Shura Cherkassky

Started by Mandryka, August 05, 2010, 08:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Finally found a reasonably priced copy of this set tonight, so I promptly ordered it (via a amazon third party seller):

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Anyone heard this one? How is it?

George

For those of you who have heard most or all of the BBC CDs, which are the best?

Drasko

Quote from: George on September 27, 2012, 05:34:41 AM
For those of you who have heard most or all of the BBC CDs, which are the best?

I've heard maybe half of them. The one with Schubert D959 is superb (blue/purple cover), and I liked also all Chopin one (red cover). Was never very interested in concertos, the one with Rachmaninov 3 and Prokofiev 2 didn't leave much of impression. Haven't heard any of the others, but would like to hear Handel/Brahms/Berg one.   

George

Quote from: Drasko on September 28, 2012, 08:11:54 AM
I've heard maybe half of them. The one with Schubert D959 is superb (blue/purple cover), and I liked also all Chopin one (red cover). Was never very interested in concertos, the one with Rachmaninov 3 and Prokofiev 2 didn't leave much of impression. Haven't heard any of the others, but would like to hear Handel/Brahms/Berg one.

Thanks!

danielcra333

could you send those Shura Cherkassky'cd to mi by e-mail? please!

George

Quote from: danielcra333 on March 03, 2013, 09:41:09 PM
could you send those Shura Cherkassky'cd to mi by e-mail? please!

?

DavidA

I have the complete Nimbus set of Cherkassky which I picked up second hand some years ago. Some great performances though like all Cherkassky he can be variable. Very dull Mussorsky Pictures but everything else is good.

There is a story about Cherkassky and his wife after they split up after a pretty disastrous marriage. Cherkassky met her some years later at a function and asked, 'haven't we met before?' at which point she pointed out, to his surprise, that he had once been married to the lady!

George

Now enjoying this new 2CD set from one of my favorite pianists, Shura Cherkassky. He was a student of Josef Hofmann, the pianist whose hands appear in my avatar. This is another splendid, affordable release from Guild, a very cool label who does nice work and offers rare recordings.

QuoteThe Russian-born virtuoso Shura Cherkassky was undoubtedly one of the finest pianists of the 20th-century, admired not only for the magnificence of his playing but also for the wide range of his concert repertoire. On this important and valuable double-album, we concentrate on his noted recordings of 19th-century repertoire, which constitute music from the heart of his fondly-remembered performances. The recordings, all except the Liszt Liebestraum appearing on CD for the first time, have been excellently remastered and the playing-time of these CDs is very generous - almost two hours and forty minutes of great musicianship.

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on September 14, 2010, 11:20:06 AM
Is there a live Kreisleriana from Cherkassky?

Yes there is, and it's available on DVD here, the DVD called "Shura Cherkassky in recital -Vol. 1 "

http://www.classicalvideorarities.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=cherkassky&x=0&y=0&gclid=CPq-xL-pr6UCFUQq3wodnXPgYw

It is outstanding, as is the Beethoven op 27/1 on the same recording.

I have no further details, I have no idea where or when the concert took place.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

I was just enjoying another listen to this great (and inexpensive) CD and figured I'd bump this thread.

Cosi bel do

It's funny and a little weird that what I consider one of his best recordings hasn't been discussed yet. Anyway, Cherkassky is not really among the pianists I adore and I listen to the most, but this album is definitely a gem. And it's typical of his repertoire, too.

Mandryka

Quote from: Discobolus on December 19, 2014, 02:23:09 PM
It's funny and a little weird that what I consider one of his best recordings hasn't been discussed yet. Anyway, Cherkassky is not really among the pianists I adore and I listen to the most, but this album is definitely a gem. And it's typical of his repertoire, too.

I agree about this. I especially like the Bach/Busoni on it.

I was playing something by Cherkassky recently, Clair de lune, and it struck how much more interesting he made the music than his teacher Hofmann.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen