Gaetano Donizetti's Laboratorio

Started by Scion7, July 17, 2014, 09:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

I'm far from an expert in the field of Opera - probably the bottom of my classical listening taste - but even those composers known mostly for their opera's or considered strictly working in that field had their moments outside of opera (aka Siegfried Idyll) - here's a lovely little number from Donizetti:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7Pm7cl13c

He wrote a number of chamber works, piano pieces, and orchestral compositions, very lyrical in content, if not breaking new ground.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

Any of that CPO String Quartet Cycle got what it takes? He wrote a bunch around 1820.

Scion7

I don't have any of those - only a smattering of his music - I have the Solsti Italiani's 3rd and 5th - well-structured, melodious affairs.  Don't look for Beethoven, Brahms, Bartok or Schubert in these - they are 2nd tier, but nicely done.  If Verdi had written more instrumental pieces I think they'd be interesting, as his operas are not to my taste.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Brahmsian

@Florestan

Speaking of Donizetti's string quartets, this group (Mitja Quartet), is in the midst of recording all 18 string quartets, in three separate volumes.

The first two volumes are already released (the second volume just released this January).

Volume I - SQ 15, 4, 8, 13, 5, 14

Volume II - SQ 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 6

I can attest from the sound samples that it sounds all very alluring.  I encourage anyone interested in listening to the samples.  8)

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Brahmsian

Jo498

There was a complete recording of Donizettis quartets, IIRC by a HIP ensemble on cpo. I have one or two discs from that series and they are pretty good classicist pieces, but I didn't need all of them.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brahmsian

Well, after the Myaskovsky and Kodaly cello works, I need something a bit lighter.  This new arrival:

CD 1:

String Quartet 15 in F major
String Quartet No. 4 in D major
String Quartet No. 8 in B-flat major

Hitting the spot. :)