Blind Comparison: Schubert String Quintet D. 956 / Op. 163

Started by amw, July 24, 2014, 10:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Thanks! (And beware voters who themselves run blind comparisons >.>) Though this group should get at least one more vote, as Pim was hoping to vote as well.

Check PMs.

mc ukrneal

Group A

A1 - Good performance with lots of dynamics. I find the highs a bit too prominant and unbalanced at times, and I wish there was more transparency (perhaps a result of the sound). The picking of the strings in the middle seems so much like 'plunking' and seems crude to me. Otherwise, this is a nice perfrormance. Meh.

A2 - A more ethereal start. Good tension in the early going, though the dynamics tend to be limited at the higher end in this part. I find the tempo inconsistent as well (it takes a while to find a consistent beat). While it does start on the slower side, it picks up. And this plucking again seems to me less than ideal and a bit 'thunkish'. Tempo is more flexible in this performance (and I find it more of a minus than a plus, though it has its moments).  Meh.

A3 - Quite beautiful sound from some of the instruments. I feel the top violin is trying to do too much early on - pushes the tempo and stands out from the group instead of blending in with it (at times). Middle section is more staid, but really picks up feeling as it progresses. Yea.

A4 - Gorgeous start here. I like the balance at first, but then the top seems too prominant through most of it.  This reminds of one in the D group - same problem where loudness seems to fit between mp and mf with little outside that range. But the middle section is played better than some. Still, overall, a bit of a missed opportunity as they are technically secure. Meh.

A5 - Here we have the opposite problem, where the lower sounds are too prominant at times and actually cover over those above (though I like it this way than the other way). The top line has too much rubato and the delayed entrance is irritating (worse than one I flagged in the D group for the same offense). The middle section seems a bit too laid back. And then I hear some slight lack of unison (though soon righted).  Thumbs Down.

A6 - Nice start, though not a heart on sleeve approach. I can't quite put my finger on what is bothering me here. It's a nice version, but seems to lack contrast. Tempo may also be too rigid at times. Despite all this, the playing is quite good. I think the top line is not varying its dynamics enough. Meh

A7 - Quite a bit faster, but really focused and the playing is outstanding. This one is smoldering and finally, we have one with intensity. The sound is old, but clear and transparent for the most part. The middle section could use a hair more contrast, but it is beautifully played nonetheless. Loved it. Thumbs up!

A8 - A bit more metallic sound. The contrast between the higher pitched and lower pitched lines is quite striking. There is perhaps a bit too much accent from the upper line, but the bite is quite effective. Middle section floats nicely, but here I wish there was a better balance. Still, there is more intensity here and I like that. Yea. 

So order is A7, A3, A8, A6, A2, A1, A4, A5.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Quote from: amw on August 13, 2014, 07:56:11 PM
(And beware voters who themselves run blind comparisons >.>)

Looking forward to listening to a new group Friday or Saturday!

Brian

Group A!

I'm wandering into controversy here. Ray's favorite was Jo's "meh"; Jo's favorite was Ray's "meh"; and Ray hated Neal's favorite. This should be good and confusing!

A1. Older recording, with several badly-done edits by the engineer. That said, this is a very good performance, especially affecting when the cellos perfectly play the Big Tune. Other folks have commented that this is slow, but I could handle slower.

A2. Interesting how around 1:30 the performers get quieter instead of louder (momentarily). I love the cellists' vibrato-free transition into the vibrato-laden Big Tune. That is quite a special touch. However, in other ways, this performance seems very "normal" and I can't really say that it stands out.

A3. I think this is in my collection, but still have no clue which one it is.  ;D Again, not terribly unique, but I'm head over heels in love with the tender, fragile way they play the Big Tune, and everything else is well done too.

A4. Gorgeous opening. Problematic sound quality with the watery reverb. Wow, a huge dynamic range from this ensemble, rivaling C7 in how loud/quiet they can go. Excellent. Sorry, Ray, but I really like this one.

A5. I'm starting to reach the point where I've heard so many good performances that I'm looking for something special in them now, instead of something acceptable. Am I doing it wrong? This is only round 1, after all, and there's a lot of music yet to be played. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with this recording for me, and a few things that are very right, so I guess I'll put it under "liked" instead of "whatevs".

A6. And this is more in the category of perfectly good, but not sending me as much. More contrast!

A7. Snap, crackle, pop! This one is also much faster - and it's impassioned! I love the hectic exit from the Big Tune. I would never think of playing it this way, or listening to it this way, without a comparison game, but that's what these are for. This one may exit the competition with a low score when we get to the second movement.

A8. Papery recorded sound, thin and harsh, with lots of breathing. God, that GIF of Conan bowing is REALLY distracting me because it keeps repeating right below the "Post" button. Anyway, the Big Tune is just too fast for me in the context of the rest of the performance. Meh.

8) EXTRA SPECIAL!:
:) I LIKED 'EM: A1, A3, A4, A5, A7
:-\ WHATEVS: A2, A6, A8
??? DO NOT WANT:

Ooops... I didn't love or hate any. Sorry!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on August 16, 2014, 06:40:37 AM
Group A!

I'm wandering into controversy here. Ray's favorite was Jo's "meh"; Jo's favorite was Ray's "meh"; and Ray hated Neal's favorite. This should be good and confusing!

A1. Older recording, with several badly-done edits by the engineer. That said, this is a very good performance, especially affecting when the cellos perfectly play the Big Tune. Other folks have commented that this is slow, but I could handle slower.

A2. Interesting how around 1:30 the performers get quieter instead of louder (momentarily). I love the cellists' vibrato-free transition into the vibrato-laden Big Tune. That is quite a special touch. However, in other ways, this performance seems very "normal" and I can't really say that it stands out.

A3. I think this is in my collection, but still have no clue which one it is.  ;D Again, not terribly unique, but I'm head over heels in love with the tender, fragile way they play the Big Tune, and everything else is well done too.

A4. Gorgeous opening. Problematic sound quality with the watery reverb. Wow, a huge dynamic range from this ensemble, rivaling C7 in how loud/quiet they can go. Excellent. Sorry, Ray, but I really like this one.

A5. I'm starting to reach the point where I've heard so many good performances that I'm looking for something special in them now, instead of something acceptable. Am I doing it wrong? This is only round 1, after all, and there's a lot of music yet to be played. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with this recording for me, and a few things that are very right, so I guess I'll put it under "liked" instead of "whatevs".

A6. And this is more in the category of perfectly good, but not sending me as much. More contrast!

A7. Snap, crackle, pop! This one is also much faster - and it's impassioned! I love the hectic exit from the Big Tune. I would never think of playing it this way, or listening to it this way, without a comparison game, but that's what these are for. This one may exit the competition with a low score when we get to the second movement.

A8. Papery recorded sound, thin and harsh, with lots of breathing. God, that GIF of Conan bowing is REALLY distracting me because it keeps repeating right below the "Post" button. Anyway, the Big Tune is just too fast for me in the context of the rest of the performance. Meh.

8) EXTRA SPECIAL!:
:) I LIKED 'EM: A1, A3, A4, A5, A7
:-\ WHATEVS: A2, A6, A8
??? DO NOT WANT:

Ooops... I didn't love or hate any. Sorry!

This is fun!  I like that we have are all over the place with the Group A opinions and yays, mehs and nays!  :D

amw

Yes, Group A is turning out to be somewhat of a bloodbath—every recording has scored above a "meh" so far with no clear consensus. The same is true of Group D, but it has a clear first/second place near-tie* and a clear last place; only Group B has anything approaching a consensus (B7 is definitely in, B4 is definitely out and B1 has yet to receive anything other than a "meh").

Thank you Brian & mc ukrneal. Incidentally your comments have triggered my first unknowing-irony-related *snrk*, no spoilers though. ;)

* Incidentally, both of these recordings demonstrate a certain kind of approach to Schubert which not everyone will enjoy so much—perhaps Group D is a biased sample $:)

Jay F

Quote from: amw on August 16, 2014, 03:43:07 PMThe same is true of Group D, but it has a clear first/second place near-tie*
[...[
* Incidentally, both of these recordings demonstrate a certain kind of approach to Schubert which not everyone will enjoy so much—perhaps Group D is a biased sample $:)
I can't wait to know what recordings these are, and what you mean by "a biased sample."

amw

Based on what people have said about the ensembles featured in D2 and D3 I wasn't expecting them to take the lead, is all. (Similarly, based on what people have said about B6 I wasn't expecting it to be in danger of elimination.) It's hard for me to tell whether that consensus will last if more people vote in group D. (The accusation of bias was tongue-in-cheek, of course)

Cato

Quote from: amw on August 16, 2014, 10:24:00 PM
Based on what people have said about the ensembles featured in D2 and D3 I wasn't expecting them to take the lead, is all. (Similarly, based on what people have said about B6 I wasn't expecting it to be in danger of elimination.) It's hard for me to tell whether that consensus will last if more people vote in group D. (The accusation of bias was tongue-in-cheek, of course)

:D  Heh-heh!

So who else needs to vote?  I am ready for part 2!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

amw

This is where the votes are at now:

Group A

ChamberNut
A6
A5, A3, A2
A1, A4
A7, A8
___Jo498
A4
A8, A5, A7, A3, A1
A2, A6
___
mc ukrneal
A7
A3, A8
A6, A2, A1, A4
A5
___
Brian
A1, A3, A4, A5, A7
A2, A6, A8

Group B

aukhawk
B7
B2, B8
B5, B1, B6, B3
B4
___yeongil
B2
B5, B7, B3
B8, B6, B1, B4
___trung224
B7
B5, B3, B8
B2, B4, B6, B1

Group C

Jeffrey Smith
C2, C6
C1, C3, C4, C8
C5, C7
___GSMoeller
C3
C6, C4, C1
C5, C7
C2, C8
___
Brian
C7
C3, C4, C6
C1, C5, C8
C2

Group D

Jay F
D3
D5, D7, D2
D6, D4, D1, D8
___mc ukrneal
D2
D3, D6, D8
D1, D5, D4
D7
___Cato
D8
D3, D2, D1
D4, D5, D7, D6

Those who've indicated a desire to vote, but haven't been able to yet, include Pat B in Group A, Jo498 (possibly) in Group B, Pim in Group C,  and yeongil in Group D. Moonfish and king ubu were among the participants PMed at the start but unfortunately don't seem to have found the time or ability to listen (however, if one of them does show up last minute with results I will count them).

We will be moving on on the 25th. If anyone else does want to do a second group before then feel free. (The only group where another listener may be needed is B, as Jo498 indicated he was going on holiday and might not have time to listen. However, Group B's results are the most clear-cut of all four groups, so I would be willing to close it at only three votes if there is no alternative.)

amw

How are people doing for time? Any further extensions wanted?

Brahmsian

Quote from: amw on August 21, 2014, 04:08:04 PM

I say bang the gavel!  :D

Jay F

I am ready to move to step two.

Cato

Quote from: Jay F on August 21, 2014, 05:11:07 PM
I am ready to move to step two.

Amen!   0:)

I wonder if any arrangement for a string orchestra has been recorded, as has happened with Schoenberg's Verklaerte Nacht, or for a full orchestra, as with the Brahms Piano Quartet (orchestrated by Schoenberg ).

amw

Cato

Quote from: amw on August 22, 2014, 03:14:44 PM
Yes, there's one by Gidon Kremer.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Medici%2BArts/3072238

I've never heard it myself.

Many thanks!  I am intrigued by one line in a review from the BBC Music Magazine of June 2009: the website carries the quotation.

"A brilliantly played concert, although the Schubert Quintet arrangement is disconcerting."
:o 

No explanation as to why it is "disconcerting."

yeongil

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 21, 2014, 05:02:50 PM
I say bang the gavel!  :D
Nooooooo.... wait for me!!!!  :-[  No time to write comments; I'll just post my scores (out of 10):

D3 - 8.8 (distinction award)

D2 - 8.4
D6 - 8.1

D8 - 7.4
D1 - 7.3
D7 - 7.2
D4 - 6.8
D5 - 6.4

amw

Thank you! This closes Group D and confirms the eliminations: D4, D5, D7. Their identities will be revealed this Monday.

On another (more spoilery  ::) ) note, unless one of the remaining voters manages to score an upset, it looks like we will be bidding a sad farewell to two of the most famous Adagios on record quite soon.

Pim

Last minute (not bothering therefore with font color) thoughts & votes

C1 Nothing much to say Meh

C2 Thinner sound, but great musicality, first violin makes me listen & hear nice details. Yea

C3 starts slower than the previous two, more reverb in sound (but still ok). Rubato, e.g. around 70-71, I like. The Pizz is clear, speeding up around 100 is nice , but the 120 down scale is done better in C2. Yea

C4 celli are quite prominent (perhaps a bit too much, even in this quintet), not much that caught my ear, just fine but nothing more.

C5, I love the fragility of the sound and playing, nothing demonstrative or boisterous here, the celli and violin 'duets' are beautifully singing. Wonderful.

C6 Nothing special, 2nd cello pizz. is sometimes barely audible, a bit rushed.

C7 A bit dancelike (spritzy?) in the beginning, delicate throughout, e.g. the viola figure starting at 127, but for me not captivating enough to be distinctive, hence a Yea.

C8 A bit like C1 for me, in the sense that I find little to comment upon. A Meh.

So (and all relatively speaking of course, I'd be happy to hear any Meh again):
C5 Yea & Distinction,
C2 Yea, C3 Yea, C7 Yea,
C1 Meh, C4 Meh, C6 Meh, C8 Meh

Thanks for organising & the extension!

amw

Thank you Pim!

The Group C eliminations are now confirmed as C1, C2 and C8.