So, just to put another duo in the ring - Cerovsek-Jumppanen - Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Mutter/Orkis                    1
Grumiaux / Haskil            1
Schneiderhan / Kempff     1
Ibragomova / Tiberghien  1
Szigeti/Arrau                   1
Cerovsek-Jumppanen       1
Terakado/Vodenitcharov   2

8)

Todd

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 13, 2014, 06:10:10 AMSo, just to put another duo in the ring - Cerovsek-Jumppanen

The best digital set I've heard to date.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

North Star

Francescatti & Casadesus        5
Kremer & Argerich                    5
Faust & Melnikov                      4
Terakado & Vodenitcharov       2
Cerovsek & Jumppanen           1
Grumiaux & Haskil                    1
Heifetz & Bay                           1
Ibragomova & Tiberghien        1
Mutter & Orkis                         1
Schneiderhan & Kempff           1
Suk & Panenka                        1
Szeryng & Haebler                  1
Szigeti & Arrau                        1
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mn dave

Which one of these would I like? Preferably available on iTunes. I don't care about HIP.

North Star

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 13, 2014, 06:44:30 AM
Which one of these would I like? Preferably available on iTunes. I don't care about HIP.
Kremer & Argerich seems to be there. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr