Takemitsu: Sounds as intense as silence

Started by bwv 1080, July 25, 2007, 06:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: jessop on June 19, 2017, 05:47:43 AM
This is good ;D make sure to get his guitar music too!
Yes!
[asin]B00IO56T76[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

nodogen

Yes, I shall be getting both his guitar and solo piano music I think. 😃

Robert101

ComposerOfAvantGarde

And that is one of my favourite discs of guitar music ever. ;D

bwv 1080

Another good recording of the guitar works

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I lack any Takemitsu in my collection. What are 1 or 2 recommendable recordings?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

bwv 1080

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 06, 2018, 08:47:40 AM
I lack any Takemitsu in my collection. What are 1 or 2 recommendable recordings?

if you like guitar music, the disc above you

Also this is a good place to start with the orchestral music

Draško

Orchestral, chamber and traditional Japanese.

lescamil

Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Mahlerian

Quote from: bwv 1080 on July 06, 2018, 08:58:19 AM
if you like guitar music, the disc above you

Also this is a good place to start with the orchestral music

I disagree.  I think the Brilliant Classics compilation is far preferable in terms of performance quality to that Naxos disc.  Draško's choices are not bad for a starter collection, though I als would recommend this disc for chamber works:
[asin]B0006VXF3C[/asin]
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

bwv 1080

Quote from: Mahlerian on July 07, 2018, 03:46:44 AM
I disagree.  I think the Brilliant Classics compilation is far preferable in terms of performance quality to that Naxos disc. 

The Naxos disc is a fine recording but not familiar with the Brilliant, available here only as an import it looks like.  The Brilliant does not look to have any of the work from the 70s, Flock Descends being both one of my favorite pieces and his most 'important'.

Here is another good disc of orchestral music, with the 1957 Requiem combined with two late works

snyprrr

How bout that Knussen disc on Virgin?

Either that, or 'Quotation of Dream' on DG, also with Knussen, I believe.

Those two, or the 'Gemeaux' CD on Denon would be my top three.

...maybe Viola Concerto on Philips, with an early,Japanese work...

vers la flamme

Bump for a great composer...?

I've just started listening to Takemitsu a little bit. I have a couple discs that feature short works of his in addition to works of other composers, and this is my first real exposure to his work. I like what I'm hearing. Reminds me a lot of Debussy, Messiaen, and Scriabin. All I've heard is the Rain Tree Sketch for piano and To the Edge of Dream for guitar and orchestra. As a guitarist I like that he has written so extensively for the guitar. I'm planning on picking up his solo guitar music, as well as his solo piano music. Additionally, all of the Naxos discs with his music look great. I'll try and get my hands on one or two of them to start to explore this composer's music.

As for the piano music, which really interests me, I'm quite torn. I've been sampling two discs, Noriko Ogawa on BIS:

... and Kotaro Fukuma on Naxos:

From the samples, both sound great, with Ogawa sounding a little more mellow, and Fukuma offering a somewhat more tangible approach, for lack of a better term. I think I prefer what I've heard of the Fukuma, though I've read that Ogawa had worked together with the composer during his lifetime, and from this I think it's safe to assume that she may offer a more "authentic" vision of the composer's music. Ah, I don't know. Like I said, I'm torn. They're both going for about the same price, which is a rare occurrence with a Naxos disc and a BIS disc. I have a feeling I'll end up with both of them a few months or years down the line.

Any opinions to perhaps sway me toward one team or the other?

More importantly, who has been listening to Takemitsu as of late?

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 15, 2020, 03:29:28 PM
Bump for a great composer...?

I've just started listening to Takemitsu a little bit. I have a couple discs that feature short works of his in addition to works of other composers, and this is my first real exposure to his work. I like what I'm hearing. Reminds me a lot of Debussy, Messiaen, and Scriabin. All I've heard is the Rain Tree Sketch for piano and To the Edge of Dream for guitar and orchestra. As a guitarist I like that he has written so extensively for the guitar. I'm planning on picking up his solo guitar music, as well as his solo piano music. Additionally, all of the Naxos discs with his music look great. I'll try and get my hands on one or two of them to start to explore this composer's music.

As for the piano music, which really interests me, I'm quite torn. I've been sampling two discs, Noriko Ogawa on BIS:

... and Kotaro Fukuma on Naxos:

From the samples, both sound great, with Ogawa sounding a little more mellow, and Fukuma offering a somewhat more tangible approach, for lack of a better term. I think I prefer what I've heard of the Fukuma, though I've read that Ogawa had worked together with the composer during his lifetime, and from this I think it's safe to assume that she may offer a more "authentic" vision of the composer's music. Ah, I don't know. Like I said, I'm torn. They're both going for about the same price, which is a rare occurrence with a Naxos disc and a BIS disc. I have a feeling I'll end up with both of them a few months or years down the line.

Any opinions to perhaps sway me toward one team or the other?

More importantly, who has been listening to Takemitsu as of late?

Takemitsu is one of my favorite composers. I've loved his music for many years now. As for the solo piano music, you really can't go wrong with Ogawa or Fukuma, especially considering you mentioned they were both the same price. I'd really just flip a coin and see what recording wins, but, for me, I like Fukuma's playing more because it has a bit more bite to it, which, in this kind of music, you need some edge to the performance. The guitar music is definitely worth looking into as well. As for the chamber music, you can go wrong with the Naxos recording with the Toronto New Music Ensemble. A fine disc. For the orchestral music, if you can find it (or if it's still in-print), then the Brilliant Classics 2-CD set should fit the bill. This Brilliant set contains performances that were initially released on Denon. I own all of the Denon recordings, because I'm kind of stickler for finding the original issue of recordings (if I can). Another essential recording is his soundtrack to the film, Ran. Basically, it's Takemitsu channeling his inner Mahlerian as there are hints of Das Lied von der Erde in it. Also, if you can find any of the discs with Knussen or Ozawa conducting for a good price, jump on them --- they're top-drawer.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 15, 2020, 06:45:21 PM
Takemitsu is one of my favorite composers. I've loved his music for many years now. As for the solo piano music, you really can't go wrong with Ogawa or Fukuma, especially considering you mentioned they were both the same price. I'd really just flip a coin and see what recording wins, but, for me, I like Fukuma's playing more because it has a bit more bite to it, which, in this kind of music, you need some edge to the performance. The guitar music is definitely worth looking into as well. As for the chamber music, you can go wrong with the Naxos recording with the Toronto New Music Ensemble. A fine disc. For the orchestral music, if you can find it (or if it's still in-print), then the Brilliant Classics 2-CD set should fit the bill. This Brilliant set contains performances that were initially released on Denon. I own all of the Denon recordings, because I'm kind of stickler for finding the original issue of recordings (if I can). Another essential recording is his soundtrack to the film, Ran. Basically, it's Takemitsu channeling his inner Mahlerian as there are hints of Das Lied von der Erde in it. Also, if you can find any of the discs with Knussen or Ozawa conducting for a good price, jump on them --- they're top-drawer.

Thank you for the recommendations. I think you've confirmed my first impressions regarding Fukuma vs. Ogawa. I just ordered the Toronto New Music Ensemble disc. Ah, so much flute-driven chamber music, it's awesome. I'll also seek out the Brilliant 2cd and the guitar music. I think I'll be set for a while, between all of that.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 16, 2020, 03:18:42 AM
Thank you for the recommendations. I think you've confirmed my first impressions regarding Fukuma vs. Ogawa. I just ordered the Toronto New Music Ensemble disc. Ah, so much flute-driven chamber music, it's awesome. I'll also seek out the Brilliant 2cd and the guitar music. I think I'll be set for a while, between all of that.

No problem. Hope you enjoy the music.

steve ridgway

I've acquired a few albums recently, quite varied music but am generally enjoying and wanting to become more familiar with it.

[asin] B000I8OFYG[/asin]

[asin] B00KNCEHC2[/asin]

[asin] B000090WAR[/asin]

[asin] B000U7V99Y[/asin]

[asin] B0006VXF3C[/asin]

[asin] B0006VXF32[/asin]

[asin] B00TQNMCDU[/asin]

Uhor

I've made a poll on all his chamber works at the polling station. Besides that, I'm quite enjoying the orchestral work 'Twill by Twilight' which I used to find dull. Devil's in the details.