Welcome to Twin Peaks, population 51,201

Started by Rinaldo, October 07, 2014, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

Quote from: Rinaldo on April 06, 2015, 12:06:04 PM
Not dead at all - as long as the original actors don't start dropping out because of Lynch leaving the production..

Speak of the devil..

https://www.youtube.com/v/BO934i9uO1c

TheGSMoeller

Lynch is back on board, from his own mouth (or keyboard)...

https://twitter.com/david_lynch

Cato

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 15, 2015, 05:35:37 PM
Lynch is back on board, from his own mouth (or keyboard)...

https://twitter.com/david_lynch

The check from the network finally cleared!   8)

I have been revisiting the series via Netflix: it had a good number of great character actors, and not just Jack Nance, Everett McGill, and of course the incredible Ray Wise, but also old-timers like Hank Worden, Dan O'Herlihy, and Royal Dano.

I had forgotten that the "dancing dwarf" episode was the third: my memory said it happened much later. 

I think ratings went down after that episode!   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

It's Time!

Been going through the original 2 seasons, it's just amazing stuff. Nothing like it on TV before, or even after. Mostly through season 2 which I watch less of the later episodes, since I feel it got a little weaker once they revealed Laura's killer (studio pressure). But it's still great. A few highlights....

Season 2: Ep. 7 - Lonely Souls
- The scene at the end in The Roadhouse, and then with Leland and Maddy, and then back to The Roadhouse is fantastically executed. These final 20 minutes are essential Lynch, which makes sense considering it was one of the few episodes from Season 2 that Lynch actually directed himself, and with a script by Mark Frost.
Season 2: Ep. 8 - Drive with a Dead Girl - I've always loved the scene near the end when Audrey visits Cooper at the hotel, and confesses that she always wanted her father's approval, and that she never touched anyone at One Eyed Jacks.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 20, 2017, 05:46:46 PM
Oh god! Not S2E7, when I re-watched that in February I literally cried. I'm not the person to cry easily but it was really tragic. Lynch really knows how to manipulate the viewers.

And Julee Cruise!!  :'( :'(

Rinaldo

IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN

Forgot I started this thread! Time sure flies. I expect Lynch to kick the surreal aspects of the show into overdrive. No way he's gonna be content with just a nostalgic trip.

QuoteLynch really knows how to manipulate the viewers.

Yup. He's got a reputation of weirdness but he's quite the Hitchcock when he wants to. Remember in the pilot, Laura's empty chair, Donna and James exchanging glances, the tension keeps building until you snap, just like James breaks his pencil. I hope they teach these scenes at film schools.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 20, 2017, 06:12:24 PM
I got her albums (some of the lyrics are written by lynch!)

I love it.

Also, Rockin' Back Inside My Heart, Mysteries of Love, The Nightingale etc are so sentimental for me  :'( :'(

I bought them too!!!  ;D

Have you heard Chrysta Bell's album?

[asin]B006381EKS[/asin]

Produced by Lynch as well. She sang on the song Polish Poem from Inland Empire.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Rinaldo on May 20, 2017, 06:16:21 PM
IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN

Forgot I started this thread! Time sure flies. I expect Lynch to kick the surreal aspects of the show into overdrive. No way he's gonna be content with just a nostalgic trip.

Yup. He's got a reputation of weirdness but he's quite the Hitchcock when he wants to. Remember in the pilot, Laura's empty chair, Donna and James exchanging glances, the tension keeps building until you snap, just like James breaks his pencil. I hope they teach these scenes at film schools.

I'm sure Showtime gave him carte blanche with the new Twin Peaks series, so I'm expecting classic Lynch.

TheGSMoeller

Opted for the Showtime channel through Amazon Video. Will have pts- 1 & 2 available at 9pm ET (I live US-Georgia) A big bonus is that parts 3 & 4 will be available directly afterwards, and will resume with episode 5 on June 4th.
I've read this offering of first four episodes is only available with streaming services, whereas Showtime through cable tv services will have to wait until next week to get pts 3 & 4.

How is everyone else watching?

TheGSMoeller

Holy smokes! Went to my local library this afternoon and this was on the shelf near the entrance. It's one of those days.  8)

TheGSMoeller

Cato

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 21, 2017, 12:34:52 PM
TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!

I am recording it: two-hour premiere!   8)

To be sure, after Inland Empire, Lynch would seem to have needed a reboot of his reputation.

Perhaps this will do it?  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Cato on May 21, 2017, 04:02:16 PM
I am recording it: two-hour premiere!   8)

To be sure, after Inland Empire, Lynch would seem to have needed a reboot of his reputation.

Perhaps this will do it?  0:)

I've read that Lynch will not be making anymore films, that Empire was his last. Everything he does from now on will be for TV.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 21, 2017, 04:34:05 PM
Lol, season one spoilers: Laura Palmer Dies  :P

I thought she was napping in that plastic?

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 22, 2017, 01:04:15 AMWhat do you guys think?  :D

Can't say I liked it. It's much closer to Fire Walk With Me, as expected, but it felt too disjointed for me. And while I love the Red Room to death, there was so much of it here that it became kinda dull, IMO.

Brilliant acting, though. And I certainly want to see how it all pans out.

TheGSMoeller

Made it through the first 3, will hit episode 4 tonight.

I love it, but it doesn't feel like Twin Peaks. Or not yet, at least.

It's more like Eraserhead, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive, like alien said. But that's vintage Lynch, and I know he's going to utilize all 17 episodes to their full potential. I expect everything to get tied together in the most Lynchian way, which means we might be left with more questions than answers, but that's the way i like it.
And with a longer format (17 eps) Lynch can really take his time with scenes and build up the tension even more. But it does feel like something completely new, which might've been his goal.

Ill give more details on my view tonight when I finish episode 4. And I may just re watch 1 through 3 again, beautifully done.

Sergeant Rock

Two things that I don't like about the new season: 1) Madeline Zima's character is killed off too soon (yeah, I have a crush on Zima, I wanted to see more of her  ;D ) and 2) despite her importance in the final half of season 2 (to the story, to Agent Cooper), Annie (Heather Graham) will not be in it at all, leaving her fate a continuing mystery  >:(

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

One of my favorite pop singers, one of my favorite TV shows, together at last  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"