What is this "sheet" music?

Started by Brian, August 31, 2014, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Spotted here in Dallas. Anyone know what it is?

listener

Scott JOPLIN:  Maple Leaf Rag,  2nd page
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

EigenUser

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2014, 03:55:48 PM
I was going to guess Joplin, but I wouldn't have known the piece.

How about this one? Makes me realize I need to hear it again sometime soon.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Luke

...logging in after many, many months years away, hope all you lovely people are well....

Ravel, Gaspard de la nuit

Karl Henning

Hoy, lad!  Great to see you;  I've not had much luck with the phone the last several times trying you.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Luke

Karl! No, you probably wouldn't have - my mobile was stolen from a petrol station a couple of months ago, and I moved house a few days later, so the landline is different too. I can PM them to you, though...

You know why I haven't been here, simply busy-ness and a general lack of the time needed to allow myself to get as engrossed here as I would like to be.  But I check in, very regularly, and I certainly miss the old days, badly. I still hope and believe that the time will come when I feel able to loiter around these parts again!

But really - a Ravel score? I couldn't leave that one hanging!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Luke on September 02, 2014, 09:00:07 AM
Karl! No, you probably wouldn't have - my mobile was stolen from a petrol station a couple of months ago, and I moved house a few days later, so the landline is different too. I can PM them to you, though...

Do, with all convenient speed :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Luke on September 02, 2014, 09:00:07 AM
But really - a Ravel score? I couldn't leave that one hanging!

Ah-hah!  Enticement!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

Quote from: Luke on September 02, 2014, 08:53:41 AM
...logging in after many, many months years away, hope all you lovely people are well....

Ravel, Gaspard de la nuit
Woah, you're that mystery score legend! That game was the reason I joined GMG, but no one really wanted to play anymore :'(.

Of course, you are correct 8).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Luke

I've never been a legend before! 8)  I could get used to that.

That thread was epic, as my son would say. Ah, memories! Those were the days when I could give these things the time they deserve, and that thread was pretty addictive, to me.

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2014, 03:55:48 PM

It's strange how often The Maple Leaf seems to be chosen when a graphic designer requires a slab of 'sheet music' to fill a space on wallpaper or wrapping paper and thereby to stand in for the concept of 'music' (though I've never seen it on a wall, as Brian did  :o ). A staggering example I saw earlier this year - I even took a photo on my phone, which I would post here, but it was the phone which got stolen - was an Easter card, all the cliches in place, daffodils, frothy lacy trimmings, a delicate line drawing of an old English church, and then, just to emphasize that one should also be imagining the gentle wafts of organ music drifting across the churchyard, a faint underlay of Joplin. How appropriate...

Karl Henning

A passing maple leaf was wafted along . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Luke

...not this, but this kind of thing (closest I could find):

(That's Mendelssohn, I believe, a Lied ohne Worte)

Makes me feel queasy, this sort of thing!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

Quote from: Luke on September 02, 2014, 10:40:03 AM
I've never been a legend before! 8)  I could get used to that.

That thread was epic, as my son would say. Ah, memories! Those were the days when I could give these things the time they deserve, and that thread was pretty addictive, to me.

It's strange how often The Maple Leaf seems to be chosen when a graphic designer requires a slab of 'sheet music' to fill a space on wallpaper or wrapping paper and thereby to stand in for the concept of 'music' (though I've never seen it on a wall, as Brian did  :o ). A staggering example I saw earlier this year - I even took a photo on my phone, which I would post here, but it was the phone which got stolen - was an Easter card, all the cliches in place, daffodils, frothy lacy trimmings, a delicate line drawing of an old English church, and then, just to emphasize that one should also be imagining the gentle wafts of organ music drifting across the churchyard, a faint underlay of Joplin. How appropriate...
That was fun reading through last summer (2013). That was when I started really taking an effort to listen to new things instead of just replaying favorites. That would be mostly thanks to the mystery score thread and your interesting choices. That was the first time I ever saw the name 'Feldman', too. So, thanks!

That's pretty funny -- Joplin on an Easter card! When I graduated from high school five years ago my friend gave me a 1000-piece puzzle of a string quartet. It took me four years to realize that it was a Beethoven SQ! :o :-[ :blank: I think it is 14 or 15. I have it hanging on my wall in my music room.

[asin]B0002HY5W0[/asin]

Luke

Sympathy cards....here's what I just found. Facepalm time:

(Vivaldi, Spring...)

(Bach, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, I think, but upside down)

There are others....

Luke

Quote from: EigenUser on September 02, 2014, 10:53:43 AM
That was fun reading through last summer (2013). That was when I started really taking an effort to listen to new things instead of just replaying favorites. That would be mostly thanks to the mystery score thread and your interesting choices. That was the first time I ever saw the name 'Feldman', too. So, thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks are due, it's easy to forget, to Sean. He started the ball rolling, IIRC.

QuoteThat's pretty funny -- Joplin on an Easter card! When I graduated from high school five years ago my friend gave me a 1000-piece puzzle of a string quartet. It took me four years to realize that it was a Beethoven SQ! :o :-[ :blank: I think it is 14 or 15. I have it hanging on my wall in my music room.

[asin]B0002HY5W0[/asin]

Yes, that's the 'Feeling New Strength' section of the Heiliger Dankgesang from the A minor. Magical.

Luke

Last one - worst of all, perhaps, is when notation is used nonsensically, because, well, it's only music, isn't it, it can't really matter how you write it down.

Amongst all the howlers here (howlers isn't even the word, they aren't even mistakes, they are abominations for which there is no category) I particularly love the little floating sharp sign...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Luke

Not yet, neither you nor I. It takes a Beethoven to be on a roll:

I'm not so sure Elise would have been so keen if it had arrived in that form....

Karl Henning

In that wise, may neither of us ever be on a spool!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA