Your favourite composer of orchestral music

Started by amw, September 15, 2014, 11:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite composer of symphonies, overtures, concertos, tone poems, etc.

Mozart
2 (6.3%)
Haydn
3 (9.4%)
Beethoven
6 (18.8%)
Mahler
4 (12.5%)
Bruckner
2 (6.3%)
Dvořák
2 (6.3%)
Shostakovich
2 (6.3%)
other (specify)
11 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

amw

Just for balance ;)

Haydn is an easy top pick for me due to the sheer wealth of variety and invention in his symphonic output, but Dvořák runs him a close second in spite of some weaker early works.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

prémont

Quote from: amw on September 15, 2014, 11:53:25 PM
Just for balance ;)

You have to make the definition more clear.
What is orchestral music?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

amw

Anything for a large (relative to the time period) number of instrumentalists, usually involving more than one player to a part.

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

prémont

Quote from: amw on September 16, 2014, 01:48:12 AM
Anything for a large (relative to the time period) number of instrumentalists, usually involving more than one player to a part.

Which time period?

And even in late romantic and modern music the "wind supply" is usually meant to be one player per part.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

amw

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 16, 2014, 02:18:26 AM
Which time period?
Any time period, though I don't know that there would be many qualifying instances before the 17th century.

And even in late romantic and modern music the "wind supply" is usually meant to be one player per part.
Yes it's typically the strings that have more than one player to a part. However there are also wind orchestras (concert bands, etc) with multiple players to each part and I like to be inclusive. ;)

EigenUser

Give me a break!

Right now:
1. Bartok (never changes!)
2/3. Ligeti/Ravel (they are both 2 AND 3 -- no order!)
4. Messiaen -- some of his music makes me almost literally jump for joy, particularly Trois Petites Liturgies, the Turangalila-Symphonie, and many parts of Des Canyons aux Etoiles.
5. Hmmmm... could go a few ways, here. Seems to alternate between Haydn, Schumann, Debussy, sometimes Mahler...

If you asked me who I am currently listening to the most, Bartok wouldn't be on this list. I've heard enough Bartok to last quite a while. But, most of my musical tastes seem to be based off of elements in his writing, which explains why he is always going to remain 1st. "Top listening" for orchestral would be Messiaen, then probably Ligeti. Then maybe Haydn, but I haven't listened to a Haydn symphony in a few weeks. I think I'll change that later today.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Sergeant Rock

Mahler/Bruckner. They've been paired in my mind for 50 years. I refuse to split them up now  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on September 16, 2014, 12:51:03 AM
Sibelius

+1

Jean gets my vote as well!

The symphonies and tone poems alone are perfection in orchestral music. Not a duff moment in any of these works.

Florestan

QuoteFavourite composer of symphonies

Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Rachmaninoff

Quoteovertures
Mozart, Weber, Rossini, Meyerbeer, Wagner

concertos
Mozart, Beethoven, John Field, Paganini, Schumann, Chopin, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, Khatchaturian

tone poems

Mendelssohn, Liszt, Dvorak, Smetana, Sibelius, Richard Strauss

Quoteetc.

Karl Henning
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Madiel

Tricky. Right now I'm going to say Sibelius and Holmboe.

Although, as I observed recently on another thread, no-one can outdo Haydn when it comes to an Andante.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: orfeo on September 16, 2014, 07:24:19 AM
no-one can outdo Haydn when it comes to an Andante.

Really?

Mozart KV 467
Schubert D 944
Beethoven op. 67
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Gurn Blanston

Haydn, Beethoven, Mozart, Dvorak, Schubert, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov   
More or less in that order. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brahmsian

Symphonies

Bruckner
Shostakovich
Sibelius

Overtures

Beethoven
Tchaikovsky
Wagner

Concertos

Brahms
Schumann
Mozart

Tone Poems

Strauss, R.
Dvorak
Tchaikovsky/Rimsky-Korsakov/Sibelius

NorthNYMark

Surprised not to see Brahms on this list--he (and therefore "other") gets my vote (though on another day I could easily have opted for Beethoven).

Jay F

Mahler

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on September 16, 2014, 07:59:46 AM
Really?

Mozart KV 467
Schubert D 944
Beethoven op. 67

I missed the part where my opinion had to match yours.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

ritter

Unfortunately, none of my (current) top choices are on the lsit  :( :

• Debussy
  • Ravel
  • Stravinsky

Feeling a bit etsranged from the Austro-German symphonic tradition these days (it's just a temporary thing, I suppose)...