Your Choice

Started by King Karajan, July 24, 2007, 08:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Karajan

Just got my headphone amp back with new improved tubes!! I need suggestions for an inaugural CD to break it in with a nice bottle of wine. Any suggestions on new releases??

bhodges

Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances (Eiji Oue/Minnesota Orchestra) - Although Oue's interpretation might not be "the" one for all time, the recording certainly is.  Here's a review in which the writer calls it "the finest orchestral recording I have ever heard," and I might agree.  Reference Recordings (a small company in San Francisco) has done an amazing job capturing the ensemble (which sounds terrific, by the way).  Definitely "show off your system" material. 

--Bruce

King Karajan

Quote from: bhodges on July 24, 2007, 08:28:50 AM
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances (Eiji Oue/Minnesota Orchestra) - Although Oue's interpretation might not be "the" one for all time, the recording certainly is.  Here's a review in which the writer calls it "the finest orchestral recording I have ever heard," and I might agree.  Reference Recordings (a small company in San Francisco) has done an amazing job capturing the ensemble (which sounds terrific, by the way).  Definitely "show off your system" material. 

--Bruce

Thanks Bruce! Given my Rotel player is HDCD compatible this should be great.

bhodges

Quote from: King Karajan on July 24, 2007, 09:23:40 AM

Thanks Bruce! Given my Rotel player is HDCD compatible this should be great.

Just pay no attention to the silly seagull photograph on the cover.  ;D  (This is a great example of a recording that could benefit from different artwork, IMHO, but that's another story.)

--Bruce

hautbois

Hmmm....I don't quite agree, maybe i do not have a better sound system to judge, but i find that the engineers zoom in certain instruments over intentionally creating a zooming in and out picture which to my ears is not so fine. I would recommend perhaps this:

Steve

Asssuming you have yet to innaguarate your repaired system, might I suggest a classic very likely already in your collection?  :)