Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra
Beethoven - Symphony no. 9
Brahms - Symphony no. 1
Bruch - Violin Concerto no. 1
Dvorak - "New World" Symphony and "American" Quartet
Elgar - Cello Concerto
Mahler - Symphony no. 5
Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto, Rococo Variations, and ballets

Most of these works have simply lost their luster to me due to overexposure.

That's true for a lot of things with me, The famous the work, the more likely it bores me, because I have listened to it so many times over the years.  Beethoven and Mahler are about the only composers who  have escaped this syndrome.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 15, 2019, 09:13:20 PM
I'm still not going to commit myself to a 'Top 10' list, but I just never really understood why Ravel's Boléro is considered one of his best works. .... Boléro just kind always felt ho-hum to me and rather unremarkable.

I tend to agree. But La Valse is just as boring as Bolero.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on March 16, 2019, 04:59:19 PM
I tend to agree. But La Valse is just as boring as Bolero.

La Valse is another work that I've never warmed to either. I will say I feel it's a rather inventive work. Man, I really dislike putting down Ravel as I mentioned before he's one of my absolute favorites, but every great composer has made missteps or has works that people just aren't going to like. That's just the way it is.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

They are totally different. Bolero is something like a minimalist/experimental dance piece and La Valse is more of a symphonic poem far darker and also richer in material (it's no contest pro La Valse for me although it's not among my absolute Ravel favorites either).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on March 16, 2019, 04:40:43 PM
Always nice to hear that I am a tasteless ass.

No, you're not. Don't take it too personal.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jaakko Keskinen

I was joking.  ;) And, for what it's worth, I do like the finale of Nachtmusik. So I guess I'm a 3/4 tasteless ass  :D Just kidding.  :)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Overtones

Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz.

I cannot for the life of me get to be intrigued or touched or excited or anything by it

EDIT Damn, that was an awful typo... "Berlios", ahahah.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Overtones on March 18, 2019, 08:27:34 AM
Symphonie Fantastique by Berlios.

I cannot for the life of me get to be intrigued or touched or excited or anything by it

I didn't like it at first listening but eventually I grew to love it as I do damn near every Berlioz work.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 17, 2019, 12:37:41 AM
I like Bolero but not La Valse.
Uncannily similar to what I would say: I love Bolero but not La Valse.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 17, 2019, 12:37:41 AM
I like Bolero but not La Valse.

Ah, finally a point we disagree on! ;D I much prefer La valse to Bolero, though I don't actively dislike the latter.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 12, 2014, 11:21:14 AM
I have some problems with Italian Opera, especially its most illustrious figure:

Verdi: Nabucco
Verdi: La traviata
Verdi: Aida
Verdi: Don Carlo
Verdi: Rigoletto
Me too!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I love both La Valse and the Bolero, with different parts of my brain.

Jo498

I don't disdain Eine kleine Nachtmusik. But there are probably around 100 Mozart works that are clearly superior and probably another 100 that would be at least as deserving of such widespread popularity. The popularity is _comparably_ recent, beginning only in the 1890s or later. According to wikipedia the first large Mozart biography by Otto Jahn (1859) doesn't seem to be aware of the piece's existence.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal