Your favourite composer of orchestral music

Started by amw, September 15, 2014, 11:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite composer of symphonies, overtures, concertos, tone poems, etc.

Mozart
2 (6.3%)
Haydn
3 (9.4%)
Beethoven
6 (18.8%)
Mahler
4 (12.5%)
Bruckner
2 (6.3%)
Dvořák
2 (6.3%)
Shostakovich
2 (6.3%)
other (specify)
11 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Florestan

Quote from: orfeo on September 17, 2014, 02:14:05 AM
I missed the part where my opinion had to match yours.

Did you really?

That's what you wrote:

Quote from: orfeo on September 16, 2014, 07:24:19 AM
no-one can outdo Haydn when it comes to an Andante.

To which I replied as I did.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Ken B

Concertos: Mozart
Everything else: banana, with Stravinsky second

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on September 17, 2014, 07:02:02 AM
Did you really?

That's what you wrote:

To which I replied as I did.

On a thread called YOUR FAVOURITE COMPOSER.

Grow up.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Ken B

Quote from: orfeo on September 17, 2014, 02:14:05 AM
I missed the part where my opinion had to match yours.
I miised the part where on a discussion board if you state an opinion others cannot disagree without you without your getting hostile.

Madiel

Quote from: Ken B on September 17, 2014, 02:26:47 PM
I miised the part where on a discussion board if you state an opinion others cannot disagree without you without your getting hostile.

It's not just "on a discussion board", it's on a particular thread. On THIS thread, they're entitled to have a different favourite composer. They're not entitled to frame it in a way that sounds like a lecture about how my answer was wrong. If we were on a thread where opinions were supposed to be about an objective fact, it would be completely different.

Twice now, he's said "Really?". We're not talking about something that is 'real', we're talking about my personal subjective opinion. I would have thought that was obvious from the context of the thread. Frankly, saying "Really?" in this context comes across as a patronising and insulting expression of disbelief. It comes across as "how could you like Haydn's Andantes so much, here's a list of Andantes you're supposed to like more". He gets a sharp response accordingly.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

HIPster

Haydn for me.

Two years ago it would have been Beethoven, hands down.

I suppose my current faves list would look like this:

Haydn
Beethoven
Shostakovich
Lou Harrison
Mozart
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Dancing Divertimentian

For symphonies alone: Bruckner strides like a colossus over the entire lot of others (even over Mahler ;)).

Symphonic poems/incidental/other: Debussy, Sibelius, Richard Strauss, Stravinsky

Concertos: Bartok, Prokofiev, Mozart

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Florestan

Quote from: orfeo on September 17, 2014, 02:30:51 PM
It's not just "on a discussion board", it's on a particular thread. On THIS thread, they're entitled to have a different favourite composer. They're not entitled to frame it in a way that sounds like a lecture about how my answer was wrong. If we were on a thread where opinions were supposed to be about an objective fact, it would be completely different.

Twice now, he's said "Really?". We're not talking about something that is 'real', we're talking about my personal subjective opinion. I would have thought that was obvious from the context of the thread. Frankly, saying "Really?" in this context comes across as a patronising and insulting expression of disbelief. It comes across as "how could you like Haydn's Andantes so much, here's a list of Andantes you're supposed to like more". He gets a sharp response accordingly.

Wow! Ranting, ranting, little boy...  ;D

Your turn to grow up, or at least to cool off, man!
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Israfel the Black

For symphonies, it's Bruckner, but it's Mozart overall.

Jaakko Keskinen

Wagner, Beethoven, Liszt, Bruckner, Sibelius, Richard Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Rachmaninov... But especially Wagner and Beethoven.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

71 dB

Edward Elgar
Sergei Taneyev
Carl Nielsen
Heitor Villa-Lobos
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on September 19, 2014, 10:49:56 AM
Edward Elgar
Sergei Taneyev
Carl Nielsen
Heitor Villa-Lobos

Nice list, 71dB. I didn't know you were such a Villa-Lobos fan. We'll have to talk about his music one day.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 19, 2014, 05:47:42 PM
Nice list, 71dB. I didn't know you were such a Villa-Lobos fan. We'll have to talk about his music one day.

Yes, I like Villa-Lobos. I have mentioned it here, but not too often.  0:)

I'm fond of the way Villa-Lobos uses orchesta. Therefor I list him as one of my favorite composer of orchestral music.

johnshade

R Strauss  Bartok  Beethoven  Brahms

The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on September 20, 2014, 02:09:57 AM
Yes, I like Villa-Lobos. I have mentioned it here, but not too often.  0:)

I'm fond of the way Villa-Lobos uses orchesta. Therefor I list him as one of my favorite composer of orchestral music.

It's okay your Villa-Lobos secret is safe with me. ;) ;D Yeah, Villa-Lobos didn't hold back when it came to orchestration. Large barrages of exotic percussion abound.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 20, 2014, 07:43:05 PM
It's okay your Villa-Lobos secret is safe with me. ;) ;D

What a relief!!  :D

I have about 2 dozen CDs of Villa-Lobos. I have always collected his music slowly. Most of his music is kind of unknown territory and even unperformed!  ???

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on September 21, 2014, 01:43:49 AM
What a relief!!  :D

I have about 2 dozen CDs of Villa-Lobos. I have always collected his music slowly. Most of his music is kind of unknown territory and even unperformed!  ???

It seems that most of his music is unknown territory for a lot of people. :) You and I excluded of course.