Bruckner 7th

Started by Henk, July 10, 2008, 03:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Klemperer is one of the few who gets tempo relations in the first movemen right. I also recommend it but I seem to recall that I was less fond of Klemp's mvmt. 3+4.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vers la flamme

I was listening to a lot of the Klemperer Bruckner recordings when I first discovered Bruckner's music a couple of years ago, but haven't listened much since. Will have to check out his 7th. I also hear his 6th is quite excellent.

vers la flamme

A propos of VonStupp's comment to me, what are some recordings that emphasize less of the "big, old-school Romanticism" approach in this symphony? It would be nice to hear something contrasting to the Barenboim/Berlin and Karajan/Vienna that I already have.

Any thoughts on the Runnicles/BBC Scottish on Hyperion?

Jo498

Gielen, Rosbaud for a rather "modern" approach, and Klemperer is of course his own man but in a way he also belongs rather there than to "big old-school".
I think Giulini is too lyrical for typical "big romantic", at least in the 7th.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vers la flamme

Quote from: Jo498 on October 31, 2021, 01:23:49 PM
Gielen, Rosbaud for a rather "modern" approach, and Klemperer is of course his own man but in a way he also belongs rather there than to "big old-school".
I think Giulini is too lyrical for typical "big romantic", at least in the 7th.

Lyrical sounds excellent for this symphony, sometimes nicknamed the "Lyric". I will have to look into Gielen and Rosbaud, two names I definitely don't associate with Bruckner.

Daverz

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 31, 2021, 12:50:44 PM
A propos of VonStupp's comment to me, what are some recordings that emphasize less of the "big, old-school Romanticism" approach in this symphony? It would be nice to hear something contrasting to the Barenboim/Berlin and Karajan/Vienna that I already have.

Skrowaczewski and the already mentioned Rosbaud.

Jo498

Skrowaczewski is also excellent but not nearly as lean and fleet as Rosbaud or Gielen; his Saarbrücken (Arte Nova/Oehms) Bruckner set might be the best deal for a cplt. set. I have not heard Rosbaud's other Bruckner that was long in South West German Radio's vaults. Gielen's Bruckner is a mixed bag; of the one's I have heard (3-8) I think the 5th and 7th are the best by some margin and certainly worth seeking out.
- Blaise Pascal

Daverz

Well, if you're looking for fleet, Ormandy/Philadelphia (RCA) and Ivan Fischer/Budapest Festival take about 56 minutes.  Haitink's first recording is around 60 minutes.  Heinz Rögner is a little over 59 minutes and there was a William Steinberg/Pittsburgh recording that was under 60 minutes.

André

Quote from: Jo498 on November 01, 2021, 12:50:24 AM
Skrowaczewski is also excellent but not nearly as lean and fleet as Rosbaud or Gielen; his Saarbrücken (Arte Nova/Oehms) Bruckner set might be the best deal for a cplt. set. I have not heard Rosbaud's other Bruckner that was long in South West German Radio's vaults. Gielen's Bruckner is a mixed bag; of the one's I have heard (3-8) I think the 5th and 7th are the best by some margin and certainly worth seeking out.

+1. They were also the first to be recorded, if I'm not mistaken. Fresh, urgent yet unhurried performances of great cumulative power.

Apart from Haitink's, my own rec for best cycle - esp. considering the price - is the Brilliant with Rögner in charge of nos 3-9 (other conductors for the early symphonies). The 7th is excellent. Bold yet glowing performances.

vandermolen

I grew up with this recording:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

Quote from: André on November 01, 2021, 12:15:29 PM
+1. They were also the first to be recorded, if I'm not mistaken. Fresh, urgent yet unhurried performances of great cumulative power.
I  cannot check for the 9th, but I also think 7th (1986) and 5th (1989) were the first. However, Gielen's rather slow recording of the 8th is also from 1990

Apart from Haitink's, my own rec for best cycle - esp. considering the price - is the Brilliant with Rögner in charge of nos 3-9 (other conductors for the early symphonies). The 7th is excellent. Bold yet glowing performances.
I have not heard any Bruckner with Rögner (separate discs available on Berlin classics, I think) but he has a following among some German listeners.
- Blaise Pascal