Welcome to Twin Peaks, population 51,201

Started by Rinaldo, October 07, 2014, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

So, Twin Peaks is coming back, nine episodes, due to arrive in 2016. Lynch will be directing all of them.

Thoughts? Expectations? Memories?

While there's no way in hell I'd defend the atrocious 2nd season (except for the finale itself), this series shaped me more than I probably realize. Seeing the original run as a kid (sorry to anyone who'll feel old reading this), I had no idea what was going on, yet the mood, the music (that bass in the Red Room!), the quirkiness intertwined with a healthy dose of humanity.. it all had a profound effect on who I've become. No, I don't talk backwards, but I sure love coffee and a Audrey will always be my dream girl.

Can it work 25 years later? Can it be updated without losing its original appeal? Can it shock audiences the way it did back in 1990?

Cato

Wow!  What a coincidence!  We were just discussing the demise of the show elsewhere last week or so!

And for something worthy of Lynchian weirdness:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/6/6919641/twin-peaks-prophecy-foretold-2016-return
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Rinaldo on October 07, 2014, 11:50:55 AM...and a Audrey will always be my dream girl....Can it work 25 years later?

I'm wondering too. Audrey (Sherilyn Fenn) is 49; Agent Cooper is 55. What have they been doing for 25 years? Or is Lynch just going to start over with a new mystery set in the same location?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

escher

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 07, 2014, 12:55:54 PM
I'm wondering too. Audrey (Sherilyn Fenn) is 49; Agent Cooper is 55.

and Bob is dead!

Brahmsian

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Marc

Only a few days ago I advised MI to pick Dale Cooper mirrored Killer Bob as his permanent avatar, because I was rewatching the original series again, and now what?

Quote from: Marc on October 07, 2014, 10:19:05 AM
[...] this is weird and almost scary: I watched the final episode of Twin Peaks today, and after that some Twin Peaks documentary, which a.o. discussed the ideas for the third season that never was to be .... and then I returned to the real world to learn that David Lynch tweeted today that this third season is finally on its way! To be broadcasted in 2016!

25 years after the final episode of Season 2, just as 'Laura Palmer' had 'predicted' in those dreamy and weird Black Lodge scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/v/BL57-9171pk

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 07, 2014, 02:16:41 PM
+1  Looking forward to it.  :)

+2.

TheGSMoeller

This makes me want to cry with joy.  :'(  ;D
I was starting to get concerned that Lynch was going to stay absent from film. He's been so busy with his coffee brand and Transcendental Meditation I thought we'd never hear from him again.

mc ukrneal

Never saw what the big deal was - Much ado About Nothing. Probably won't bother with the second.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Rinaldo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 07, 2014, 12:55:54 PM
I'm wondering too. Audrey (Sherilyn Fenn) is 49; Agent Cooper is 55. What have they been doing for 25 years? Or is Lynch just going to start over with a new mystery set in the same location?

Sarge

Well the original mystery is unresolved [SPOILERS!] - the 'good' Dale got trapped in the Black Lodge, the 'bad' got out.. and just as Marc pointed out, Laura 'predicted' they'll see each other again 25 years later. There's also an earlier scene of an aged Coop in the Black Lodge, silver hair and all..

In any case, I'm looking forward to it. If it can retain the surrealist overtones as well as the good hearted humour, I'm open to any direction they might be taking. One thing is for sure - the music will be worth it!

https://www.youtube.com/v/rgXLEM8MhJo

Marc

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 07, 2014, 03:41:31 PM
Never saw what the big deal was - Much ado About Nothing. Probably won't bother with the second.

Sure it's much ado nothing, but if I watch CNN then I conclude that almost anything in life is much ado about nothing.
People kill each other because they read different 'holy' books or even sometimes just because they can't stand each other face.

And here at GMG we waste our time with discussing (sometimes fiercely) the quality of recordings and how ornamentations should be used in baroque music, and much more much ado.

Almost everything I saw from Lynch has touched my heart and soul, probably because he's never afraid to dig deep into each man's (and woman's) heart and soul. And I guess this makes his themes, no matter how weird they appear in his films, so recognizable for me.
Of course that's probably much ado about not that much, it's probably nothing but a search for empathy and understanding, but hey, how many weird 'much ado about nothing' issues in this world could be solved or at least tempered by empathy and understanding?

Quote from: Rinaldo on October 07, 2014, 04:45:16 PM
[...]
There's also an earlier scene of an aged Coop in the Black Lodge, silver hair and all..
[...]

Yes, that's Cooper's dream in one of the early episodes, which was entitled '25 years later' in the European pilot, so, at the time, I figured that Laura was only referring to that ... but now it might have a bonus meaning ... Twin Peaks is like poetry, you can read but nothing reads as it is written.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Marc on October 08, 2014, 01:51:16 AM
Sure it's much ado nothing, but if I watch CNN then I conclude that almost anything in life is much ado about nothing.
People kill each other because they read different 'holy' books or even sometimes just because they can't stand each other face.

And here at GMG we waste our time with discussing (sometimes fiercely) the quality of recordings and how ornamentations should be used in baroque music, and much more much ado.

Almost everything I saw from Lynch has touched my heart and soul, probably because he's never afraid to dig deep into each man's (and woman's) heart and soul. And I guess this makes his themes, no matter how weird they appear in his films, so recognizable for me.
Of course that's probably much ado about not that much, it's probably nothing but a search for empathy and understanding, but hey, how many weird 'much ado about nothing' issues in this world could be solved or at least tempered by empathy and understanding?

Yes, that's Cooper's dream in one of the early episodes, which was entitled '25 years later' in the European pilot, so, at the time, I figured that Laura was only referring to that ... but now it might have a bonus meaning ... Twin Peaks is like poetry, you can read but nothing reads as it is written.
See this is the problem, I generally felt the opposite of what you felt from Lynch. I have nothing positive to say about his work from Twin Peaks and onwards. I find his work disconnected (to put it nicely) from all the positives you listed.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Marc

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 08, 2014, 03:53:37 AM
See this is the problem, I generally felt the opposite of what you felt from Lynch. I have nothing positive to say about his work from Twin Peaks and onwards. I find his work disconnected (to put it nicely) from all the positives you listed.

I empathize and understand.

But ... will we ever be lovers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSAEzvJoVF4

;)

Luckilly, there are so many (weird/not weird) movies and tv-series, we both will get out share.

Marc

Quote from: escher on October 07, 2014, 01:44:27 PM
and Bob is dead!

But Leland survived!

;D

From left to right: Gordon Cole, Donna Hayward and Leland Palmer, as some of us used to know them.

Rinaldo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 08, 2014, 07:57:58 AM
A perfect example....

..of the humour. I love how it's (also) a play on the fans trying to interpret the surreal, dreamlike scenes from the series.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Rinaldo on October 08, 2014, 08:17:37 AM
I love how it's (also) a play on the fans trying to interpret...

Lynch has done this many times before. Mulholland Drive is a great example. Lynch even released clues for the audience to pay attention to, but that's about as far as he went, and the "clues" still leave much of the answers to the viewers interpretation. One aspect of his characters I've always admired is their uniqueness and quirkiness. I see viewers questioning the motives, personalities or actions of the characters, when many times there really is no direct answer, the characters are just this way, this is who they are.

TheGSMoeller

Has anyone seen David Lynch's commercial he made for the iPhone back in 2008? It's clever, and also NSFW!!!

But it is enjoyable  ;D...

https://www.youtube.com/v/wKiIroiCvZ0

torut

Quote from: Rinaldo on October 07, 2014, 04:45:16 PM
Well the original mystery is unresolved [SPOILERS!] - the 'good' Dale got trapped in the Black Lodge, the 'bad' got out.. and just as Marc pointed out, Laura 'predicted' they'll see each other again 25 years later. There's also an earlier scene of an aged Coop in the Black Lodge, silver hair and all..

In any case, I'm looking forward to it. If it can retain the surrealist overtones as well as the good hearted humour, I'm open to any direction they might be taking. One thing is for sure - the music will be worth it!

https://www.youtube.com/v/rgXLEM8MhJo
That video is great. I visualized the scene he (Lynch) described. The music of Twin Peaks is special to me. I'm wondering if Badalamenti will compose new music for the next episodes, or Lynch will use his music.