Building a Collection

Started by Appy34, August 23, 2014, 06:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: amw on October 30, 2014, 12:32:24 AM
24bit/88+khz quality—better than redbook CD—is on offer for selected titles at eClassical, Qobuz, Channel Classics & others. Usually more expensive, and I can't tell the difference myself, but if you're an audiophile it's likely to be preferable.
I'm sure it gives an audiophile a warm and fuzzy feeling, but there's really no rational need for anything beyond redbook1, aside from multichannel.

I agree that it's not really worth downloading MP3s unless the prices are really good (e.g. the Taneyev Quartet's complete Schubert cycle, which shares the spot of second best Schubert cycle with the Auryns in my estimation, and which I got for $5). But proper CD quality downloads are much easier to come by legitimately these days than they were, say, five years ago. No reason to prefer CDs for me when the cost of shipping is usually much higher.
True, except I tend to see music cheaper on CD's. And I also like having the hard copy, it's more tangible and makes it more likely that I'll listen to the music than just downloading a file on my computer would. And then there's the feeling of getting the package in a mailbox, or the possible excuse to have a walk in the outdoors if it's something that doesn't fit in the mailbox. Not that rational or ecological, I know..  :-\
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Jo498

I agree that it's not really worth downloading MP3s unless the prices are really good (e.g. the Taneyev Quartet's complete Schubert cycle, which shares the spot of second best Schubert cycle with the Auryns in my estimation, and which I got for $5).
I'd probably get something like this for $5 (because it's the only practical way to get it), but I doubt it was ever so cheap in Europe and now it is about 7-9 EUR per "disc" which is ridiculous for a download, IMO. I have three problems with downloads: They are often way too expensive, my setup is such that I tend not to listen to them anyway and I am a little fetishist who likes to generally have physical discs.

What's your favorite Schubert SQ complete recording, Leipzig?
I am afraid I do not care enough about the early stuff to get more than the Auryn I already have, but I would probably download a complete Taneyev for <10 EUR out of general interest, but not at >30 EUR for 5 virtual discs with below CD quality files.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

Quote from: Jo498 on October 30, 2014, 07:36:52 AM
What's your favorite Schubert SQ complete recording, Leipzig?
Yes.
I am afraid I do not care enough about the early stuff to get more than the Auryn I already have, but I would probably download a complete Taneyev for <10 EUR out of general interest, but not at >30 EUR for 5 virtual discs with below CD quality files.
Yes, only time I'd spend €30 for that is if Melodiya re-releases the CDs (perhaps remastered). The cheap prices seem to have been US only, I have a postal box address there but had to trick Amazon into thinking my computer was physically located in America in order to buy.

edit: hey, Qobuz is offering them for €15, in CD quality. http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/the-complete-string-quartets-of-franz-schubert-/0886788194397 Artists uncredited, no booklet or anything. Real easy to find. ::)

The Taneyevs are actually very good in the early quartets, & the Rosamunde—all of which I prefer them to the Auryns in—but Death and the Maiden loses something without its repeats, and their predilection for extreme tempi lets them down somewhat in the G major whose first movement and scherzo are definitely a bit rushed, and whose last movement is definitely a bit too slow. That's my 10-second assessment anyway, others here might have more detailed comments. Definitely more than just a curiosity, though. And definitely preferable to Melos and Verdi. ;)

Ken B

Quote from: bigshot on October 16, 2014, 10:45:18 PM
When I started out, I targeted specific conductors and bought records one at a time. But if I was starting out today, I would dive into boxes. The stuff I carefully picked and chose is now in mega boxes for pennies.

Exactly. If you are starting out then just line up a bunch of the big boxes and go for it. It almost doesn't matter as long as you get a mix, and a lot of them!

Appy34

I like the Spotify idea. I would still buy the discs (or downloads) of the performances I enjoy. However, being able to listen before buying would save you a lot of money in the long run.

NorthNYMark

Quote from: Ken B on October 30, 2014, 04:33:08 PM
Exactly. If you are starting out then just line up a bunch of the big boxes and go for it. It almost doesn't matter as long as you get a mix, and a lot of them!

This is actually how I got started a few short years ago--first, the Decca box, then the DG 111 pt. 2, then Mercury Living Presence, then the Philips set.  I have the second Decca and Living Presence sets, but have barely made a dent in them.  Overall, I think the Decca, DG, and Philips sets provide a high quality and fairly broad introduction to a big swath of the "standard repertoire." Of course, listeners are likely to supplement them with more from the composers and performers that especially pique their interests.

NorthNYMark

Quote from: Appy34 on November 01, 2014, 11:00:16 AM
I like the Spotify idea. I would still buy the discs (or downloads) of the performances I enjoy. However, being able to listen before buying would save you a lot of money in the long run.

And this is what has become my primary listening and buying strategy since last Christmas, when I subscribed to MOG  (a Spotify competitor that has now become the unfortunately-named Beats Music) after losing my ipod while traveling. I was able to use MOG with my partner's device, and was amazed that it contained not only most of my personal collection, but an endless supply of recordings including most of what gets discussed in these threads (far, far more than Youtube, for example).  It is great for trying out new composers and works, as well as comparing dozens of performances of the same work when that is desirable. Because one never knows when a record company might revoke the rights, or when I might decide to cancel the service, or even when I might want to play the music over my full-sized speakers, I still buy the CDs of those performances that most impress me.  But I now almost never have to buy "blind."

jWags818

I started out buying CDs that were recommended to me by my violin teacher and a friend I have online. After I started gaining an understanding of what I liked I branched out a bit. I am also an audiophile and I have a great headphone system at work which is where I do 98% of my listening. I bought a Marantz SA8004 a couple years ago that plays SACD as well as red book. I find I always look for new music on SACD first. When dealing with orchestral music redbook cd's sound congested when the music peaks in volume. It becomes hard to tell the different instruments apart. Where as SACD when the recording is good gives you outstanding resolution and detail even at high peak volume levels. It gives me goosebumps even after having this system for many years. It shows off the conductors hard work much better as all the details they work so hard to create get delivered to the listener in all its glory.
I catalog all my music using Orange CD and I think I am up to 570ish titles.
75.6% Red Book
16.3% SACD
7.1% CD Box Sets
.9% FLAC studio master files
one XRCD title.

Jeff

San Antone

Quote from: Appy34 on August 23, 2014, 06:51:13 AM
Looking back when you began building a music collection, did you focus primarily on cost or finding the best available recording? Did you purchase single discs or boxed sets?

I have been listening to classical for about six years and I've acquired about 100 titles. At first, I purchased based on recommendations. I then switched to box sets to increase the number of performances I had faster.

I think both methods have their advantages and disadvantages, but I was curious in knowing how others felt about it.

Between Spotify and Wikipedia you can gather a lot of information to guide you in building a personal music library.

Chris L.

Quote from: NorthNYMark on November 01, 2014, 11:51:20 AM
This is actually how I got started a few short years ago--first, the Decca box, then the DG 111 pt. 2, then Mercury Living Presence, then the Philips set.  I have the second Decca and Living Presence sets, but have barely made a dent in them.  Overall, I think the Decca, DG, and Philips sets provide a high quality and fairly broad introduction to a big swath of the "standard repertoire." Of course, listeners are likely to supplement them with more from the composers and performers that especially pique their interests.
Box sets are great, and I'm building a pretty good collection pretty fast and on the cheap with them. The main drawback about some boxes though is the lack of notes and info. I find it very interesting to read about the music, the history, the composers, performers, etc. and you just don't get much of that with a lot of box sets. If they can't provide a real booklet due to costs they should at least have them on a CD-ROM, and some of the boxes I've bought are including those. I wish they all did. I like to get different takes on the music and not have to keep going back to Wikipedia for their "one size fits all" approach.

bachner

I recently started to build a collection and decided to go by composer. Not necessarily in alphabetic order but Bach first. I recently heard Wagner's Tristan:Prelude & Liebestodt conducted by Toscanini and really enjoyed that so I might explore Wagner next.

James The 1st

I pretty much exclusively buy downloads from Amazon or Arkiv if they have it cheaper. Once you start getting above 192 bit rate for mp3s, it sounds good enough for me. I pretty much just buy stuff from Naxos, Chandos and Hyperion these days since I pretty much of most of the stuff by the greats. Even though Amazon doesn't give you their notes, it's pretty easy to get them from Classics online.
I like the idea of having a nice bookshelve with CDs, but it's much easier to just have everything on a hard drive.

Karl Henning

Quote from: bachner on August 04, 2015, 08:26:09 AM
I recently started to build a collection and decided to go by composer. Not necessarily in alphabetic order but Bach first. I recently heard Wagner's Tristan:Prelude & Liebestodt conducted by Toscanini and really enjoyed that so I might explore Wagner next.

Quote from: James The 1st on August 10, 2015, 06:46:45 PM
I pretty much exclusively buy downloads from Amazon or Arkiv if they have it cheaper. Once you start getting above 192 bit rate for mp3s, it sounds good enough for me. I pretty much just buy stuff from Naxos, Chandos and Hyperion these days since I pretty much of most of the stuff by the greats. Even though Amazon doesn't give you their notes, it's pretty easy to get them from Classics online.
I like the idea of having a nice bookshelve with CDs, but it's much easier to just have everything on a hard drive.

Welcome, both!  "Everything on a hard drive" really is a miraculous convenience (now if I can only get the rest of my CDs "reduced" to mp3s . . . ."

Where in So Carolina?  I have a brother in Columbia.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Monsieur Croche

My habit / 'method' is to purchase single recordings, perhaps two different performances of the same piece, tops, and owning any box sets is an extreme rarity.

Choice is often based upon the orchestra and conductor, sometimes the label counts too, and if a soloist or soloists are involved I get what I think is the best overall performance of the work, taking in to account the whole ensemble.

I really find the mentality of accumulating something like upwards of twenty different box sets of, say the Beethoven symphonies, or over time having acquired near as many of each symphony in single recordings, beyond just a little odd, and do not at all buy the rationale that 'it is nice to have so many varied interpretations'; I believe something very different is driving that car, and don't think it the best driver, either.

All this has me more than not at all qualified as 'a collector.'

For the beginner, I strongly advise to slowly and over a greater length of time be willing to spend a bit more, purchase the single recordings and to not buy box sets, especially as part of the initial foray.  Selecting one or several pieces and getting really familiar with them takes time, and the listener will then have a much better sense of which directions they want explore after that.

I think it a rather fine line between collecting for both edification and the pleasure to be had in the listening, and an entirely different dynamic more to do with a near to obsessive acquisitiveness.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Spineur

I am onto my third collection !!
There was the LP (and cassette) era.  This was the hard an heroic one: student without much money, trying to get the best for the buck !!  This was excellent training, teaching me to be rigourous in your choices...
Then there was the CD era.  This was the easiest one.  I had landed a fat paying job and I was laying my hands on everything I could find.
An now, its the high-res collection.  I go often to concerts and operas and let me tell you: when coming back home after a marvelous performance, you put the CD of what you heard, and the letdown is immense (in french: on se sent très dépité).  Why  ? easy to undersand: with 16 bits you can restitute faifully two sounds which have a difference of 100 in intensities.  In a concert hall, its more like 1000 or more.  Furthermore, the sound spatialization is lost, and I am no talking with the perception of the stage.
So nothing replaces live music.  CONCERTS, CONCERTS, ETC....  Of course, its also more expensive.  But life is short, so lets enjoy it and blow away !!!