Author Topic: Ginastera's Garden  (Read 31776 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: Ginastera's Garden
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2021, 05:17:40 PM »
Ginastera has given me great pleasure lately. His chamber works are proving to be something else. Earlier I took a listen to the Guitar Sonata, and again, a wondrous creation portraying vividly his Latin American soul. Amazing stuff.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2021, 05:23:13 PM »
Ginastera has given me great pleasure lately. His chamber works are proving to be something else. Earlier I took a listen to the Guitar Sonata, and again, a wondrous creation portraying vividly his Latin American soul. Amazing stuff.

I think if more orchestras/chamber ensembles would schedule Latin American music on their concert programs, especially from Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Chávez, Revueltas and Guarnieri, then you would see an increased interest in this area of classical music.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2021, 10:32:05 PM »
I think if more orchestras/chamber ensembles would schedule Latin American music on their concert programs, especially from Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Chávez, Revueltas and Guarnieri, then you would see an increased interest in this area of classical music.

++++1 - the neglect/ignorance of the sheer range and quality of CM from Latin America is mind-boggling.  Literally an entire continent is known by the last movement of Estancia and the Little Train of the Caipera (with a Bachianas Brasileiras and a Mexican Hat Dance thrown in too).  Gross exageration I know - but you get my drift!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2021, 05:25:36 AM »
++++1 - the neglect/ignorance of the sheer range and quality of CM from Latin America is mind-boggling.  Literally an entire continent is known by the last movement of Estancia and the Little Train of the Caipera (with a Bachianas Brasileiras and a Mexican Hat Dance thrown in too).  Gross exageration I know - but you get my drift!

Absolutely!
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Uhor

« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »
I'm listening to his last opera "Beatrix Cenci", which has all the avant-garde tricks from that time (1971): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS07-JVlzJo&t=743s