Author Topic: Recordings of Mahler's 7th  (Read 19272 times)

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
Re: Recordings of Mahler's 7th
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2021, 07:54:28 PM »
I enjoy Neumann/Czech Phil

Neumann is not one to wear his heart on his sleeve in Mahler, which is good for the 7th, since no on seems to agree on what the "message" of the symphony is.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2021, 08:40:16 PM »

Neumann is not one to wear his heart on his sleeve in Mahler, which is good for the 7th, since no on seems to agree on what the "message" of the symphony is.

I've seen you mention this Neumann cycle several times. It certainly makes me think I'm missing something. I own the set, but I don't think I've really given the attention it deserves.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2021, 08:43:58 PM »
I've seen you mention this Neumann cycle several times. It certainly makes me think I'm missing something. I own the set, but I don't think I've really given the attention it deserves.

It's on my shopping list.
So many other things, too!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2021, 08:45:00 PM »

I like it because Neumann eschews histrionics, lets the music speak for itself. Similar, in that way, to the Haitink cycle. And the Czech Philharmonic produces beautiful sonorities. A matter of taste, of course.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2021, 08:57:57 PM »
I've picked up several recordings but since I only listen to Mahler once every couple of years, attention paid has probably been insufficient.

Solti [Decca] - I have heard this once and don't remember anything about it
Kondrashin [Melodiya] - Generally my favourite. Kondrashin tends to be, in general, the fastest and most neurotic Mahler conductor and therefore tends to divide opinion for that reason. (People also have a variety of opinions regarding Soviet brass.)
Bernstein [Sony] - Also pretty good; hard to go wrong with, in general
Gielen [SWR] - usually described as "modernist"; I'm not really sure what's modernist about it in all honesty. Never had a strong opinion about it
Klemperer [EMI] - Has all the usual tradeoffs of slow tempi, but I don't hate it; just usually need a break after Nachtmusik I
Haitink [RCO Live 1969] - I'm not sure I have actually listened to this
Neumann [Berlin Classics] - This is the Leipzig Gewandhaus recording. Probably the best-sounding one in my collection, at least in terms of orchestral playing. Definitely prachtvoll and, yes, somewhat impersonal. This is usually the other one I listen to most often

I'm not sure what the critical consensus is; professional critics seem to like Bernstein, Mahler anoraks lean more towards Gielen or Abbado (which I'm sure I used to have, but it doesn't appear to be in my collection anymore) etc.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 08:59:28 PM by amw »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2021, 08:58:34 PM »
It's on my shopping list.
So many other things, too!

Yeah, my to-listen-to pile is ridiculous at this juncture. :)

I like it because Neumann eschews histrionics, lets the music speak for itself. Similar, in that way, to the Haitink cycle. And the Czech Philharmonic produces beautiful sonorities. A matter of taste, of course.

Sounds like a fine alternative to Bernstein and Solti. Of course, I love all kinds of Mahler conductors. One for every mood.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »
Last recording that really impressed me was Alexandre Bloch:

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2021, 06:27:50 AM »

+1 for Neumann's Mahler.  Absolutely the antithesis interpretatively of say Bernstein (not better just different) but I do love the actual sound the Czech PO make in this music - a unique cycle in this respect.  Also the choral contributions in 2 & 8 are very fine.  Those East European choirs produce a focussed sound certainly Brit choirs cannot match

Offline hvbias

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2021, 05:42:58 AM »
I really like the Michael Tilson Thomas/LSO on RCA Victor. Just got it recently.

This is one of my favorites as well.

Just curious, do you hear any noise reduction on this box? I was sampling the Kletzki Beethoven reissue box on Supraphon and it does have some noise reduction, the earlier CDs from the 90s sounded better.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 05:45:46 AM by hvbias »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2021, 06:03:00 AM »
Macal’s fine Czech Phil recording on Exton boasts excellent playing and sound. They also recorded the 3rd (splendid) and 4th symphonies - but the series ended there.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2021, 08:36:23 AM »
Just curious, do you hear any noise reduction on this box? I was sampling the Kletzki Beethoven reissue box on Supraphon and it does have some noise reduction, the earlier CDs from the 90s sounded better.

You just made me feel much better!  :)

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2021, 07:39:58 AM »

I had several volumes from the early release and, although I have not made side-by-side comparisons, the complete set doesn't sound any different to me. These recordings are from the late 70's and noise reduction is generally not appropriate for recordings of that era.