TowerRecords.com now owned and operated by Caiman

Started by Bunny, April 12, 2007, 01:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Well, for everyone who also has the love-hate relationship relationship with Caiman that I have, be warned!  Towerrecords is now owned and operated by Caiman, and you can wait a long time for some of the special orders and pay more money.  However, shipping from Tower is still free if you buy more than $20, and 2nd day for free if you buy more than $100.00 in the purchase.  Perhaps as a result of taking over the website, I've found that my caiman orders are coming very promptly in the same packaging that Tower used to use.

There are no more stores and the inventory of the stores was taken over by a bankruptcy liquidation firm, so don't expect to see any of the things from the stores listed by Tower or Caiman.  It's more like that those will show up at places like Walmart's or Overstock.com.

bhodges

Wow, isn't that an interesting development.  I was wondering what might happen to Tower's online presence.  Thanks for the information. 

--Bruce

Bunny

De nada!  I had an order at tower that was taking a bit too long, so I called customer service, and the whole story came out.  They are still being operated as two separate entities, but who knows for how much longer that will happen? 

Don

I've never ordered from Tower, and the new ownership won't change that.  My experiences with Caiman have not been in my favor.

Robert

Quote from: Bunny on April 12, 2007, 01:47:27 PM
Well, for everyone who also has the love-hate relationship relationship with Caiman that I have, be warned!  Towerrecords is now owned and operated by Caiman, and you can wait a long time for some of the special orders and pay more money.  However, shipping from Tower is still free if you buy more than $20, and 2nd day for free if you buy more than $100.00 in the purchase.  Perhaps as a result of taking over the website, I've found that my caiman orders are coming very promptly in the same packaging that Tower used to use.

There are no more stores and the inventory of the stores was taken over by a bankruptcy liquidation firm, so don't expect to see any of the things from the stores listed by Tower or Caiman.  It's more like that those will show up at places like Walmart's or Overstock.com.

THE FINAL NAIL HAS NOW BEEN CAST......

Bunny

Quote from: Robert on April 12, 2007, 02:51:19 PM
THE FINAL NAIL HAS NOW BEEN CAST......

I think you are mixing your metaphors. ;D

Final vote, or the die may be cast, but those nails are usually hammered or driven into that coffin.

My particular favorite: stick a fork in it; it's done.  >:D

Robert

Quote from: Bunny on April 12, 2007, 03:38:10 PM
I think you are mixing your metaphors. ;D

Final vote, or the die may be cast, but those nails are usually hammered or driven into that coffin.

My particular favorite: stick a fork in it; it's done.  >:D

keep hammering those nails.....

Bogey

Quote from: Don on April 12, 2007, 02:16:10 PM
I've never ordered from Tower, and the new ownership won't change that.  My experiences with Caiman have not been in my favor.

Why, is there something that disturbs you about receiving your order 91% of the time?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Robert

Quote from: Bill on April 12, 2007, 07:42:47 PM
Why, is there something that disturbs you about receiving 91% of your order?
91% your not talking about Caiman....That figure is bogus........how about never receiving your discs or not even getting any answers?  usually sell what they don't have....I purchase alot from amazon and they are far and away the champs.....Please hand me that box of nails.......keep hammering away......

Bogey

Quote from: Robert on April 12, 2007, 07:58:57 PM
91% your not talking about Caiman....That figure is bogus........how about never receiving your discs or not even getting any answers?  usually sell what they don't have....I purchase alot from amazon and they are far and away the champs.....Please hand me that box of nails.......keep hammering away......

LOL...
(Is this the jazz on vinyl guru Robert....or a new Robert on board?)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Robert

Quote from: Bill on April 12, 2007, 08:04:13 PM

LOL...
(Is this the jazz on vinyl guru Robert....or a new Robert on board?)

Hi Bill
Its the old vinyl jazz head.....asmf I spent the last week working and cleaning alot of my vinyl....was just listening to  soundtrack to Odds against tomorrow by John Lewis and MJQ.....Then I put on a Marvin "Hannibal"  Petterson album...I forgot I had all these albums.....I then counted 15 sonny albums....cleaned them up.....a mans work never ends......

Bunny

Quote from: Bill on April 12, 2007, 07:42:47 PM
Why, is there something that disturbs you about receiving your order 91% of the time?

Actually, the service I have been receiving from Caiman has been no worse nor better than from any other large internet vendor.  The problems associated with Caiman, the sale of cds they do not have in inventory, the long waits for various issues, the failure to notify when a cd is unobtainable are problems that I have experienced at all of the large internet vendors including HMV Uk; HMV Japan; TowerRecords; ArkivMusik; CDUniverse; J&R; Overstock.com; GermanMusicExpress; Barnes & Noble; et al.  In my experience, one of the worst vendors has been Amazon (not marketplace partners)!  Ordering from Amazon I never know how much of my order will arrive or when it will arrive.  I have waited up to 4 months for things widely available which Amazon has enticed me into ordering with a low marketplace price and the "free shipping" for orders over $25.00, and have also had those orders canceled while they are shown as available on the website.  I've come to realize that this is the nature of internet business: All of the large vendors use suppliers who sometimes don't have enough on hand to fulfill all of the orders.   If I want something fast, I go to a brick store and pay the premium.

Don

Quote from: Bunny on April 13, 2007, 06:40:54 AM
Actually, the service I have been receiving from Caiman has been no worse nor better than from any other large internet vendor.  The problems associated with Caiman, the sale of cds they do not have in inventory, the long waits for various issues, the failure to notify when a cd is unobtainable are problems that I have experienced at all of the large internet vendors including HMV Uk; HMV Japan; TowerRecords; ArkivMusik; CDUniverse; J&R; Overstock.com; GermanMusicExpress; Barnes & Noble; et al. 

I've never had these problems with ArkivMusic, although I only order when they say "in stock".

karlhenning

Quote from: Don on April 13, 2007, 06:47:48 AM
I've never had these problems with ArkivMusic, although I only order when they say "in stock".

Ditto.

(Separately, I've had no trouble with caiman.)

Robert

Quote from: Bunny on April 13, 2007, 06:40:54 AM
Actually, the service I have been receiving from Caiman has been no worse nor better than from any other large internet vendor.  The problems associated with Caiman, the sale of cds they do not have in inventory, the long waits for various issues, the failure to notify when a cd is unobtainable are problems that I have experienced at all of the large internet vendors including HMV Uk; HMV Japan; TowerRecords; ArkivMusik; CDUniverse; J&R; Overstock.com; GermanMusicExpress; Barnes & Noble; et al.  In my experience, one of the worst vendors has been Amazon (not marketplace partners)!  Ordering from Amazon I never know how much of my order will arrive or when it will arrive.  I have waited up to 4 months for things widely available which Amazon has enticed me into ordering with a low marketplace price and the "free shipping" for orders over $25.00, and have also had those orders canceled while they are shown as available on the website.  I've come to realize that this is the nature of internet business: All of the large vendors use suppliers who sometimes don't have enough on hand to fulfill all of the orders.   If I want something fast, I go to a brick store and pay the premium.
before you go to a brick store try newbury comics.....talk about fast.....

Bogey

Quote from: Robert on April 13, 2007, 12:22:33 PM
before you go to a brick store try newbury comics.....talk about fast.....

Just got my Bach set from them....fast....perfect shape....low price.

uffeviking

Amen to the Newbury Comics recommendations! Fast, reliable, merchandise in perfect shape, always as advertised. So they charge a few pennies more than Caiman, but it's worth it!

George

I'll throw in another plug for newbury comics.

They are the angels of amazon.

Until my last try with caiman, I had had no trouble with them. They even did a return for me and paid for the return shipping. These days I prefer to buy stuff on sale in brick-and-mortar stores. No cracked cases, no wait, no lying vendors telling me they have something that they don't have.  >:(