Blind Comparison: Schubert String Quintet D. 956 / Op. 163

Started by amw, July 24, 2014, 10:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

I am at it (two more to go), I think I will vote tuesday the latest. Is there any identification of the finalists with respect to their numbers from the former rounds or is this verboten?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Cato

My Macintosh died recently!   :'(  So I have been dealing with finding a new computer, transferring files, downloading programs, etc!

Otherwise, I would be done by now!  I also hope to be done by Tuesday!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Jay F

Quote from: Cato on December 07, 2014, 03:30:21 PM
My Macintosh died recently!   :'(  So I have been dealing with finding a new computer, transferring files, downloading programs, etc!

Otherwise, I would be done by now!  I also hope to be done by Tuesday!

You're more than welcome to share my votes.

Brian

New Ranking

1. K4
2. K3
3. K2
4. K5
5. K1

And I liked K1. Truth is, I liked all the finalists. Nightmare averted! K4 is a deserving champion.

mc ukrneal

Ok. I am 60% of the way through. Moving along finally!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

amw

Quote from: Jo498 on December 07, 2014, 12:33:45 PM
I am at it (two more to go), I think I will vote tuesday the latest. Is there any identification of the finalists with respect to their numbers from the former rounds or is this verboten?
You can if you like. However I personally won't be revealing them until tuesday (or 1-2 days more if needed).

Good to hear you're still with us Cato! Best of luck.

mc ukrneal

Just one more to go! If all goes well, I'll submit a vote tomorrow. So far, I have a clear view on which I like and which I don't.

Jo498

So I am doing this the quick and dirty way because I simply do not have the leisure to spend any more time. Better go with my gut impression than keep listening until everything sound alike. (Probably condemned a fav from my shelves... although most of them were sorted out before like Orpheus and Hagen)
I made three groups

Clear winner K4 +++ Yeah, whatever the top mark is.

The main downside is the somewhat edgy sound and lack of really relaxed bits (esp. in the adagio, but the "pleading", disturbed character of the last section of this one is very impressively done). But overall this is one of the most exciting ones I have heard during the test. Really a wild ride at times with strong contrasting section in all movements (except for the second where the outer sections are somewhat tense and the central section is not quite as explosive), I especially liked the finale that seemed both folksy at times and "ambiguous" in a sinister way.

Then K5 and K1. ++

K5 is also quite dramatic, at times wild with "weaknesses" in the quieter sections (incl. trio) that might sometimes appear a little prosaic. (Could this be one of the younger virtuoso ensembles: Artemis/Mork?) K1 is a little too mellow in the 1st movement but has the interesting combination of a rather fast 2nd movement that still remains very quiet and "innig".

K2 and K3 seem both less successful: meh
Both seem much less intense and dramatic K2 has an odd sound/balance/dynamic overall, sometimes very beautiful sounds, but it does not hang so well together. I liked the 2nd movement better, but as I said, I am too lazy now to reconsider. K3 is not dramatic enough in the 1st (apart from a few sudden bursts), sometimes mannered (accompaniment of "cello theme" and valedictory statement of this theme at the end) and too loud and affirmative in the slow movement.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

mc ukrneal

Schubert Finals

K1 –   A nice start, but perhaps a bit cold. I dislike the occasional hesitation that the violin makes. Cold is probably not the right word – they have a more classical period approach (as opposed to romantic), which gives it a sense of elegant nobility, rather than fire and passion.  So I guess it just comes down to which approach you prefer. I don't always like their choice of rubato, which I think has the effect of damaging the flow, rather than enhancing the feeling.  Still, the playing is generally good (one never worries that they cannot play what comes next). There is a certain lightness that I find quite persuasive. Third movement, in particular is quite brilliant in its speed, accuracy and excitement (minus a couple small unison gaffes), though a note is held too long at the end (same issue in last movement). I really like this version, except that it gets a bit tiresome in the lack of variability in its sound.  It may be the way they play it, but could be an issue with the engineers as well.

K2 – More variable dynamics at the start. Intense beginning.  I quite like the opening movement as it has a number of qualities missing from the first. I like their ability to play softer and to really use dynamics/phrasing to advance the music. They are miked closely though and the breathing is killing me sometimes. On occasion, their phrasing is too staccato. Balance in the second movement isn't always ideal, but I like that this group don't really appear to hold back. Second to last movement is pretty intense, though violin sometimes overdoes it (and the staccato is sometimes overwhelming). Still, an enjoyable listen overall.

K3 – A beautiful start. Very intense. Perhaps a bit too metronomic in some of the violin work. I love the way this group does the crescendos – very effective. I think there are two issues for me: 1) overly bright sound, 2) no/little rubato. I think the second is why it loses some expressiveness when they are so good in other moments. But then, it's really number one that sometimes drives me crazy. It's like they are hacking at the instruments at times. I think it becomes more pronounced as they hack play on. This is why the second movement isn't quite effective. They never seem to play hushed (although they did a little bit in the first movement).  Anyway, not a fan.

K4 – Nice start. They are miked so close I can hear their breathing. They are good, but their sound isn't quite as blended as I would like (which for me really means the lead violin). I really like how they create the line within the different sections and across them in the first movement. The soft sections throughout are quite tender. Fast sections are light and fleet. So in the end, very nicely done, but not much fire. On the other hand, it seems like a very safe recommendation, because the playing is very good. It's a happy version (relatively).

K5 – Quite nice opening. I didn't like how the cello sometimes seemed to hold notes (inconsistent with others). Quiet moments sometimes lose propulsion. They sometimes produced a thin sound as well. Second movement seems draggy a bit, and I wish they would play more hushed in certain moments. They don't always contrast enough. I wish they sometimes had a lighter touch as well. As it goes on, I find their playing less and less enjoyable.

Overall: A very interesting group of finalists. Liked K1, K2 and K4. I didn't love any of them, but all had certain qualities I enjoyed. I think K2 was a bit ahead of K4. That leaves K1 in third. K5 had some nice qualities, butwere often too static. K3 might have been good, but the sound they created was too harsh, though their crescendos were brilliant.

So final scores:
Yea +: K2
Yea: K4, K1
Meh: K5
Thumbs Down: K3

amw

Thanks Jo & Neal!

Cato, GSMoeller, Pat B: are you planning to vote and, if so, thoughts on a Friday deadline?

aukhawk

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 09, 2014, 05:27:12 PM
They are good, but their sound isn't quite as blended as I would like (which for me really means the lead violin). ...

The more I listened to this music, throughout the test, the more I came to see it as a "Double Concerto for Violin and Cello, with String Trio". 
Maybe this was down to the personalities in some of the more outstanding versions, certainly I think the sound balance (either engineered or internal to the group) frequently supported this view of things.  Maybe string quartets generally are really mini- violin concertos, I don't know.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: aukhawk on December 10, 2014, 12:06:42 AM
The more I listened to this music, throughout the test, the more I came to see it as a "Double Concerto for Violin and Cello, with String Trio". 
Maybe this was down to the personalities in some of the more outstanding versions, certainly I think the sound balance (either engineered or internal to the group) frequently supported this view of things.  Maybe string quartets generally are really mini- violin concertos, I don't know.
That's an interesting thought. It may also help explain why I dislike some performances.  I am sometimes critical of string quartets (and violin concertos) when the lead is too prominent.

It's also interesting because it can change one's expectations, as well as one's assessment of a work.  I'll have to think on that one - and interested to see what others think.

aukhawk

If the lead violinist has a big ego (and I daresay a few do!  ::) ) then it must be hard to have to share the limelight with a ... ugh, 'cellist.  ;)

Perhaps that's the 'meaning' behind the plucked-notes call-and-response passage in the adagio ...

Cato

Quote from: amw on December 09, 2014, 07:35:35 PM
Thanks Jo & Neal!

Cato, GSMoeller, Pat B: are you planning to vote and, if so, thoughts on a Friday deadline?

Yes, I will be able to write up my results soon!

Cato

Okay, not complete, but so far I have K 1 edging out K 5: the latter is very good, but a few too many clicks and buzzes in the cellos, and K 1 has an edge in the Finale with their proto-Mahlerian Keck coming out now and then!

Pat B

Quote from: amw on December 09, 2014, 07:35:35 PM
Thanks Jo & Neal!

Sorry, I'm just watching the finals from the sideline. :|

Cato

Quote from: Cato on December 10, 2014, 03:39:30 PM
Okay, not complete, but so far I have K 1 edging out K 5: the latter is very good, but a few too many clicks and buzzes in the cellos, and K 1 has an edge in the Finale with their proto-Mahlerian Keck coming out now and then!

Not much time: I had a cataract operation on my left eye today  (just one of the things that have happened in the past weeks to slow down my participation here), and so I am typing this with my right eye only!

K 2 is another excellent performance: it has - at times - the big full sound I prefer, yet one hears a good deal of breathing and clothes noise.  Still, ignoring that, it is quite fine!

And now K 4: very "up close and personal" sound: as with K 2, a good deal of clothes rustling and breathing!  If one ignores those things, another excellent performance: a few times there are quibbles with attack and ensemble, but just minor ones. 

K1

K2

K4 and K5 (tied)

K 3 tomorrow!

Cato

K 3 and we stagger to a finish!

In general, I find it lacking in energy, and must agree with Jo498 and McUrkneal: a "small" sound comes across at times, which can be seen as intimacy and as an introspective view, and I know that people prefer that.  The previously mentioned "energy" problem, especially in the opening movements (less of a problem later) can also be interpreted as part of an overall architectural idea, where the drama reaches its height in the Finale.  I am just not hearing a great amount of drive or intensity in the last movement.

Final list from #1 to #4:

K 1

K 2

K 4 and 5

K 3

amw

Quote from: Pat B on December 11, 2014, 03:25:07 PM
Sorry, I'm just watching the finals from the sideline. :|
Not a problem!

Since Monkey Greg also seems to be on the bench, Cato, I think you're our last voter. Results will be posted in a few hours, stay tuned!

amw

Final Results

Results were... not exactly consistent. Every recording had both admirers and detractors, and recordings that were widely praised in previous rounds were not always voted in favour of in the final round, even by the same people.

#5 - K5 = J2 = E6 = A3

K5 was awarded more distinctions than any other during the three first rounds of the competition. It received zero 'meh' and 'nay' votes, and developed a 5-point lead over the next favourite.

What happened? ???

You said:
"As it goes on, I find their playing less and less enjoyable."
"Sadly, it mostly just sounds dull, and in the louder passages positively rough."
"K5 is also quite dramatic, at times wild with "weaknesses" in the quieter sections (incl. trio) that might sometimes appear a little prosaic."
"K5 is very good, but a few too many clicks and buzzes in the cellos"

Here in the finals, K5 seems to have lost points for being too average. Everyone liked it, but found some other version more striking. Thus it ends up in the rather undignified spot of last place. A shame for the hardworking
[asin]B000NJM4IE[/asin]
Anthony Marwood, Elizabeth Wexler (vn)
James Boyd (va)
Andrea Hess, Michael Stirling (vc)

Not much to say—a digital classic. Everyone here should remember the Raphael Ensemble's sold-out world tour, culminating in the disastrous Madison Square Garden concert where Andrea Hess ODed during intermission and had to be rushed to the hospital, and the subsequent scandal when nude pictures of Anthony Marwood were leaked onto the internet. The band has since broken up but there are talks of a reunion album. In any other company, describing the Raphael Ensemble as 'prosaic' or 'dull' would seem nonsensical. Our finalists, however, are a high-strung bunch—with one notable exception, coming up next.

#4 - K3 = I4 = E1 = B7

Referred as "one of the great unknown versions of Schubert's quintet" and "who the fuck are these people anyway?", K3 has the distinction of being the most classic, old-fashioned recording of our finalists. It also has the distinction of being recorded in a realistic chamber music acoustic instead of a massive, quasi-orchestral soundstage. Predictably, opinions varied on the results.

You said:
"In general, I find it lacking in energy, and must agree with Jo498 and McUrkneal: a "small" sound comes across at times"
"I love the way this group does the crescendos – very effective. I think there are two issues for me: 1) overly bright sound, 2) no/little rubato."
"My impression of K3 held up, so I am ready to name it the winner, mostly because of emotional heft and sense of coherent structure."

It was
[asin]B0000B1A67[/asin]
(see also this listing)
Ani & Ida Kavafian (vn)
Paul Neubauer (va)
Leslie Parnas, Fred Sherry (vc)

Actually these names will not be so unfamiliar to New Yorkers, where the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center puts on concerts like this one all the time. (Fred Sherry has been a fixture on the new music scene in New York for a while, Ida Kavafian was violinist of the Beaux Arts Trio, Paul Neubauer principal violist of the NY Phil. I don't know who Leslie Parnas is, I assume someone equally important.) Still, does anyone ever talk about this recording? I'm not sure it's ever come up on GMG let alone Building a Library or Gramophone.

#3 - K4 = H3 = E5 = C3

Things are closer at the top, but this one clearly lags behind the other two.
Why? Some qualms about vibrato and 'romanticism' seem to have been the main culprits.

You said:
"A romantic approach, there's a lot of good here, but ultimately that febrile vibrato just gets on my nerves."
"vibrato in the adagio does not work for me"
"The main downside is the somewhat edgy sound and lack of really relaxed bits [...] But overall this is one of the most exciting ones I have heard during the test."
"So in the end, very nicely done, but not much fire. On the other hand, it seems like a very safe recommendation"
"K4 is a deserving champion."

It was
[asin]B001UUN9YI[/asin]
Petersen Quartet
Michael Sanderling (vc)

In the West Germany vs. East Germany battle, West takes a lead here with the Petersen Quartet defeating the Leipzig Quartet quite solidly. Michael Sanderling was clearly hedging his bets, we're thinking of disqualifying him. The last-minute substitution of Conrad Mück for Ulrike Petersen is also questionable, our judges commented that it's not called the Mück Quartet, but was permitted due to the citation of the Takács Precedent under section 27a. While not as extreme as the likes of the Hagen Quartet, the Petersens do represent the 'extreme point' of this round: the slowest Adagio, the fastest Scherzo, the most abyssal Trio. (Vibrato-haters would amend that to 'abysmal'.) I would describe this performance as close to ideal without ever really reaching it.

#2 - K2 = H1 = E7 = B8

Our 'wild card' recording, this one very nearly made it to first place, after a merely average performance in the first two rounds. Some may like it better than our finalist—certainly it also represents a more extreme/unusual reading.

You said:
"I like their ability to play softer and to really use dynamics/phrasing to advance the music. [...] Balance in the second movement isn't always ideal, but I like that this group don't really appear to hold back. Second to last movement is pretty intense, though violin sometimes overdoes it (and the staccato is sometimes overwhelming). Still, an enjoyable listen overall. "
"K2 has an odd sound/balance/dynamic overall, sometimes very beautiful sounds, but it does not hang so well together."
"Again, this is very very good, but am I convinced it's perfect? No."
"K2 is an unashamedly romantic interpretation, even down to the recording style - which I described in an earlier round as "unfortuntely in a large acoustic ... not ideal".  There is vibrato, there is sweetness, there is the occasional mannered moment"

It was
[asin]B00008FTYD[/asin]
Pavel Haas Quartet
Danjulo Ishizaka (vc)

The Pavel Haas Quartet was voted Strad Magazine's Sexiest Quartet of 2012 by a slight margin over the Chiaroscuro Quartet—apparently the female and gay male demographic turned out in higher numbers than predicted. Supraphon has done well to capitalise on this. Whether the guys are your thing, or you just have a crush on Veronika Jarůšková (my sources have advised me that all classical listeners reliably fall into one of these two categories), this CD is a good investment: even if you didn't like the performance, the booklet comes with numerous full-colour photos of the members of the quartet (and Danjulo Ishizaka) wearing very fashionable clothing and posing appropriately. Reportedly, their next album will include a calendar.

#1 - K1 = H4 = F7 = D2

Very close to K2, but three first-place votes (the most of any recording in this final round) secured it the position of winner of the D956 Blind Comparison. A controversial winner this time, though not so much due to mannerisms or eccentricity...

You said:
"romantic, but with a light touch that is very appealing. Overall none of the movements - or sections within movements - fares badly - neither is any 'best in test'."
" How could you even listen to the shrieking, screeching K1? It was painful."
"The first movement is still all that. Electrically exciting, high-contrast, high dynamic range. And then, like before, the rest is merely pretty good."
"they have a more classical period approach (as opposed to romantic), which gives it a sense of elegant nobility, rather than fire and passion."
"K 1 has an edge in the Finale with their proto-Mahlerian Keck coming out now and then!"

It was
[asin]B007X98S0A[/asin]
Arcanto Quartet
Olivier Marron (vc)

So, another recording that was considered too 'average' (and got at least one 'thumbs down'). What made it so successful where the Raphael Ensemble failed? Reviewers have rightly pointed out the powerful, unrequited lust the other four members of the ensemble feel towards Jean-Guihen Queyras as a contributing factor. However, I would argue that the deep-set unresolved sexual tension between Antje Weithaas and Tabea Zimmermann plays at least as important a role.

Thanks to everyone who participated! Also special thanks to Aukhawk for contributing the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center recording and Brian for Diotima/Gastinel and Auryn/Poltéra.

---------------------------------

Thanks also for all the feedback on the blind comparison process itself. Next time will be significantly more organised. Also shorter. Probably a lot shorter.