Welcome to Twin Peaks, population 51,201

Started by Rinaldo, October 07, 2014, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: motoboy on June 05, 2018, 04:42:36 PM
I haven't read much of this thread as I don't want spoilers, but the season 3 dvds just hit my front porch. Looking forward to getting Lynchified all over again over the next few weeks!

Enjoy!

Marc

Quote from: Marc on June 05, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
LOL.

Like Dale Cooper, man:
just keep on trying again.
;)
(TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN.)

Seriously: watched the entire third season again (for the 2nd time), and ep. 17 & 18 for the 4th time.
One time I'm at peace with the ending, the other time I'm most definitely not.

Some examples that especially disturb me: the large transparent face of Cooper in the background in ep. 17, watching almost helplessly how things evolve. And yet they seem to evolve in such a good way, with the Doppelgänger getting shot by Lucy, Bob getting beat by Fast Freddie, Naido turning into Diane, et cetera.
Who is the real Cooper? The one 'in action', or the one watching helplessly?

Other examples: Cooper trying to change Laura's fate in the past, and then losing her in the woods.
And then, in the finale, still believing (dreaming?) he saved her in the past, finding out that there is no Palmer family in 'da house'.
Is Laura screaming to get her dirt finally out?
Or is she screaming to make the story start all over again?

Also troubling: Cooper returning (again) to the waiting room... same things happen (more or less) as in ep. 1. Or is he really returning? Has the real Cooper ever gotten out? Has he always been watching helplessly, as The Dreamer?
Will Cooper be locked for the rest of his 'life' and dream over and over again about beloved troubled women who, in the end, can't be saved by him or by any 'alter ego', despite his good will?
Caroline, Annie, Laura, Diane, Audrey (in a different way). It's not a happy list.
OTOH: he managed to comfort Laura (or her soul) though (in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me), and helped her realize that she is not evil. (The ending of this movie brought me to tears, which doesn't happen very often.)

I almost got the feeling that Lynch wanted to send a feminist message: girls, when you're in trouble, don't rely on the Good Man to help you, better try to save yourself.

Anyway, despite (or maybe thanks to) all these questions I still say: Twin Peaks is the best I ever saw on telly.

As Dutch poet Rutger Kopland once wrote:
Geef mij
maar een vraag en geen antwoord.

Just give me
a question, no answer.

I now think that 'The Dreamer' is Richard... who is a more or less moderate FBI agent in Texas, having a secret affair (in hotels) with his secretary Linda, and who's dreaming he is a utterly Good FBI Special Case Hero called Dale Cooper.
In the 'real' world, Richard and Linda are real, as is Carrie Page, a waitress in Odessa, Texas, who is getting abused by her husband (and probably has a sad childhood past in those matters, too) and finally kills him.

(More questions I can not answer at the moment. :laugh:)

(Damn good series!! :laugh: again)

Marc

Quote from: Marc on December 11, 2018, 09:09:08 AM
I now think that 'The Dreamer' is Richard... who is a more or less moderate FBI agent in Texas, having a secret affair (in hotels) with his secretary Linda, and who's dreaming he is a utterly Good FBI Special Case Hero called Dale Cooper.
In the 'real' world, Richard and Linda are real, as is Carrie Page, a waitress in Odessa, Texas, who is getting abused by her husband (and probably has a sad childhood past in those matters, too) and finally kills him.

[...]

And, a few minutes after writing down this 'certain' clue, I already have my doubts again. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But the "damn, this ain't Coop" thoughts especially raised when rewatching the café's scene in Odessa, with the asshole cowboys.

Marc

After watching the final episodes of S3 again... I feel more and more satisfied with the Finale.

I begin to think that Carry/Laura is in fact fulfilling the mission of The Señorita & The Fireman (AKA ? ? ? ? ? ? ? AKA The Giant ;)), that was given to her in episode 8 of S3 (the golden orb), i.c. the destruction of the Mother of Evil.
And I applaud Lynch/Frost for the way they did it, the way they've managed to create such a mysterious and heartbreaking event of it.

It's true though: Laura is The One. :-*

Even without the sad fact that too many actors have died after S3, I don't think that a fourth season is needed anymore. Es ist vollbracht.

Are there still some addicted Twin Peaks freaks around here who... are able to share or oppose this? :)

71 dB

Quote from: Marc on March 23, 2020, 11:26:01 AM
After watching the final episodes of S3 again... I feel more and more satisfied with the Finale.

I begin to think that Carry/Laura is in fact fulfilling the mission of The Señorita & The Fireman (AKA ? ? ? ? ? ? ? AKA The Giant ;)), that was given to her in episode 8 of S3 (the golden orb), i.c. the destruction of the Mother of Evil.
And I applaud Lynch/Frost for the way they did it, the way they've managed to create such a mysterious and heartbreaking event of it.

It's true though: Laura is The One. :-*

Even without the sad fact that too many actors have died after S3, I don't think that a fourth season is needed anymore. Es ist vollbracht.

Are there still some addicted Twin Peaks freaks around here who... are able to share or oppose this? :)

I have to say I didn't understand much about S3, but I enjoyed it a lot nevertheless. I fear that if Twin Peaks returns with another Season, Disney has bought the franchise and Kathleen Kennedy turns it into a SJW-cringefest... ...as she did with Star Wars... :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Marc

Quote from: 71 dB on March 23, 2020, 12:12:08 PM
I have to say I didn't understand much about S3, but I enjoyed it a lot nevertheless. I fear that if Twin Peaks returns with another Season, Disney has bought the franchise and Kathleen Kennedy turns it into a SJW-cringefest... ...as she did with Star Wars... :P

Now don't you make fun of my fav show!

Rinaldo

I was highly sceptical about this gargantuous video essay – as I usually am when it comes to YouTube rants & people trying to explain Lynch – but it really is a masterclass in decrypting the whole Twin Peaks enigma:

https://www.youtube.com/v/7AYnF5hOhuM

Can't recommend it highly enough. The guys seems annoying at first but he lays it out beautifully. Judy, Laura, evil doppelgängers, garmonbozia.. it all falls in place in a way that's been in front of our eyes the whole time. Well worth the 4+ hours.

Marc

Quote from: Rinaldo on March 24, 2020, 07:57:51 AM
I was highly sceptical about this gargantuous video essay – as I usually am when it comes to YouTube rants & people trying to explain Lynch – but it really is a masterclass in decrypting the whole Twin Peaks enigma:

https://www.youtube.com/v/7AYnF5hOhuM

Can't recommend it highly enough. The guys seems annoying at first but he lays it out beautifully. Judy, Laura, evil doppelgängers, garmonbozia.. it all falls in place in a way that's been in front of our eyes the whole time. Well worth the 4+ hours.

Thanks!
Watched only the last 5 minutes (yeah I know, I'm a cheater). Maybe, when I'm old and grey, I will watch the entire clip. ;)
At least I agree with him on one thing: season 3 is the end.

My 'explanation' is far more simple (of course): Laura/Carry hears Cooper's frustation ("what year is this?"), the she hears her mother's voice in a blurred way inside the house of evil (Judy)... she suddenly remembers the entire story, screams as if it happened again and she finally wants to get rid of it, and with her scream she ends the story/dream/nightmare, but, most importantly: the evil (Judy), which had gotten hold of her mother. Electricity gone, evil's gone, , everything over, we can all go to bed and sleep safely. Not Cooper is the (super) hero, but Laura is The One.

As I said before:

Quote from: Marc on June 05, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
[...]
I almost got the feeling that Lynch wanted to send a feminist message: girls, when you're in trouble, don't rely on the Good Man to help you, better try to save yourself.

And I also still agree with this:

Anyway, despite (or maybe thanks to) all these questions I still say: Twin Peaks is the best I ever saw on telly.

(No matter how many answers can be found, in either the 'real world', 'Twin Peaks', the 'Imaginitive world' or whatever.)

Marc

Mind you: this book helps a lot, too... actually, I think it's a must-read for Twin Peaks addicts.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 21, 2017, 03:40:23 AM
I bought Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier. Haven't read it yet. Does anyone else have it?

Sarge

And if you really want to have fun: read Mark Frost's The Secret History of Twin Peaks.
Twin Peaks is not just on a screen, man... it's reality!