La Mort des Artistes

Started by Ian Moore, September 19, 2014, 12:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Moore

Here is my latest offering.  La Mort des Artistes is inspired by the French symbolist poet, Charles Baudelaire.  It is an attempt to integrate all of the features of the poem into a musical language.  It is sung by the alto voice, Rachel Fisher.

It was recorded in a church and the quiet passages are almost silent. I hope you enjoy it.  Please feel free to make a comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j4pORcd7-4&list=PLC3bV36nrNiDmzgf5tWLuj26lFt7YCmw-

Ian Moore

It is middle section of a three part work. The last section I will post later.  The first section is not finished.

Luke

Hi Ian,

In the last couple of weeks I've returned to GMG after an absence of two or three years - in the days before I finally took the plunge and reposted here, I was looking at the board more and more often, and one of the things that really intrigued me was your music. I really enjoyed the two(?) pieces you had up already, especially your oboe/piano piece, and was very impressed indeed with the individual soundworlds you created and explored in each. Great performances by some stellar players, too - very cool! This new one is equally impressive, and for similar reasons - new sounds, imagination and invention in abundance, passionately worked through, superbly performed.   8)  :)

Ian Moore

I am flabbergasted...Thank you very much.  Your words are really pleasing to hear.

Karl Henning

Entirely earned, Ian.  (Not to detract from Luke's grace in giving it eloquent voice.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: Ian Moore on September 21, 2014, 06:43:55 AM
I am flabbergasted...Thank you very much.  Your words are really pleasing to hear.

Don't be flabbergasted!  If Luke and Karl see value in your creation, it is there!

I will need to listen later this afternoon...not that my opinion is at all necessary after theirs!   :laugh:
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Ian Moore

Once again, thanks for your kind words. :)