How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on April 02, 2024, 12:10:51 PMFifty years ago tomorrow, the town of Xenia in the state of Ohio suffered greatly from one of the most serious tornado outbreaks in history.

And once again, it's back in the bullseye:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Here's hoping history doesn't repeat itself...
Wishing all the best for the area and all of the people and animals and structures therein.  ❤️

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

I'm pretty sure I felt a tremor from the NJ earthquake today.  :o
Weird shaking noises in the house I couldn't trace at the time.
Though 130 miles NW of NYC, I noticed that I'm within the 3.0 (Richter scale) contour shown here

And tremors were reported significantly North of me.

Weather is crap, btw. Loads of rain this week, then 5 inches or so of wet snow, not including the ongoing snow showers expected through Saturday.  >:(  And the municipal snow plow truck destroyed my mailbox yesterday.  >:(

LKB

As a California " earthquake veteran " ( though not an official expert ) of over fifty years, I'm fairly sure you were detecting the New Jersey quake.

I must say I'm a bit amused at the news coverage, though l suppose a little hysteria is understandable given the rarity of detectable seismic activity there.

In the bay area, a 4.8 wouldn't get more than a passing mention in the nightly news, unless it resulted in significant damage or injury. Heck, l don't even get outta bed for those.  :laugh:

Sorry about your mailbox though, that sucks.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

T. D.

It's the third mini-quake I've experienced, all in NY State, others being c. 1981-2 and 1984-5.
The first and third Upstate, the second in Brooklyn.

JBS

It seems the quake's epicenter was not very far from a certain golf course in Bedminster NJ.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on April 02, 2024, 12:10:51 PMFifty years ago tomorrow, the town of Xenia in the state of Ohio suffered greatly from one of the most serious tornado outbreaks in history.

And once again, it's back in the bullseye:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Here's hoping history doesn't repeat itself...
I heard about that back when I was at Wooster. And now I know that St Xenia (Kseniya) is the patroness saint of St Petersburg.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on April 05, 2024, 02:28:08 PMI must say I'm a bit amused at the news coverage, though l suppose a little hysteria is understandable given the rarity of detectable seismic activity there.
Rarity is right. the first earthquake I was aware of in Jersey was back not long after I was graduated from high school. Yesterday's event was felt by someone in nearby Wakefield, Mass. (I missed it, somehow)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on April 05, 2024, 05:43:20 PMIt seems the quake's epicenter was not very far from a certain golf course in Bedminster NJ.

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

While there has been warmer days, we are still getting snow in Helsinki! Thankfully it melts aways immediately. The temperature is around -1°C and 0°C (around 31°F).

Quote from: T. D. on April 05, 2024, 11:48:13 AMI'm pretty sure I felt a tremor from the NJ earthquake today.  :o
Weird shaking noises in the house I couldn't trace at the time.
Though 130 miles NW of NYC, I noticed that I'm within the 3.0 (Richter scale) contour shown here

Finnish bedrock is among the most stable in the World and I have personally never experienced an earthquake in my life. Some areas of Finland experience small tremors sometimes*, but they are very weak and harmless. 3.0 on Richter scale is massive in Finland!

* Recently the Hydralic Press Channel tested their new 300 ton hydraulic press crushing hammers that exploded to pieces causing the whole hydraulic press jump generating local earthquakes. Their neighbour complained about his house shaking due to these tests!  :D

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Maestro267

Today's the first day of the year that's felt genuinely spring-like. Got to bring the outside washing line out of its winter hibernation.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: 71 dB on April 20, 2024, 07:22:16 AMWhile there has been warmer days, we are still getting snow in Helsinki! Thankfully it melts aways immediately. The temperature is around -1°C and 0°C (around 31°F).

Finnish bedrock is among the most stable in the World and I have personally never experienced an earthquake in my life. Some areas of Finland experience small tremors sometimes*, but they are very weak and harmless. 3.0 on Richter scale is massive in Finland!

* Recently the Hydralic Press Channel tested their new 300 ton hydraulic press crushing hammers that exploded to pieces causing the whole hydraulic press jump generating local earthquakes. Their neighbour complained about his house shaking due to these tests!  :D

I wonder whether or not he might be liable for any physical and/or emotional damage due to his experiments?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 20, 2024, 01:53:23 PMI wonder whether or not he might be liable for any physical and/or emotional damage due to his experiments?

PD

Maybe in the US he would be, but this is Europe where people don't sue each other for everything.  :D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quite spriinglike in the southern New England manner. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA