Welcome to Twin Peaks, population 51,201

Started by Rinaldo, October 07, 2014, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

By chance (or is it?) an article about a Lynch exhibition in Philadelphia appeared this morning in the Wall Street Journal:

QuoteFans of the director may want to linger in the first room upstairs, where senior curator Robert Cozzolino has grouped material from the Philadelphia years (1965-70). Mr. Lynch has said he had his first "original thought" in the city. Living in a crime-ridden neighborhood across from the morgue, he continued to draw, paint and sculpt while working on his singular films.

The walls from this period are full of discomforting images, usually half-abstract, half-human, that began on canvas or paper and later ended up on celluloid. "The Alphabet" (1968), a 4-minute short that mixes live action and animation, is like a bizarre primer for Satan's children. "The Grandmother" (1970), playing on a monitor here, is about a boy who seeks comfort from his abusive mother and father in the arms of his "grandmother," who may or may not be real. (She is born out of a human orifice in a treelike potato that he grows by watering a mound of dirt on his bed. Yes, you read that sentence correctly.)

See:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/practitioner-of-the-dark-arts-1412715773
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 08, 2014, 09:26:33 AM
Lynch has done this many times before. Mulholland Drive is a great example. Lynch even released clues for the audience to pay attention to, but that's about as far as he went, and the "clues" still leave much of the answers to the viewers interpretation. One aspect of his characters I've always admired is their uniqueness and quirkiness. I see viewers questioning the motives, personalities or actions of the characters, when many times there really is no direct answer, the characters are just this way, this is who they are.
Ugh. Did I mention this is on my list of worst 10 5 3 - well, you get the picture. :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linus

This is great. :D

The new episodes will probably be much better than the original series seen as a whole, considering how bad many of the episodes not directed by Lynch were. And now, it seems, he gets to spend all his time on this project.

From the original series, I still only watch the pilot and finale episodes, usually followed by seeing the Fire Walk with Me film. Then follows sad reflections on the fates of the main characters. :'(

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the series was more like FWwM; it wasn't as quirky and fun, but a lot more touching.

Quote from: Marc on October 08, 2014, 01:51:16 AM
Almost everything I saw from Lynch has touched my heart and soul, probably because he's never afraid to dig deep into each man's (and woman's) heart and soul. And I guess this makes his themes, no matter how weird they appear in his films, so recognizable for me.

I found them difficult to understand at first, but when I did, I thought this guy is a surrealist only on the surface and one of the greatest emotional realists. It all rings so true to me. :-\

Marc

Quote from: Linus on October 10, 2014, 12:39:01 AM
[...]
From the original series, I still only watch the pilot and finale episodes, usually followed by seeing the Fire Walk with Me film. Then follows sad reflections on the fates of the main characters. :'(
[...]

With Laura receiving her angels back, on the sounds of Cherubini's Requiem, with Cooper's hand resting on her shoulder, I also find the closing scene very moving and comforting.

milk

This is great news. I predict it's going to be great. They will have much more control and freedom in the cable medium.

Linus

Quote from: Marc on October 10, 2014, 12:59:21 AM
With Laura receiving her angels back, on the sounds of Cherubini's Requiem, with Cooper's hand resting on her shoulder, I also find the closing scene very moving and comforting.

God, yes. It so perfectly resolved that terrifying climax in the train car. *catharsis*

Yet, I must admit, what keeps me awake at night is how I wish I could just jump into the Twin Peaks universe, hug Laura and tell her that I understand, that it's not her fault and that we love her anyway. Before she hops off that bike and runs into the woods.

Marc

Quote from: Linus on October 10, 2014, 04:13:43 AM
God, yes. It so perfectly resolved that terrifying climax in the train car. *catharsis*

Yet, I must admit, what keeps me awake at night is how I wish I could just jump into the Twin Peaks universe, hug Laura and tell her that I understand, that it's not her fault and that we love her anyway. Before she hops off that bike and runs into the woods.

That's sweet. And her secret boyfriend James had the same feelings. But she wasn't able to accept his love anymore, nor Donna's love, nor the love of her angels. "James is sweet ... but so dumb. And I can only take so much of sweet!"

I forgot for which magazine it was, but Sheryl Lee once told in an interview that, despite the negative reactions Fire Walk With Me had received, she got many moving positive reactions from incest victims who were glad that 'Laura' and Lynch had decided to tell the entire story, including its gruesome truth and including its comforting ending.
I think that, what you wish at night, is already delivered, in a more spiritual way, in that final scene of Fire Walk With Me. Even though Laura had left the angels, the angels themselves never left her, they still loved her. 

7/4

• Lynch will be involved.
  • It will be strange.
  • It should be good.
  • premiere of the 1st show is a long ways off!
[/list]

milk

Quote from: 7/4 on October 10, 2014, 02:09:18 PM

• Lynch will be involved.
  • It will be strange.
  • It should be good.
  • premiere of the 1st show is a long ways off!
[/list]
Yeah, a year and a half at least! Too long!

Linus

Quote from: Marc on October 10, 2014, 06:09:37 AM
That's sweet. And her secret boyfriend James had the same feelings. But she wasn't able to accept his love anymore, nor Donna's love, nor the love of her angels. "James is sweet ... but so dumb. And I can only take so much of sweet!"

Yes, it's sweet, but what would hopefully make all the difference, compared to James' ignorant method, would be to also understand her and accept her, warts and all. :)

Because I was always under the impression that James (nor anyone else for that matter) never understood Laura and her shame. And for that reason, the sweetness of James and others was not only pointless, but hurt Laura even more because she felt it was undeserved, perpetuating her feelings of guilt.

In hindsight, I think this whole paradox of the destructive façade of innocence is pinpointed the most accurately by the well-meaning ignorance (or cowardly avoidance) of Harry in the pilot:

Cooper: "What we have taped to the page here is a plastic envelope containing a white residue [...] And my bet is it'll test positive for cocaine."
Harry: "That's impossible."
Cooper: "You ever been surprised before?"
Harry: "Mr. Cooper, you didn't know Laura Palmer."

I think that, what you wish at night, is already delivered, in a more spiritual way, in that final scene of Fire Walk With Me. Even though Laura had left the angels, the angels themselves never left her, they still loved her.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's just my sentimentality that says, "Oh, if only before she had to die ..." :-\

Marc

Quote from: Linus on October 11, 2014, 12:27:57 AM
[....]
I agree wholeheartedly. It's just my sentimentality that says, "Oh, if only before she had to die ..." :-\

And now, who's the next female victim we want to help/comfort/guide/protect?

Shelly Johnson?

I think she's in danger, as her beloved ;) husband Leo realized.

She's kissed by FBI chief Gordon Cole in the Double R and Gordon is completely mesmerized by her.

Gordon Cole: WHAT A BEAUTY .... KINDA REMINDS ME OF THAT STATUE, THE ... BABE WITHOUT THE ARMS!
Dale Cooper: Venus de Milo.

And a copy of Venus de Milo is standing in the hallway of the Black Lodge's Waiting Room.

[shiver]

WAS SHELLY JOHNSON INTENDED TO BE THE NEXT VICTIM OF KILLER BOB?

Tune in .... next 2016.

;D

Linus

Quote from: Marc on October 12, 2014, 10:25:19 AM
And now, who's the next female victim we want to help/comfort/guide/protect?

Shelly Johnson?

Could be! Though perhaps she is a bit too fragile to be the one. I have a feeling Lynch would pick someone who seems strong and good on the outside and then slowly tear her/him apart before he kills her/him off. Harry S. Truman would be delicious: seemingly strong and brave, but on the inside something is eating him up. *bam-bam-baaahm!*

Gordon Cole: WHAT A BEAUTY .... KINDA REMINDS ME OF THAT STATUE, THE ... BABE WITHOUT THE ARMS!
Dale Cooper: Venus de Milo.

And a copy of Venus de Milo is standing in the hallway of the Black Lodge's Waiting Room.

[shiver]

Good catch! I don't think I ever noticed that. (Love the caps, BTW. ;D)

Rinaldo

Quote from: Linus on October 13, 2014, 03:02:41 AMI have a feeling Lynch would pick someone who seems strong and good on the outside and then slowly tear her/him apart before he kills her/him off.

Well, the good Dale is in the Lodge and he can't leave...

Cato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 06, 2015, 06:43:55 AM
Well, it's dead again...
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/david-lynch-wont-helm-twin-peaks-revival-115613156785.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

I saw that yesterday: I wonder if it is a way for Lynch and his agents to squeeeeeze more money out of the network.

"Showtime also loves the world of 'Twin Peaks' and we continue to hold out hope that we can bring it back in all its glory with both of its extraordinary creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, at its helm."

That seems to indicate that the negotiations are not over...yet.  ;)

See:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/twin-peaks-david-lych-leaves-as-director-1201466709/
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Rinaldo

Not dead at all - as long as the original actors don't start dropping out because of Lynch leaving the production..

Artem

I'm curious about it. Interesting that two of my favorite shows X-Files and Twin Peaks are supposed to reappear this year.

I have fond memories of watching both shows. I was very young. For some reason we didn't have electricity in our apartment for the finale of Twin Peaks. So I asked to mother to talk to our neighbors one floor below us to let me watch the show at their place. They agreed, but they never watched it themselves and I think they found it very strange.